Don't ever use Square payment processing ever again.

Discussion in 'Company Review Forum' started by CharlesT, Apr 4, 2013.

1. CharlesT

CharlesT New Member

I recently sold a rifle on Gunbroker and used Square to accept payment for the rifle.

My funds had not been deposited into my account in 7 days.
    I emailed them asking why and here is what they said...

And the email I sent back

Here is their website
    https://squareup.com/

Here is their Support Email
    compliance@help-messaging.squareup.com

I will update when I get an answer back.

2. robertb6112

robertb6112 New Member

That sucks my dad uses it in are sheet metal shop. I've never seen anything about guns, but I did see for drugs or illegal substances in the user agreement. But how would square know what is being purchased?

3. CharlesT

CharlesT New Member

I don't have any idea.
    I hate how they group firearms with illegal substances and unlawful things.
    It is a protected right.
    Although, the 1st amendment allows them to restrict sales on whatever they want.

4. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Did you get your money?

5. CharlesT

CharlesT New Member

He has not responded yet.

6. kytowboater

Hope you do...

7. CharlesT

CharlesT New Member

Thanks. I am kind of nervous.
    and I am pissed off. I just sold a pistol on GB and I am going to have to tell the buyer that I can no longer take the CC sale we agreed on.

If you have a problem with their policy please email them and let them know.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

I would not buy or sell on the internet until things cool down. The anti gun rage is politically correct right now. This will fade in time. :(

9. Wolvee

Wolvee New Member

This is odd because my local forum just had a group buy of 100 AR15 lowers @ $250ea go through without issue with Square.

It wasn't with GB but with a firearms manufacturer.

10. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

These types of issues have been going on for years,Paypal will freeze your account if they know it is a firearms transaction.
    I have bought/sold many firearms on Gunbroker and other auction sites over the years,but have always requested paying or receiving a Postal Money Order for payment. It may take a couple days longer to get it,but I know the money will be in my account when I do!

11. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

The real issue is because gun laws vary from state to state, not the company, they are just covering their ***.. eBay won't allow me to sell some 15 round mags, something about California. You're WAYYYYYY over reacting and clearly didn't read the user agreement closely enough.

Seriously, I hope you get every cent that is owed to you, but be realistic, the way gun laws vary from state to state 'Square' is only doing what I'm sure they have to to stay in business. Like you, they don't make laws but they have to follow them. Be mad at the government and the system that allows laws that restrict sales of this nature.

12. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I would go with the postal money order. You can take it to the post office and they can tell if it is fake before you deposit a fake and get the sad news

13. bluebikerboy1

bluebikerboy1 New Member

and all this time this money is held up in there (squares) escrow accounts drawing interest........

14. CharlesT

CharlesT New Member

15. kytowboater

Glad to hear it.

16. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

To be perfectly fair, Square does NOT discriminate against firearms purchases like PayPal does. Square is used by many merchants and gun dealers at the gun shows I attend. Square's issue was the fact that the card user was not physically present and the card swiped. Nothing stops a kid like Adam Lanza from grabbing Mommy's Visa and making a transaction over the Internet, therefore, Square simply wants the card holder present when the transaction is made. For a weapon, this policy seems to be fair to protect Square as well as it's users from liability issues later on. I would at least not include Square way down at the level of PayPal and its' communist ilk.

It also may help to explain to Square that you were sending the weapon to a federally-licensed FFL dealer and that the card holder would be filling out paperwork for a background check which would be run through crime computers and his Identification confirmed, not just simply mailing it to a P.O. Box. Every time someone hears "Internet sale" of a firearm, they assume we are sending it to a dead drop or remailing service and don't care what is on the other end. Obviously, this is another field where we need to diligently re-educate people.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  17. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

:cool: glad to hear it

18. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

To put this quite bluntly, you broke the rules. Did they arbitrarily change the rules just to get you? No, they didn't. Were the rules available for your inspection before you opened the account? Yes, they were. This is NOT their fault. Like the great majority of us you didn't read the EULA and it bit you in the butt. Show some personal responsibility and place the blame where it really lies. If it was me, I would be writing them a thank you letter for completing the transaction they were under no obligation to perform.

19. knfxda

knfxda New Member

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  20. CharlesT

CharlesT New Member

See? I posted this on a number of gun forums and they all defended Square.
    NOW WHAT, YOU SKEPTICS?
    :mad: