Don't Do That Dudes

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by elmerfudge, Apr 6, 2012.

1. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

Last three times at my outdoor range, a boyfriend, dad or husband introduced his girlfriend, daughter or wife to handgun shooting using a compact or sub compact .40 or .45.

First thing apparent was that the dude had not gone over gun handling or safety prior to handing a loaded weapon to the female. Then it was a quick two minute review and then telling her to fire away. BTW - this was the 50' range; not 25'.

One female shot only once, handed the Glock 36 to the dude and sat on the bench the rest of the time never firing again.

Another screamed rather loudly after each shot and, thank goodness, left with her boyfriend after a box of hardballs were shot between them.

The third actually drop the piece on the table twice shooting one clip.

Needless to say, several of us stood nervously behind the yellow line wondering where the hell the range master was hiding. Smart man.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I did not start off shooting a large caliber hand cannon. I'll bet most of us old farts started off with a .22 of some sorts.

If you want to teach someone (kid, whoever) the art of shooting, start out at home going over gun safety, gun handling, etc., etc. Don't expect a beginner to enjoy shooting your compact .40 or .45. Start them off with a .22 on the short range.

Just my opinion...

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I fully agree. Thank God I was introduced to guns by someone much more considerate than that.

3. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I think those here or on other firearm forums probably know better. The challenge is getting those who don’t realize the harm they’re doing, aware of it, and getting those who are aware of it and think its funny, to change their sense of humor.

4. readygirl

readygirl New Member

My dad started me out with a RUGER .22 auto, and a MARLIN model 60, i still have both those guns,and enjoy them all the time, plinking around the barn,etc. But i did learn to love shooting, and guns in general before moving up to heavy artillery LOL......

5. winds-of-change

Heavy artillary? I'm impressed. :eek:

6. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I totally agree. If the first introduction to firearms has a negative effect you are not doing the Second Amendment any good. Start them off easy and work them up.

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Dudes that do that kind of crap to their women are nothing but douche bags.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

IMO, the student I would never want (but I have made exceptions) is my wife or significant other.

BUT, on the other hand, the wife or significant other is introduced to a side of me seldom seen.

9. ProCarry

ProCarry New Member

Agree 100%

I also hate when guys think its funny, they do it purposely so they can film it and post on Youtube or somewhere of the likes.
    IMO, that makes US look bad

10. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

When my asked me to help her learn to shoot, we went to an abandoned gas well site on my deer lease and she learned to shoot my Ruger Blackhawk .357 with .38 spl. I found out rather quickly I did not want her shooting at me. :D

She later picked her own revolver, S&W J frame airweight .38 spl.

11. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Not a good idea to start a rookie with a caliber that's going to hurt their hand and blow their eardrums out. Best intro to shooting IMO will always be a .22. I'm always surprised by the range safety stories I read posted here. It makes me wonder just WTF some of these range owners/operators are thinking.

12. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Well put. :D

13. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Agree! My brother in law did this to my sister.

Thomas

14. fmj

fmj Active Member

I have popped off on a few douchbags i have seen doing this at ranges. Then kindly explained what he was doing. (teaching to flinch and NOT focus on trigger squeeze/marksmanship) When available i then offer up my .22 or .38.

When they try to argue i typically reference my lady and her "mad skills".;)

After starting many moons ago with the .22 THIS is what she can do with the Ruger .44 Carbine.
    [​IMG]

there IS room for improvement, but she is working on it.

15. elmerfudge

elmerfudge New Member

Back today to my outdoor range. Shot about 300 rounds thru my Ruger Mark III on the 50' range.

About half way thru my finger exercise, a 30ish dude and his wife set up two lanes down from me. This was a near perfect repeat of my previous comments.

Dude pulls out a full size Glock .40, shoots a clip and then loads a new one for his bride. Very evident she had not shot before. Doubt she had ever held this piece or any other to get the feel.

Blah, blah, instruction, blah, shoot.

She shot 3 rounds and handed it back. Every few minutes he got her to shoot a couple of rounds but she was not enjoying it.

I started up a conversation with them and diplomatically offered to let her shoot my .22. She ended up shooting off 3 clips enjoying it a lot.

Turned out the dude had a Mark II at home.

I may have torqued him off a bit but she liked shooting my Mark III much more than his hand cannon.

Sorry if I'm harping on this but common sense and consideration can go a long way in gaining a family shooting partner.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

I've done such a thing twice, and both times I gave fair warning and told the 2 different ladies that my guns were not starter guns.

My wife: I had a rossi .357 snubbie. She insisted she needed to check it out, I insisted we needed to get my mom's .22 pistol to start with. As with every damn thing else, she won. She ended up throwing the gun away from her.

My sis in law: She just wanted to try my 1911. I gave her fair warning and told her she likely wouldn't enjoy it, she wanted to try anyway. It scared her, but she controlled herself better than my wife did, at least she held onto it.

17. winds-of-change

I agree. Whenever someone wants me to try a gun I'm not familiar with I ask them to shoot it first so I can see how it's going to act when fired. Then I have an idea when I go to shoot it. I'm a little more experienced now and I have a good idea what caliber in what sized gun might do when shot. But when I went to the range for the first time, I mostly shot rifles and I tried one handgun but it scared me. I set it down after one shot and stuck with the rifles. I believe the handgun was a full sized Glock .380.

18. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

Hmmm... My first was a SKS..

I taught my GF to shoot not to long ago, started her off with my Weatherby Mk. XXII and the Medusa.. Granted it was only with some light plinking .38 wadcutters.. (The wonders of reloading.. ;) )

19. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I started my wife on a 22 and moved up to a 38spl. Same with the kids.

20. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

I was at the range the other day and a couple of guys were trying to get their girlfriends to shoot their Glock .40's. Both of them shot one magazine and then wouldn't shoot again. I hate to say it, but I have seen guys at the range who actually think it is beneath them to shoot .22s. I almost asked the girls if they wanted to shoot my new Browning 1911 .22 A1, but their boyfriends didn't look like the type who would have appreciated that.