Done!

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by RMP1394-RLTW, Feb 9, 2012.

1. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

Well, I finally finished my build! That lower sat all finished waiting for the upper to come in for over a month. Not to mention that I bought parts and the lower over a 3 month period. Here is the list:

PSA lower
    RRA LPK
    VLTOR IMOD stock
    PSA striped upper
    YHM 1:7 barrel 16"
    YHM free float, rifle length diamond rail
    Leatherwood CMR 1-4 optic with Burris PEPR mount.

This is my first, I was planning to order a complete upper but my LGS talked me into building. He was great and let me use all of his tools and guided me through the upper build. If anyone is in Tampa, fl area hit me up, he is new and his prices are fantastic. Best part is he is not some GI Joe cowboy pr!ck like so many other gunshop owners can be (at least around here)!

I hope the pics post, haven't done this either on the phone. Range report after the weekend, I have a lot of ammo to put together!

Ryan...RLTW!

Attached Files:

2. ZombieKiller83

ZombieKiller83 New Member

Good looking rifle, well done! Only downfall is that thing is way too clean :p

3. treehugger49

treehugger49 New Member

.....and they are never really "done."

4. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

Not really into flashlights and lasers and such. Had my fun with that stuff in the military. Not planning to kick any doors in the near future (unfortunately). I am going to mount a sling so it is easier to carry on the 4wheeler. This was built for close range hog and deer hunting in Florida and Georgia.

Next step is to research premium bullets and come up with an accurate load.

Ryan...RLTW!

5. ZombieKiller83

I meant you need go shoot that sucker and get it dirty :p

6. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

Oops, I hear ya! I have been trimming brass all night. Hopefully I will be all loaded with at lease 100 rounds by tomorrow at the latest. I will post pics of the targets as far as grouping goes.

The trigger seems really heavy. Smooth, but still heavy, I would bet 7-8 lbs. will this lighten up or do I need to change springs?

Ryan...RLTW!

7. ZombieKiller83

The only thing that changed on my stock, milspec trigger after 1000 + rounds was it got just a little bit smoother with the same heavy pull but i adapted to it and learned to like it. Of course ended up picking up a Geissele SSA two stage trigger for my next build and absolutely love it so far. As soon as i finish my new rifle, the milspec trigger will go back into my SHTF rifle
    (would much rather have a heavy trigger so as to guarantee the gun only goes off if i want it to while under stress-i'm guessing this is why the military came up with that specification in the first place)and the Geissele into my new rifle. That's just my preference though YMMV.

8. ttdub

ttdub New Member

9. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

I was able to get out and shoot today. This rifle performed flawless! It wasn't a very good test since I didn't get to run much ammo through it. I started with zeroing at 25, 50, & finally 100 yds.

Once I got it dialed in with some hand loads I made for my dad, I started with the attached target ( fired at 25 yds). I made 3 ea bullets of progressing load increasing in 1/2 grain increments starting with 23 gr (H335 was the powder). This is a new powder for me so I really didn't know how it would perform. At the bottom of the target, I loaded some Barnes 62gr xbullets with 24.5 gr of H335. As you can see it shoots much better than I can. I was happy with the results an incredibly happy with the rifle.

I think that the 23 gr load grouping was a fluke but I was in a hurry and couldn't load any more sample rounds before I left for the range. I need to duplicate this test again with more ammo to be sure before I start cranking out the ammo.

I fired these groups using the mag as a support. I really need to get a rest one of these days.

Thanks for ready and I welcome your comments (good or bad). I was planning to buy a colt defender as my next purchase (probably not until next year). But after this build I am really thinking about a light weight carbine to resemble my M4 from the military. Less the select fire option and 14.5" barrel of course.

By the way, all this bushmaster bashing going on, my m4 was a bushmaster. I was in a special operations unit an we had a mix of Colts and bushmasters. I put thousands upon thousands of rounds through it over 4 years and never once had a single hiccup!

Thanks for reading gentlemen!

Ryan...RLTW!

Attached Files:

10. ZombieKiller83

Nothing beats the first shots out of your freshly built AR, can't wait to feel it again :D. Those are some pretty good groups bud, you should be proud of that right there, enjoy your new firearm :cool: Good shooting

11. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

I couldn't stand it anymore! Today I ordered my new Troy 15" alpha rail w/o sight and aimpoint pro RDS. I will post pics of the rifle once it is complete.

Ryan...RLTW!

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Was there something wrong with the YHM rail? Why did you decide to change rails after only 2 months? :confused:

13. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

Nothing wrong with the rail, just made an impulse buy. I didn't like how large the diameter was on the rail.

Once again, another reason to be sure to look at as many different set ups before making a purchase! Once I saw how the Troy rail looked on MJK's AR I was in love. PSA is currently having a decent sale on Troy stuff if anyone is interested.

Ryan...RLTW!

14. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

The best thing about the Troy tubes, even better then their looks, is the build quality and weight. The o.d. isn't to shabby either. I don't even use any sort of hang stop. Just wrap my hand around the rail like I'm alone in the bathroom. IMO it's definitely an improvement.

15. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Like that :D

[​IMG]

16. MikeJK

MikeJK New Member

Looks good PH

17. silverado113

silverado113 New Member

Noticed you're in Tampa, where do you shoot at? I was down there visiting family last month and went to Shoot Straight's range on HWY 301. Pretty nice place and some great eye candy in there.

18. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

Ryan, if you decide you want to sell that rail that's on there, send me a PM with your price. I may be interested!

19. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

Just like that! I was going to change the barrel as well but if I do that I may as well build another. I THINK I will be happy once I get the new rail and RDS installed. Hopefully my next build will be a 6.8 for hunting. I ordered a new lower and had it laser engraved with my unit DUI I am going to move my current stock onto the new lower and use my current lower for the 6.8 build. My plan is to take my time but once I get the stock in I think I am going to get impatient again!

Thanks!

Ryan...RLTW!

Attached Files:

20. RMP1394-RLTW

RMP1394-RLTW New Member

I do shoot at shoot straight and steal my brass from there as well! I have to say that I hate though. Most of the time I shoot at a friends house at his make shift range. I hate shooting indoors and I like to shoot the way I like to shoot! He has his "range" marked off out to 100yds.

Hit me up next time you are around, we can meet up at shoot straight.

Ryan...RLTW!