Firearms Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Definitely not berdan. I managed to decap some of it with my old decapping pin before it gave up. It's "Igman" brand stuff that my son bought a couple of boxes of from Rural King. It's crimped and sealed (assuming lacquer).

Just not worth the effort and decapping pins for 25-ish cases. Once fired 223/5.56 that's been decapped, cleaned and trimmed is cheap. Son bought 1000 once fired cases a few weeks ago. Was supposed to be all Hornady, but they sent 500 Lake City and 500 Hornady, all decapped, tumbled and trimmed for $99.

I'm converting 250 of the Hornady to 300 Blackout (got 100 done so far). Figured if I could decap the Igman, I'd just make 300 out of it, but meh.
Doesn't sound too awful bad for that much brass. It can come from much more expensive places.....like new ammo.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Hydro,
Very Nice Bench. Wow I am envious It is too frippen organized!:p But as I said if you have access to thousands of rounds of 5.56 it might be worth the buying the tools.
I do have one question when you were removing the Primers from the 5.56 NATO Brass and breaking your tool. Did your press have any Flex during the operation. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Press.
You have a great set up. I really like it!:)

Here is my little Bench with my 338 Lapua Magnum Rifle on it. I have a RCBS Rock Chucker Loading Press as I mentioned. I have it mounted on a heavy Steel portable Drill Press Stand
So I can move it around. Which leaves my smaller Bench open.
View attachment 247388
Sniper, we are both "bench poor" compared to Hydro. I just need one, period. I don't really want to make one but if I have to I will.

·
Premium Member
3,307 Posts
Back when we all lived in caves, I just used the manual method.

Torch lit, hold the base of the brass with thumb and finger, cartridge into flame & twirl it, when very warm to hold, into the water. Rinse and repeat. It worked because I reloaded 5.56 a bunch of times before it wore out. But then I'm a simple minded, deplorable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts