Domestic Abuse

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by nate913, Jun 19, 2013.

1. nate913

nate913 New Member

I got into a debate with a friend after watching IraqVet on YouTube. Of someone has a domestic abuse on there record. Are they able to have handguns. From what I thought, if owned them before, you can get but can't buy for 5 years? IraqVet YouTube channel said that you can not

2. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I,m no lawyer , but associate (Domestic Abuse) with a (Felony) ..!
    I would think , no guns..? :confused:

3. nate913

nate913 New Member

Domestic abuse is not a felony

4. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

In my state (Ky) a domestic can get a permit holders permit pulled. But I don't think it will not allow them to purchase. But I have no real reference for that.

5. dango

What am I thinking..? (domestic violence)..? :confused:

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

OK- from the start- I am not a lawyer. If you need legal advice, see a lawyer, not an internet forum- since NONE of us will be sitting in the cell beside you.

Having said that, as I understand the FEDERAL law on this- If you have been CONVICTED of a crime of Domestic Violence- misdemeanor or felony, it is illegal for you to possess a firearm.

Period.

No "for 5 years" or any such thing.

Period. No. uh-uh. Nope. Nyet. Nein. Not ever. Unless you get a pardon from the Governor or President.

Not a pistol, not a rifle, not a shotgun, not a round of ammo.

7. dango

8. nate913

nate913 New Member

This question was off the YouTube channel of IraqVet. I just heard them debate it and was wondering.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

It's serious enough that in the military, a member who has a domestic violence conviction, cannot stand armed watches. They can't qualify with firearms. Therefore retention in the military may be pretty short after a domestic violence conviction.

10. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

On the 4473, question 11, section I (Indigo), "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor domestic violence?"

This is a QUALIFYING question, is you answer YES you can NOT buy a firearm. I have turned down many customers because of this.

11. dango

Bottom line: Don 't let anything push your wrong button..! We all have the power to chose on what and when to act..!

We all have thoughts , our actions define our being..! All buttons OFF..! :)

12. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That is correct as far as I have heard.

Wow, that is interesting.

13. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Yup, any conviction of domestic violence will cause you to lose your right to ever own a firearm. Shove your significant other and pay a small fine? No more guns, ever.

This is one of the more ludacris parts of the law. No injury, no jail time, but no guns. In Texas Assault by Contact (no injury) and Assault by Threat are lClass C Misdemeanors punishable by a fine of up to $200 and NO jail time (the same as a traffic ticket. A conviction of either of these two offenses when the victim is a family member will get you out of the gun club.

14. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

When that got through the red tape in DC, a lot of LOE were disqualified also.

15. dango

No thanks , but have considered it lately..! :confused: :D

16. orangello

orangello New Member

I am NOT a fan of this law.

17. onenut58

onenut58 New Member

I have a friend facing that problem right now. He has to get his record esponged. That costs money and is not always possible. Any woman can call the cops on you and say you spit hit or pushed them and you can be convicted guilty or not and it happens all the time.
    I have no use for a man who beats a woman or kids but many men get convicted that didn't do what they were accused of.

18. orangello

orangello New Member

I think this is part of the reason some guys "go out for a pack of smokes" and don't ever come back.

I was at a buddy's house one recent evening, having a few beverages, when he was called in by his wife. The rest of us assumed he was being read a honey-do list or something and continued porch-chatting. He came back out, told us he had to split, and headed for his truck. I stopped him, since he had been drinking some beverages too, and asked what was up and if he was sure he wanted to be driving. He explained that they had been arguing and that she had started swinging, prompting him to leave and avoid getting mad enough to push her back. That stumped me: should I suggest he remain there and risk some kind of DV situation or should I let him drive with illegal breath? I suggested he go to a nearby buddy's place and let her cool off. Moral of the story: Don't drink with your wife if she is an unruly drunk. Doesn't make her a bad person, but she isn't somebody to be around if drinking to excess, and that isn't as simple if you are married to her. Obviously, roles can be reversed in this situation.

Easy enough for me from now on; I won't be around there if she is drinking in any significant quantity. Too bad; I am short on drinking buddies. :(

I had heard before that these two had past "conflicts" that were actually her "fault" and had assumed that to be questionable info. I have rethought my opinion on that info.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  19. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I believe (I don't really know) that if you are "accused" of Domestic Violence, the cops often(always?) confiscate all your firearms. Until such time as you are cleared of the charge.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Bingo...

...and I'm pretty sure that nifty BATF form we all fill out when purchasing a firearm specifically asks if you've ever been convicted of a felony...OR a misdemeanor Domestic Violence.

This was another piece of BS legislation the NRA buckled on.

It was never about protecting women...and always about expanding restrictions beyond felons... :mad:

...and NO... I've never hit my wife.

Tack