Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wife and I bought a pair of Springfield Hellcats the other week. So far I've only had the chance to run about 50 rounds through mine and in doing so, I was only loading 5 rounds in the mag at a time (the mags for this thing are incredibly hard to load by hand). Plus, that forces a break so I don't plow through ammo super fast.

So, fast forward to my little road trip through Ohio yesterday where I picked up an Uplula mag loader. Sitting here last night I decided to try it out and load up both mags to let them sit and break in the springs a little. So, I'm going to town with the Uplula (which works fantastic, by the way), and, what's this? Only 10 rounds? It's supposed to hold 13 in one and 11 in the non-extended one. So I pull out the other and it too only holds 10. I look at the back of the mag where the little holes are to show round count and lo and behold, it only goes to 10. What the heck? I get the wife's pistol out and hers show 11 and 13...and the mag bottom extensions are definitely different. Well, color me stupid (and pissed).

I specifically bought this thing partly because of the capacity, it's one of its selling points. I know they make a 10 round only version, but my understanding those are for the states that have capacity limit laws. So, today, I called the place I bought it and the guy seemed like he didn't want to do anything about it. He just said "Yeah, sometimes they send us the 10-round versions.." like oh well, tough buddy. I told him his salesman never disclosed that it was only the 10-round version because if he had, I wouldn't have bought it! I guess partially my fault for not checking, but I had no idea or would have even thought they would be shipping the 10-rounders to states that don't have the restriction. He eventually relented and said he would get me a 13 round mag for free, but it might take a while. I dunno, I kinda want the 13 and the 11 like I assumed I was getting. Heck, I'll even give them the 10-rounders in exchange and they can resell them and make some money, but he made me feel like it was a bit of a bother and that he didn't seem to understand "the big deal" over it.

If mags weren't $40 each, I probably would just go buy them and not worry about it, but damn, $80 isn't chump change. Am I wrong in feeling like they should make it right?

·
Premium Member
3,811 Posts
I would think that if it was advertised or listed as a 13-rounder but that's not what you were sold, then that's a problem that should be rectified. You'd be on solid legal ground, just based on that.

Is this shop an authorized Springfield Armory dealer? If an authorized dealer, then perhaps you can speak with Springfield Armory themselves and ask what they suggest you do in this case. They might well spring for a set of 13rd mags to swap for your 10rd examples.

I've purchased numerous handguns over the years for self-defense purposes and I tend to be very cautious and deliberate during the evaluation and purchasing stage. This sort of thing is exactly what I wouldn't want to occur: that something was other than I was expecting, on a major feature that was driving the purchase. On my very first pistol, I knew full well the magazines it came with were typically of the 10rd variety, but that it was designed as a 15rd gun. Was the devil's own problem to track down any 15rd magazines on the open market, s those things had all been snapped up with the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban nearing implementation. Took me more than a year to find a handful of the 15rd mags, as the manufacturer wasn't going to help in my case (consignment purchase from a general sporting goods shop, not an auth. dealer). I hate "getting it wrong" during purchasing, if I could have slowed down the evaluation and caught the issue.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, definitely one of those moments. We had been so focused on evaluating several pistols on our list. We checked out an XD and didn't like them, I tried the Kimber Micro 9, lovely gun, but didn't like how it felt in my hand, wife didn't like it either, then we tried the Sig P-365, it was ok and the wife liked it. We were leaning toward that, then we tried the Hellcat and there was no question at that point. With them so hard to find, I jumped on these since they are the OSP versions and just never thought to check the included magazines.

They weren't advertised, per se, they just had them, but considering the high capacity is one of the things Springfield advertises as a selling point and one of the reasons we chose it over the SIG, plus the fact Springfield does have the 10-rounder, I sure as heck would have made sure a customer knew it was the low cap version. Actually, if it were my shop, I wouldn't even sell the low cap version. Ah well, live and learn I guess.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Call Springfield, see if they will swap you out. Might have to pay shipping, but worth the call at least.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would be nuisance to the shop, to the point of their making it right or blocking me.
At which point, I would be "advertising" their lack of integrity and service, to everyone I encountered.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Unless the store is a direct dealer for Springfield firearms, they more than likely get all of their firearms from wholesale distributer's. They really only have the choice of getting what gun's the distributer has in stock, no matter the magazine capacity.
While it sucks that you bought a "Regulated Capacity" firearm, it actually comes down to you " The Buyer" to check out everything about a firearm before you purchase it. The case or box the firearm came in probably states that it is a 10 round capacity magazine gun.

I'd contact Springfield and see if they will help you out. It's not the dealers fault that you didn't catch the difference.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take the high cap mag when/if they get one in and leave it at that. I accept that part of the responsibility was on me to check, but given that they knew this and given what is known about regulations and the fact this gun is distributed in different capacities, I would think they would have told me up front. Perhaps it's just my opinion, but if it were my shop, I'd be telling prospective customers up front just so they know.

·
Premium Member
12,635 Posts
The seller should have called your attention to it. Then he should have offered to help with procuring the magazines you wanted. Some gunshops are riding the wave of all of the panic purchases, and forgetting about customer service. We will have to remind them of it when the tide turns; and the tide will turn..... I know I have some gougers and smirkers on my list that will never see another dime of my money.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Perhaps an enterprising employee/seller has switched magazines, replacing hi-caps with 10-rounders. Hi-caps are in big demand, bring more $. Just a thought. Stay on their butt.

·
Supporting Member
12,199 Posts
Hydro

From the Springfield Add!
Right out of the box the Hellcat comes with two magazines, a patented 11-round mag with pinky extension and a 13-round extended mag. A flush plate is also included to give the pistol as small of a footprint as possible.

So if you have two 11 Round Magazines with your guns the chances are the Dealer probably has removed the 13 Round Magazines because he can sell them for more than the 11 Round Magazines. Or he and a buddy wanted the 13 Round Magazines and put their 11 Round Mags in your Boxes? Hopefully he is a Springfield Armory Dealer. If he is? I would call Springfield directly and report that! And explain what was done. Because as stated above in the Springfield Add it comes with an 11 & a 13 Round Magazine with the Pistol!

·
Registered
593 Posts
So the wife and I bought a pair of Springfield Hellcats the other week. So far I've only had the chance to run about 50 rounds through mine and in doing so, I was only loading 5 rounds in the mag at a time (the mags for this thing are incredibly hard to load by hand). Plus, that forces a break so I don't plow through ammo super fast.

So, fast forward to my little road trip through Ohio yesterday where I picked up an Uplula mag loader. Sitting here last night I decided to try it out and load up both mags to let them sit and break in the springs a little. So, I'm going to town with the Uplula (which works fantastic, by the way), and, what's this? Only 10 rounds? It's supposed to hold 13 in one and 11 in the non-extended one. So I pull out the other and it too only holds 10. I look at the back of the mag where the little holes are to show round count and lo and behold, it only goes to 10. What the heck? I get the wife's pistol out and hers show 11 and 13...and the mag bottom extensions are definitely different. Well, color me stupid (and pissed).

I specifically bought this thing partly because of the capacity, it's one of its selling points. I know they make a 10 round only version, but my understanding those are for the states that have capacity limit laws. So, today, I called the place I bought it and the guy seemed like he didn't want to do anything about it. He just said "Yeah, sometimes they send us the 10-round versions.." like oh well, tough buddy. I told him his salesman never disclosed that it was only the 10-round version because if he had, I wouldn't have bought it! I guess partially my fault for not checking, but I had no idea or would have even thought they would be shipping the 10-rounders to states that don't have the restriction. He eventually relented and said he would get me a 13 round mag for free, but it might take a while. I dunno, I kinda want the 13 and the 11 like I assumed I was getting. Heck, I'll even give them the 10-rounders in exchange and they can resell them and make some money, but he made me feel like it was a bit of a bother and that he didn't seem to understand "the big deal" over it.

If mags weren't $40 each, I probably would just go buy them and not worry about it, but damn, $80 isn't chump change. Am I wrong in feeling like they should make it right?
It is your fault Hydro, don't you know you're supposed to know to check every little thing and know exactly what questions to ask before anything happens that you can't anticipate or even dream up? I can't stand dealing with people like that. You might have more patience than I have. Go get 'em. I don't know how some places stay in business.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The shop did not switch mags. Looking at the box, on one of the stickers on the side with the UPC code and barcode, it says "Hellcat 3" Pistol BLK OSP Low Cap", so there we go. It's a factory "low capacity" (i.e. 10-round) package.

Part of me just face palms and is a bit embarrassed for not thoroughly checking and part of me is questioning why in the h3ll Springfield is sending low cap packages to shops in non-regulated states and why the shop, knowing full well they were getting them, doesn't make that known up front.

The shop said they would get me a high cap mag for free because "they want me to be happy", but it's the way he said it that irritates me too, he seemed to have a tone as if he was thinking I am a jackarse, but he's going to do this anyway. Sad, because I like the shop, the employees are very friendly, they have a good selection of stuff, their prices are decent. They also have a buy-in weekly drawing, $5 a week, you can pay for as many weeks as you want for the year and at the end of the year, if you don't win anything, you get store credit for the full amount you paid into the drawing.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The shop did not switch mags. Looking at the box, on one of the stickers on the side with the UPC code and barcode, it says "Hellcat 3" Pistol BLK OSP Low Cap", so there we go. It's a factory "low capacity" (i.e. 10-round) package.

Part of me just face palms and is a bit embarrassed for not thoroughly checking and part of me is questioning why in the h3ll Springfield is sending low cap packages to shops in non-regulated states and why the shop, knowing full well they were getting them, doesn't make that known up front.

The shop said they would get me a high cap mag for free because "they want me to be happy", but it's the way he said it that irritates me too, he seemed to have a tone as if he was thinking I am a jackarse, but he's going to do this anyway. Sad, because I like the shop, the employees are very friendly, they have a good selection of stuff, their prices are decent. They also have a buy-in weekly drawing, $5 a week, you can pay for as many weeks as you want for the year and at the end of the year, if you don't win anything, you get store credit for the full amount you paid into the drawing.
Good on you. Attitudes and tonality are not forgotten in retail environments.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
You had the box and the gun and the magazines in your hand and you didn't bother to look?

That's on you

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You had the box and the gun and the magazines in your hand and you didn't bother to look?

That's on you
Actually, I had the gun in my hand, the box and accessories were in the back room. After the background check came through, he put the box on the counter and while he was finishing the papers, I did check to make sure everything was there, but I did not inspect each mag individually or read the bardcode label...but at the same time, I had no inkling that I should have had to. I'm sure had I gotten home and found something broken, bent, or wrong, the shop would have been all over it to take care of that. When I called concerning this being a low cap version, had it been a case of "Yes, we get those in, but the salesman should have pointed that out, our bad, we'll take care of it" then no problem, but they came off with a "yeah well, whatever" attitude.

Anyway, I've already said it, they are going to get me a high cap mag, I accept that. I was planning to carry that mag anyway, not the 11 rounder. I accept part of it is on me, so that's why I'm not jumping up and down on them about it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Actually, I had the gun in my hand, the box and accessories were in the back room. After the background check came through, he put the box on the counter and while he was finishing the papers, I did check to make sure everything was there, but I did not inspect each mag individually or read the bardcode label...but at the same time, I had no inkling that I should have had to. I'm sure had I gotten home and found something broken, bent, or wrong, the shop would have been all over it to take care of that. When I called concerning this being a low cap version, had it been a case of "Yes, we get those in, but the salesman should have pointed that out, our bad, we'll take care of it" then no problem, but they came off with a "yeah well, whatever" attitude.

Anyway, I've already said it, they are going to get me a high cap mag, I accept that. I was planning to carry that mag anyway, not the 11 rounder. I accept part of it is on me, so that's why I'm not jumping up and down on them about it.
I bet you won't make that mistake again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts