Dogs. And Life

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Vikingdad, Apr 6, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I am not the author of this, it came in an email on the internet.

Vikingdad.

The purpose of a dog!Don’t miss the text at the bottom.

A Dog's Purpose?
    (from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
    Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,

''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

Live simply.

Love generously.

Care deeply.

Speak kindly.

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride.

Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by, and nuzzle them gently.

--
    There comes a time in life, when you walk away from all the drama
    and people who create it. You surround yourself with people who
    make you laugh, forget the bad, and focus on the good. So, love
    the people who treat you right. Think good thoughts for the ones
    who don't. Life is too short to be anything but happy. Falling down
    is part of LIFE...Getting back up is LIVING...

Have a great life.

2. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Thank You for sharing that with us.

3. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. Josh Billings

4. aztman

aztman New Member

I will give you a dog story. my dog a ten year old boxer disappeared on a friday night and I was pissed. I had recently relocated to downtown phoenix so I figured he was gone. eight days later he showed up at the front door. wow what a suprise he was healthy but had lost about 15 pounds. he looked like a bull elk after the rut!

5. FatTire

FatTire New Member

If you want to see who loves you
    More, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk, open in an hour, and see which one is happy to see you:)

6. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

+100 dam straight, i wouldn't suggest trying it in real life though :eek: ;)

7. vincent

vincent New Member

Here's the visual for Dodger's quote...

Great post Vikingdad!!

Attached Files:

8. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

Nice pic Vincent! Thanks dude

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

awesome post there Vikingdad! too bad people don't take more inspiration and direction from dogs. dogs don't have ulterior motives. dogs accept you even when you haven't shaved or dressed up. dogs aren't materialistic. they don't care how much money you earn. they won't ever stab you in the back. dogs are totally loyal. yeah, people could learn a lot from a dog.

10. fmj

fmj New Member

Always remember DOG spelled backwards is GOD!!

Had to do a "random act of kindness" for one of my classes. I chose to volunteer at a dog pound...just more reaffirmation as to why i prefer the company of the lowliest cur to that of a human of highest standing.

We are a disgusting filthy species to do the things we do to dogs!

The BEST fishing buddy/buddy PERIOD..... EVER!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. aztman

aztman New Member

Here he is

Attached Files:

12. downsouth

downsouth New Member

Thought this was a good time to dig this up.

ForumRunner_20120105_101402.jpg

13. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, certainly not the meanest.. but he is loyal,lovable,obedient and protective of his family.. And he is always there to cry when i walk out the door and greet me when i walk in like he hasn't seen me in years.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners.

You can tell a good dog owner by the fact that he has a well built kennel in the back of the house with a nice doghouse, piped in water, shade and a good view of the area. It also is overgrown with weeds and obviously rarely used. Inside the house there are well worn depressions in the furniture and when guests come over the dogs get all confused when the owner tells them to get off.

15. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I sleep with my three dogs. :D

What the heck.......................no one else will. ROFL!!

16. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Lol.. thats the one place I draw the line. Especially after I just bought one of those "sleep number" beds. The last picture of my dog sleeping is on his love seat. He has his own couch, also a 10" thick "Kong" bed and completely carpet lined crate (which he is very rarely in). I'd say he has it pretty well.

17. fmj

fmj New Member

NO DOGS ON THE FURNITURE!! is the rule in this house.

That being said, Champ has 2 of the largest foam pads they sell at wally whirled, each doubled over, making for a 4" foam pad that is his bed.

Hell i dont even put him on his lead anymore. He knows his yard and its boundries well...God help you if YOU step over that boundry and he doesnt know/like you! Leashes and leads (his lead is a 20 foot cable attached to 30 foot of cable running from the front door to the front tree) i use as a training technique (read: punishment)

18. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Yeah, I'll admit that we don't allow them on the furniture either. They do get up at night though. The one Springer has this wierd thing that he likes to sleep with his head on shoes or if not shoes then something lumpy like the base to an office chair. :confused:.

19. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

My dog does the same thing. He likes to sleep with his head on shoes or feet. He also does that while chewing his toys or bones. I find pieces of them when I put my work boots on almost every day.
    I never understood why he does it, but he never chewed my shoes, so it doesnt bother me.

20. fmj

fmj New Member

they think they are human!

My mom bought Champ a "dog bed"for his christmas present., LOL, shes OBVIOUSLY used to her yorkie-poo and forgot just how big Champ is...he uses the bed she bought for him as a pillow!

[​IMG]