Dog or alarm system

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Samhain, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Samhain

Samhain New Member

How many people here own a dog rather then an alarm system?
    I have always had a dog in my house and I think people think twice before
    breaking into a home with a dog.

2. carl11acr

carl11acr New Member

I have dogs and an alarm system and with the warning signs and the dogs I have had no problems what so ever but living in the sticks is also a plus.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008

3. GlenJohnson

GlenJohnson New Member

Dogs, with phony stickers for alarm systems. Everybody around knows we have dogs, which are behind a privacy fence. Their barks make them sound like a couple of killers. (Ever seen a dog lick a person to death?) :D

4. Righteous

Righteous New Member

they poisoned my 2 rotties, get a alarm as a back up

5. pioneer461

pioneer461 New Member

Here's my K-9 trained first line of defense. Her name is Kali, a Shepherd / Chow / Wolf.

[​IMG]

6. MarkoPo

MarkoPo New Member

I got a mutt. She's a pitbull/boxer/American bulldog mix. Got the barks of a ferocious killer, but the lick of a cow. She's friendly for the most part, but to hear her bark should deter any would be robbers.

7. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

I am sorry to hear that. I would be quite upset.

On topic, I live in a suburban area with a lab. She always barks when someone comes on the driveway. I feel no need for an alarm at this time.

8. Quasi

Quasi New Member

Two dogs that I love dearly and a pretty high-tech alarm system (cellular comm with web/pda access, X10, e-mail notifications) that I installed myself. Next step is a couple of exterior cameras.

9. marysdad

marysdad Member

Both. I believe in the concept of defense-in-depth. Monitored alarm, good locks & windows, dog, locked gun cabinets (totally out of sight), and an insurance policy. Oh, and I keep my mouth shut about the guns (one of the most important security measures and surely the cheapest).

10. notdku

notdku Administrator Staff Member

Dogs are great for when you are home. Trust a dog over an alarm but alarms are nice when you are not there esp. having fire alarm so if you house catches while you aren't home it gets caught fast.

11. fapprez

fapprez New Member

Before the baby, we had a pit/lab mix that would even keep our friends away. She was low and wide, weighed about 45lbs and had a HUGE bark. To be honest, it was one of the gentlest dogs I had ever owned. Only problem was, she didn't like kids:(

You don't have to feed an alarm, but you can't cuddle with 'em either.

12. GlenJohnson

GlenJohnson New Member

Getting a ray gun, (Oh, wrong post.) ;)

13. Chester

Chester New Member

I use to have a guard dog at my front door and another at my back door both dogs were man eaters