Dog does a number on my boots

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by DaughterofAres, Dec 2, 2013.

1. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

:eek: omg! NOT wearing these again :eek: Boyohboy wasn't I surprised this morning going for my boots! lol! Khaleesi (foster dog) took an extra shine to my snow boots last night. She ate everything!!! lmao!!! that's all that was left. :eek: I might be still laughing... Apparently, I have one item on my Christmas list now. lol!

Attached Files:

2. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Wow. He sure did a number on those boots. Fortunately, I have never had a dog that chewed anything valuable. Except for one that chewed my husband's credit card. LOL

3. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

A dog I raised as a puppy years ago (boxer/black lab) was a chewer. For two months straight he averaged $100 a week in damage. Furniture, shoes, clothes, hats, carpets and rugs, a new umbrella with a nice hole in the middle, you get the picture.

So I got the "idiots guide to dog training" as a Christmas gift, he ate half of that too. I took a picture of the half eaten book on the floor, put the camera on the table, he pulled it off and chewed it to pieces, film and all.

He grew into one hell of a good dog, whom I've mentioned several times on this forum.

4. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

Reminds me of the time I left my Coonhound out of the kennel to run loose in the fenced backyard and went to work one day.

He must have been convinced I was in the house and ignoring him. When I came home I found that he had removed the vinyl siding all the way across the back of the house as far up as he could reach (about 4ft.) Siding and insulation all over the back yard!!!

Mind you the house was bran new and I was recently married. The wife had a fit. She didn't stick around long anyway.

The dog, Elvis ended up being my good friend for the next 13 yrs. He recently had health issues and had to be put down. But he was a good dog and is missed every day.

image-1883553583.jpg

5. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

Wow, he had a field day with those, yikes

6. DaughterofAres

DaughterofAres New Member

I will give her the benefit of the doubt. I gave Khalisee an antler bone to chew on last night and I assume she got the two mixed up because it was dark right? Not because she loves Mom so much. Mom nom nom Mom We rescued her 2 months ago. I am happy her confidence is finally rising. lol!!!

Attached Files:

7. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Had a black lab in the late 70's, that up until she was 2 to 3 years old and still had puppy brains, would chew up strange things in the yard. She more than once chewed off most of the heat sink fins on a LawnBoy lawnmower, once chewed enough through the wire grate of the AC and got most all the heat sink fins of the condenser tube off the compressor, and continually dug up the lawn sprinklers.

Finally she grew out of that phase and become a good pheasant dog.

8. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

I got that book too. I beat my dog with it. ;)

9. rurak

rurak New Member

One of my customers has a long driveway with cast iron lamp posts every 75 feet. I mounted a cast aluminum box and receptacle on each post for xmas lights. That damn dog chewed all 12 receptacles and boxes right off the posts(about 40$ per setup not including my labor). I through bolted each box in two spots with 1/4-20 nuts and bolts ...... the dog has been shocked with 120 volts numerous times and just keeps coming .... I don't mind the work but the wires are getting kinda short to splice!!!!!!!

10. Gonzilla

Gonzilla New Member

Any dog behaviorist going to respond ? I heard a mixture of tabasco n vinegar solution applied to the furniture to make it less palitable to chew. No idea if it works.

I don't own any high end Italian leather shoes but if I did, I would hide them very, very high up. :D

11. primer1

Dogs chew objects mostly from boredom or separation anxiety. If its objects or clothing recently handled or worn, its probably separation anxiety. Keep chew toys available for the chewer. Not leaving in a hurry, sitting and calming the dog for ten minutes or so helps, along with regular exercise. This is what I read in my book before the dog ate it.

12. orangello

orangello New Member

Maybe you should pee in the new pair? Mark your territory. (does NOT work with cats)

13. JW357

JW357 New Member

My sister had a chocolate lab that shat out a whole sock one time.

Probably more than just one time, actually...

14. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Dogs were around 50,000 years before there were Psychologist. Have you every seen a Coyote den all manner of chewed up things. They are just being dogs.
    They never punish or judge us. They accept your anger and then lick your hand. If you ran out of food and water your dog would set with you until the end. Walmart has tons of boots, a good dog is a fleeting experience. :)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  15. emo

emo Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a dog that will carry one of my shoes around when I'm not home. Never chews it, just carries it around like a security blanket and sometimes goes to sleep with his nose in it. I wouldn't mind but he tends to drool!

16. primer1

How about a plastic grocery bag, while camping, while trying to impress some girls. Only it didn't come all the way out, he freaked, and started running from it. It followed him closely, swelling with air, which made him run faster. My cousin literally fell to the ground laughing.

17. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

Had a friend, that also had a lab, back in the early 80's that every time someone broke wind if front of the dog and/or within the dogs immediate smelling distance, the dog would hunker up and poop. It also would jump out of pickup truck beds at 45 mph all the time. Dog had something definitely wrong with it.

18. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

That is the key. If possible, don't give the dog an opportunity to be a 'bad dog'.

My little Pug used to take my shoes and sleep with them, too.

What the heck? After the first time the dog jumped out of the truck, it shouldn't have been given the opportunity to do it again, let alone "all the time". Not only is it dangerous for the dog but for the cars behind you, too.

19. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

"What the heck? After the first time the dog jumped out of the truck, it shouldn't have been given the opportunity to do it again, let alone "all the time". Not only is it dangerous for the dog but for the cars behind you, too. "

Back in all the 70's and through the mid 80's I lived in a rural area and my body shop guy, that owned the dog, did too. He fed it and watered it but not much else and at that time it wasn't illegal to not have your dog tied up while it was riding in the P/U bed. Whenever the dog was around it would jump in the back of his truck when he was leaving in it and you couldn't get it out without a fight. My friend was very overweight which made it hard for him to move around to get the dog out and, although he was an excellent auto body man, he wasn't the "brightest bulb in the box", if you know what I mean. So it was most always on very little untraveled rural country roads the dog was doing this on and I think my friend just didn't have the ability to care.

Amazing to me, the dog did live to about 13 Y.O. Kind of messed up from all it's escapades out the back of trucks and other strange things it did, but, it did live to be that old.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013