Dog being put down

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by darthjkf, Jul 15, 2013.

1. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

This may not be the right forum but my dog is going to be put down tomorrow. She is 9 years old and was attacked when she was 1 and left her lungs scarred and left leg useless. She's been in pain for the last few months. It was finally decided to put her down before the pain does

2. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

image-3745480882.jpg

This is her. She's pretty old and ragged. I know it's just a dog and an animal but she was part of my early life and its hard to get over.

3. karateguy28

karateguy28 New Member

I'm sorry for your loss. Tough decision but in the end you'll know you did the right thing.

4. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

Thanks. Luckily since I'm only 15 my dad gets to do it.

5. DaBreeze

DaBreeze New Member

I had to put my best friend down last year. She was only 3 years old hardest thing I have every had to do

image-1732798175.jpg

6. DaBreeze

DaBreeze New Member

Getting a rescue helped ease the pain.
    image-3050268844.jpg

7. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

She was a beautiful dog. I can't imagine what it is like having to take the unknowing dog to the clinic. RIP.

8. darthjkf

darthjkf New Member

image-2815714523.jpg

This little dude will help lessen the pain I hope

9. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Wow. 9 years isn't a long life for a little dog. Let her know you love her.

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss !...................All Dogs Go To Heaven.

11. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Oh my.
    I know the pain.
    I feel your pain.
    I have had to take a few Dogs to the vets and have them put to sleep.
    Had some cremated and have their ashes.
    I know its hard,
    Just remember the happy times.

12. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Op: very sorry for your loss! I speak from experience when I tell you how hard it is to cope with the passing of a 4-legge.d family member. My Bully Gator is only 2.5 and I worry everyday that something will happen like my last Bully's heart failure...even though he is healthy and strong(and stubborn). Hope you find it in your heart to rescue...

13. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

I know it's tough to put a suffering dog down but it's the right thing to do and a loving thing. Our pets depend on us to make the right decisions for them. You are doing the right thing. I know it hurts. But the good times far outweigh the sadness. Give yourself time to heal then get yourself a new dog. One that needs a good home.

That was a very nice read. Thanks.

14. AR10

AR10 New Member

Sorry. At 15, this is a hard lesson to learn.

15. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

Wow and you already got a new one! He's handsome. It took me 3 months to heal after we lost MO(Shlomo) to heart failure in his sleep, and he was just a bit past 4. In May of 12, after 11 weeks, we went to meet a possible adoption. Well as GIGANTIC as Gator was then and is still now, and knowing that he had been through an "ordeal" being abandoned in the desert and attacked by only GD knows,..we adopted him 1 year and 5 weeks ago. I never thought I would care about another dog again but here I am...

Attached Files:

16. Donn

Donn Active Member

Condolences. Been there more than once. Never gets easier.

17. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

darth - Words are not nearly enough, at a time like this, the loss of a loved family member is never easy. You and your dog have grown up together and you will always love and remember your pup fondly.

You'll be happy again, in short order, and your new pup will help to ease the loss. My heart goes out to you dude, it's never easy, but it is a part of life and dog ownership. Treat your other pup the way you wish you had always treated your old friend.

You'll see each other again!

18. NC1760

NC1760 New Member

Dogs.. They'll break your heart every time.

You have my sympathy partner....... Never an easy thing. We always tell ourselves we won't get attached.. and we do. I cried like a baby the handful of times I've had to do it.... But in the end, when you have that second of doubt "Did I do the right thing?"... answer the question "Could anyone have loved this animal more?" ...If you're answer is no... then it was the right thing at the right time.
    ...All I can add to this is to say "Good dog!" (Insert sad face here)

19. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Condolences Darth. I had to bring my fat beagle to the vet to be put down a few years ago. I cried like a baby. I'm in my late 40s now. Cry if you must, it seemed to help me and it won't make you any lesser of a man.

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

In my eyes, that kind of caring and compassion makes you more of a man.