Dog attack

Discussion in 'Legal and Activism' started by lostsoul62, Oct 2, 2011.

1. lostsoul62

lostsoul62 New Member

I'm a newbi and just trying to learn. I'm 64 and disabled but can walk OK. I carry pepper spray which won't do much against some dogs. Then they said carry a stick. So I have the leach in my left hand and the stick in my right hand which doesn't seem like a nice walk to me. Then if I get attack by a 120 pound rot wilder he will take that stick from me and kill me and my dog. I saw a rot wilder attack a police office on Utube. So if I shoot the dog chances are I'll go to jail. With all I read it sounds like if you protect yourself in the US you go to jail. If anyone can advise me on what to do and maybe educate myself on gun laws because with my luck if I shoot someone who has a knife at my throat I'll end up in jail.

2. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

While shooting a dog in self-defense will certainly attract police attention, I think the chances you'll be arrested are much lower than shooting a person. As always, do whatever you can to avoid shooting, if possible. But if your choices are limited to being attacked by a vicious animal (canine or human), or using deadly force to defend yourself, then defend yourself. The legal consequences, if any, are not as bad as being mauled or killed.

You should seek out a CCW class in your state; they will educate you in the legal standard for the use of lethal force in your state. There are a number of books on the subject that you may find helpful as well; I still like In the Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob, even though it's a bit dated.

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

You are in AZ which is one of the best states for self defense rights. You are too old and disabled to fight or run so you dont have a lot of options other than to defend yourself with whatever means necessary. Personally, I carry a Sig 238 cocked and locked when I cant carry anything bigger.

4. tommy62

tommy62 New Member

I'd find a safer place to walk my dog.

5. fmj

fmj New Member

most communities have leash laws.....if a dog is running loose and attacks, kill the damn thing! The law is on your side.

6. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i know of a man that shot and killed a dog while walking. he was my wifes neighbor. the dog had apperently snapped at someone before, this time he was walking and the dog came running at him barking. he imediatly dispatched that dog then and there. and there was no problem.. this is from the strict state of NY

7. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

A cop in my home town killed several dogs for charging him while he was walking off duty. People started locking there damn dogs up. If someone was to shoot a dog of mine for charging them I'd have to say the dog deserved it.

I don't know of too many people who can out run a dog and besides running just excites the predatory nature of the dog. Shoot the dog, they are making new dogs everyday.

People are more important than dogs and we shouldn't have to avoid an area just because someone can't keep control of their animals.

8. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Look into bear spray.

I've had good results using my air-horn to 'discourage' dogs.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  9. MyWorld

MyWorld New Member

I've been attacked by a dog twice before. Let me jus say I will do anything to make sure I don't get bitten again..

10. deadin

deadin New Member

My daughter is into canine rescue and is quite knowledgeable about handling dogs. She carries a "stun gun" (zapper) and says that she has yet to find a dog that won't turn tail and run when she triggers it. Doesn't even have to zap the dog. (Something about the loud crackling it puts out.):cool:

11. BenLuby

BenLuby New Member

I was going to recommend the same thing, or, believe it or not, a squirt gun filled with bleach. Never met a dog that didn't haul ass three blocks away after getting a face full of it. But the stun gun would be significantly better.

12. Vincine

Vincine New Member

I found this here:

FightingArts.com - Some Personal Observations On Dealing With Dog Attacks: Part 2- If Attacked

>For attacks by lone dogs, I'll start with my old standby: A fine repellant for moderately aggressive dogs is a mix of ammonia and Tabasco sauce in a small pump sprayer. Ammonia alone works almost as well, but you have to use more, and I think the increased dose is enough to cause permanent harm to the dog. The sprayer should be set halfway between stream and mist, so that you get good coverage. It works well when sprayed into the dog's eyes, and even better if you can get it into the mouth and nostrils, too. After you've used it once, all you need to do is flash the bottle at the dog and it will leave you alone. The spray has caused no permanent physical damage to the dogs I've used it on and hardly any discomfort to me.<

13. trip286

trip286 New Member

yes to ammonia, and someone else said bleach. Think of shining a light in a vampires eyes. spraying extremely strong smelling chemicals in the face of an animal with such a keen and sensitive sense of smell has to be pure agony.

14. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

In this part of OK folks take their unwanted dogs to the country and turn them loose. i've been attacked twice while hunting. The small and medium sized dogs soon get eaten by coyotes. The coyotes can't deal one on one with a Pit bull or Rottweiler. Any dog that attacks me is gets shot-period: No if ands or buts.

Friends have had their pets killed and their livestock torn up by dogs. Our county does not have a dog warden. The county sheriff encourages citizens to handle dog problems themselves. If off leash and is pestering pets, livestock or humans it's fair game.

15. ttolhurst

ttolhurst New Member

It would be far more humane to have a vet euthanize the animal, or if that's too pricey for some people, to shoot the dog than to leave the animal to starvation and predators.

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, a stray cat can make it on it's own, dogs after a while just cant make it. Oh, they'll survive for a while, but eventually they will starve or get eaten.

17. fmj

fmj New Member

Feral dogs are a SERIOUS problem!! They revert to their wild ways but without the natural fear of humans...a VERY dangerous combo.

Not always true. Dogs will revert to their wild ways and pack up. A pack of feral dogs is more dangerous than a pack of wild wolves for reasons stated above.

18. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

Despite all the coyotes, i see a feral cat now and then while hunting. One came in to my predator caller. The sucker knew that rabbit in distress sound.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Y'all must be a better, faster shot than me.

IDK if I could draw, aim, and fire accurately

before the dog ate my arm.

Two things:

1) Cops LOVE dogs. Wouldn't want to tell a LEO

I shot a dog under any circumstances.

2) It seems to me a club or large stick would simply ward off a dog better?

20. orangello

orangello New Member