Doesn't Make Sense To Me

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by DodgeThis, Jan 23, 2012.

1. DodgeThis

DodgeThis New Member

So my wife likes the g26, but she's concerned about the recoil and so I pulled up the Glock site. They have a compact 380 and a sub-compact. I think it's a model 37. But not positive. The problem is that they only offer them to military and law enforcement. I can only assume that m&p would want this for a BUG. But why not sell them to the public? Plus I don't know of any divisions that carry 380's. And looks,to me like if they wanted to carry a Glock BUG with their Glock primary side arm, they'd want the same caliber. That's just my thoughts. So do any of you know why the 380 Glocks aren't available to the general public?

2. FCross7

FCross7 New Member

The .380 models are the 25 and 28. The 25 and 28 are only available to LEOs due to import restrictions. For a gun to be imported, it has to meet certain criteria, height and length being two of them, and both the 25 and 28 are too small.

-Fred

3. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Fred is right about the import restrictions on the Glock 25 and 28. Unless they began manufacturing them in Smyrna you're not likely to get one in the US. You'll have to look at domestic made .380s or better yet give the 9mm another look as it is a superior round. Really, 9mm recoil can be managed by most people with enough training.

4. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

I believe the .380 Glocks would be roughly the same size as the G26. Another just slightly bigger option than the G26 is the Smith and Wesson M&P9c or the Ruger LC9. I generally recommend people stay away from .380 as a 'first gun' since the cost of .380 is so much higher. It will most definitely get the job done and there are some great self-defense rounds out there but a box of .380 target is about 1 1/2 times that of 9mm. If you figure it takes about 500 or so to become proficient you're talking a bit more $$$ than with 9mm. If it is for personal carry the LC9 is just about the right size and in a caliber that won't break the bank when it comes to learning the gun. I think going to a G19 or the M&P9c or SR9c is even better since a bit more mass/bulk will help soak up some of that recoil.

5. PrinC

PrinC New Member

Ummm, isn't the size of the .380 caliber glock 25 the same as the G23c, the G23, the G32,G32c and the G38 with a length of 174mm and a width of 153mm?

6. Quentin

Quentin New Member

That's what I thought, too. I'm not sure why the G25 and G28 don't do well in regard to import laws, maybe caliber counts for a point or two (small caliber somehow equated to small gun?).

7. Glockanista

Glockanista New Member

Trust me, if my 60 year "pistol packin momma" can shoot a Glock 26, anyone can learn to shoot it. :)

8. nyycanseco33

nyycanseco33 New Member

They do manufacture them in Smyrna but the problem is that they are for export only to other countries... The export slides made in Smyrna have USA stamped on the side of the slide where it would normally say Austria... We are unable to purchase the USA made Glocks as they are for export to other countries only