does no one like the .40?

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Ironballsmiginty, Nov 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ironballsmiginty

Ironballsmiginty New Member

I'm seeing every gun but the sr40 talked about everywhere. I personally love this firearm. great weight and ergonomics, as well as similar recoil to the 9mm, with incredible stopping power. shoots reliably with not one failure to cycle or fire in 400 rounds. the thing is a disposal, will eat any ammo I try. did I just get the only good one or what?

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Lots of folks like the 40. But I decided to keep my hangun ammo needs simple. 22, 38, 357, 9mm and 45 are enough for me to keep track of.

3. Ironballsmiginty

Ironballsmiginty New Member

I only keep .40 cal and 12 gauge. and have no problem finding both. except I had too get the zombie version of the critical defense cause they don't sell the regular where I live

4. tshoot91

tshoot91 New Member

Although i have never handled the sr40, a friend of mine had the sr9. I do not have any complaints on the Ruger sr line of pistols. Good, straight shooting piece for a reasonable price.

5. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

See I like my handgun ammo in .357/.38 +P , .40 , 10mm

.40 I shoot is Underwood loaded 180 gr bonded gold dots / starline brass

@ Muzzle Velocity: 1100 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 484 ft. lbs.

which make it formidable SD round

6. tacticalfun

tacticalfun Active Member

Why pick .40 when you can have .45?

7. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

For my pistols I stay with 9mm! Powerful and plentiful without having to inventory other calibers. Backed up by 12 gauge shotgun and soon a AR platform semi auto rifle! That's all I need!!

8. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  9. tacticalfun

20mm! If only....

10. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  11. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

One word, capacity.

The .40 S&W is a compromise. Not as much capacity as a 9mm and not as much bullet as a .45. The ballistics on paper is pretty much a dead heat between the 9mm (in premium loads), .40 and .45. None are really giving up much of anything to the other as far as "stopping power" is concerned.

I was a die hard .45 guy when the .40 came out. I did not understand why one would want one when the .45 was the standard by which everyone else was judged. I went to the S&W Pistol Armorer's course and they made us an offer we could not refuse. A new 40 Sigma (the originals, not the "VE" junk out now), full size or compact, 3 high cap mags (during the "ban" era) and night sights for $330. I could not say no. I figured if I did not like it I sould at least break even. I still have that gun and it works very well.

I fell into a sweet 10mm S&W a number of years ago for cheap (under $300) and carried that for many years. I recently switched to a Glock 20 (10mm) to lose weight, gain capacity and a light rail. One of the first purchases I made for that gun is a .40 S&W barrel from Lone Wolf. The .40 is easy to load for, more forgiving than the 9mm. The ammo is plentiful and fairly inexpensive. Recoil is moderate. Versitility is very good, not quite my 10 mm, but there is a wide variety of loads and bullet weights.

I never question a man's decision of caliber as long as he can shoot it well. If the .45 is what comforts you, fine. If I had to carry a 9mm, I would do so without hesitation. Modern ammo is the best we have ever seen.

12. tacticalfun

I recently purchased my first 10mm. A nhc 1911. I love it.

13. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

I am standardizing my handguns to 9mm! No worry about supply, and multiple calibers, stopping power is more than adequate. Simplifies ammo inventories!! Plus a 12 gauge shotgun. Maybe get a AR platform rifle! What more do I need? Lol

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

better yet, why not all of them. that's my policy! more the better!:D

personally i bought my first .40 over twenty years ago, and have had one is some pistol ever since. some people like them and i happen to be one of them. i have heard some of the 40 detractors call it a fad. well over twenty years later, and with as many gun makers that chamber all kinds of firearms in that caliber, and the number of people buying them, i think it has definately outgrown being a fad!:D

15. grandpabear

grandpabear New Member

I have an SR40 and love it. It's a great shooter. It was my first center fire pistol. I bought the SR9c shortly after because of ammo cost and I like to shoot a lot. Now that I reload I have the best of both worlds.
    [​IMG]

16. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

My problem with adding a 40 cal to my collection is I am not buying ammo for it. For handguns I have 44 mag, 357 mag, and 9mm ammo. I don't even bother with 38 spl ammo for my 357 mag's. It's not that much more for a box of 357 ammo.

17. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

In the semi-auto,
    If I go to war,
    45acp
    If I go plinking,
    9mm.

And bullet placement is VERY important

"And Thats The Truth"
    as an anti gun nut said.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  18. Gone_South

Gone_South New Member

I have an SR40 locked & loaded on my night stand. I just don't talk too much about it.

Great gun though.

19. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

where you been? we were fixing to send a search party out for you!:eek::D

nothing wrong with the 40 if you like a 40. i personally have had some type of pistol in 40 for over twenty years. just never have had the chance, but the one i really want to try out is the 10mm! the 40 on steroids! yeah buddy!

20. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

Me and ZG shot a 10mm and loved it!! We rented one, but the only problem was ammo was $33 a box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.