Does dpms make good rifles?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by hq357, Jun 28, 2013.

1. hq357

hq357 New Member

Today i was at walmart and this was at my walmart for only 617$!!! Is this to good to be true? Right next to it was a diamond back ar15 for a little more it looked alot nicer should i consider buying one? There was a couple of boxes of 223 on the shelf too!

image-2068603947.jpg

Dmps sporter

Attached Files:

2. kryptar19

kryptar19 New Member

DPMS rifles are not bad, but there are far better rifles at the same price point. You should be able to get the S&W Sport for about the same price, or if you are willing to spend in the $750 range you can build a PSA.

3. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

DPMS are economy AR-15s. They are reasonably accurate, very reliable and a little crude in fit and finish.

If you're a true AR enthusiast, then no. You don't want one. OTOH, if you're looking for a low cost shooter for taking out on the weekend and shooting a box or two of ammo, they will serve you well.

Definitely no snob appeal, but a solid rifle. I'd rather have one DPMS AR than a dozen Mini-14s.

4. hq357

hq357 New Member

Id like to only own one in my lifetime and pass it down to my kids is this dpms worth buying or should i keep looking and spend a little more?

5. austin92

austin92 New Member

Easy on the mini hate lol

I don't own one but personal opinion, If I was going to buy a complete AR in the 6-800$ range it would b a psa or m&p.

6. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Lot of us have been handed down rifles and pistols from our dad or grandfather, uncle, etc that may have had little value, even at that time, other than familial. If you are on a budget and want something that is cheap, shoots, and good enough for LEO, then go for it. Chances are, most people won't know the difference if you told them it was a dpms or a 6920 or a wyxz.

7. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

DPMS does make a few top end guns, but their lower end line of guns have a reputation for jamming, a lot. If you get one that is jam free, then it was made to do what they do.
    Now that AR's are coming back down to even below last years scare prices, there can be some good deals out there.
    If you want a better quality one, watch this sight daily and get a local FFL dealer ready to transfer one for you. They had a Stag for 777.00 3 days ago, a rock river for 749.00 and a Palmetto for 697 a week ago. All of these blow away DPMS in quality.

8. Donn

Donn Active Member

My DPMS A2 Classic has never let me down. Like any other tool, it's performance and life span depend on how it's cared for. You can spend thousands for a high end AR. Abuse and/or neglect it, and it'll fail.

9. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

I have owen and/or used Colt, Stag arms, DPMS, S&W, Bushmaster, Ruger, Armalite, American Tactical, some individually built ones, and probably some I have forgotten (old fartitus:p) and I have never had any major problem with any of them. It is just a matter of individual preference as for brand. Unless you are definitely going in 'harms way' I would not have a problem with any of them. If I were ask to go back into harms way I would 'customize' whichever I had to be 100% reliable and accurate. I am now using a SR-556 and am very pleased with it.:)

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Depends on what you want out of it.

For accuracy i would look at something closer to an A2 type from rra with a full 20" barrel. For sheer quality bcm.

Dpms is kinda like that old sears single shot shotgun grandad leaves you in his will. It was grandpa's its an all beat to hell piece of junk but it was grandpa's gun.

I really dont think i would tag my memmory of me for my kids if i had em to a dpms budget gun. I would prolly do some shopping and hunting for a nice winchester model 70 classic in 30-06.

The dpms budget will make a decent weekend plinker but i lump into ar15 clone category. They look like one and accept most ar15 parts and can be upgraded but they are in the same class as the cheap remington autoloading deer rifles.

11. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I have a couple DPMS rifles and the are just like every other AR out there. Never had a single problem with them. They all shoot to acceptable accuracy and will hold their own with any of the other budget AR's out there. Not sure why all the hate.

I have one DPMS basic flattop 16" that will shoot 1/2" at 100 yards.

12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Oh fabulous , I get to use it again :D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajfiE3iq78k&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  13. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I would just like to know from all the people bad mouthing DPMS. How many have you owned?

14. Squawk

Squawk New Member

Other companies have better workmanship and use higher quality parts. PSA, BCM, etc.

15. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

Zero, but have one friend whom I go shooting with often that bought one new in Anchorage. After I watched him get disgusted with it and jamming, he sold it. Before I went out and bought one, i researched a lot on the internet and saw many threads with jamming issues and DPMS. More threads than I cared to risk buying one. But as I said in my initial post, if you get one that works as is designed, then good for you, that is what they are intended for. :D

If any gun works when the hammer is dropped, then its a good one. Wether a Jennings, or a Sig.

16. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

for the money its hard to beat DPMS.
    I've owned a Delton, which is an entry level company like DPMS and never had a single problem with it.
    And I do own some $2000-$2500 AR's which are not perfect however..

No rifle is ever perfect.
    The more you spend, the nicer you get but at some point its a law of diminishing returns.
    if your budget says under 700 USD then you cna get a reliable gun for that form DPMS or Delton.
    Smith makes a entry level MP15 sporter for the same price as those other. but the barrel steel is not better and it doesnt have a dustcover

PS: Some are recommending BCM etc, however those start at twice the price ...

17. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

So you never owned one. You seen 1 in action. Then looked at gun forums. Where many people just like here HATE on DPMS for no other reason than I seen this thread on a gun forum that said they suck. So really you have ZERO real world experience with DPMS and that qualifies you to bad mouth a gun.

I have owned and build my share of AR's never met a DPMS I wouldn't own. But you all keep spreading the hate, that way I can buy more of them for dirt cheap..... I too have some very expensive AR's that will shoot 1/4" or better groups at 100 yards.

18. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

lol

Im sure some people who drive their hondas like their cars just as much as some who own mercedes and BMW's.

I said I have seen one friend personally who has had that experience first hand, and several other experiences with friends who own DPMS's that I shoot with on occasion, and thought they were magazine malfunctions. (Magpul 2nd generation) Funny thing was they worked fine in my Windham AR
    ;)

And its hard to spread the hate when you are spreading the love for them. Good luck buying next time with those rising stock prices you just created! lol

and you probably own a NCstar scope and like it???

19. Apex-Predator

Apex-Predator New Member

I have never owned a DPMS but they recently sold out to the Freedom Group the same people who fracked up Remington and Marlin, so I would be very leery of owning one for that reason alone, and yes I have owned several Freedom Group firearms and I won't be buying another, they have the worst QC of any company in the history of firearms IMHO and their customer service is a joke. They are so bad I am boycotting everything CCM even reloading components. I cannot say that they have ruined DPMS (yet) but I would rather spend a little more $$$ then be kicking myself later.

20. hq357

hq357 New Member

I think im just going to buy an ak syle rifle for that price :p then i wont need to worry about jams!