Does cheap ammo hurt my 1911?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by 1911jruiz, Dec 9, 2011.

1. 1911jruiz

1911jruiz New Member

I just purchased my first handgun. It's a kimber 1911. I was wondering if any certain kind of ammo will damage my gun? Thanks for the help.

2. Jkl-28

Jkl-28 New Member

I don't think it would "hurt" it but it could cause it to malfunction or jam....
    I think the biggest threat to a gun when it comes to ammo is reloads (like a hot round, or a weak round that could cause a squib round) and corrosive ammo (could really mess up your barrel if u don't clean and maintain your gun)

3. 1911jruiz

1911jruiz New Member

First off thanks for the reply. Do you know of the type of casing really matters? Steel brass or aluminum matters much?

4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

What sort of ammo are we talking about? Just about anything you purchase from a typical retailer should be safe. In theory, steel cased ammo may accelerate wear on the extractor. Realistically, it probably isn't going to be a big deal. I've never shot commercial reloads, so I can't speak to their quality or safety. Aluminum cased Blazers should be fine. Though I never thought they were terribly cheap, compared to say, WWB.
    Accuracy can get a bit squirrely at the low end of the ladder. My XD hated Wal-Mart Federal but groups closed right up with WWB.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I would stay away from anything steel cased. That's me though. To me my guns are worth more than cheap crappy ammo.

6. 1911jruiz

1911jruiz New Member

Well I just can't look away from the cheap ammo they have at wal mart. For example they have the wwb on sale along with Remington umc. Any thoughts on the quality of those?

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

No ammo loaded to specs or produced commercially will damage your gun. All 1911s however will have some degree of finickyness about which ammo runs well. Individual guns may run the wwb fine, others not so much. You have to experiment to see what you particular gun likes. Best rule of thumb is to run a few boxes of quality ammo to help with the initial shakeout, any failures noted will pretty much be gun or mag related. After you have proven the gun's reliabilty start changing ammo until you find a cheap reliable round for range use. Your carry rounds should always be a higher quality load...don't bet your life on the cheapest alternative.

Mags are another issue, many perceived ammo failures are actually due to faulty or weak mags, get some good mags as well.

8. 1911jruiz

1911jruiz New Member

Thanks a lot that pretty much answers al my questions. I appreciate your time.