Does Bobtailing A Kimber Pro CDP II Depreciates The Value of The Gun?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by omroi2001, Apr 9, 2012.

1. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

I just recieved my Kimber Pro CDP II back from Cummings Custom Refinishing (CCR). First of all they took longer than estimated. Sent it out to them somewhere in between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Some of the other forums give accounts on the long they had to wait to receive their firearms back but..........
    The work they do is really worth the wait. I was so please with the bobtail conversion and they refinishing.

Anyways, that being said I was just wondering, I'm kinda new to the whole firearm world, does a bobtail conversion adds value or depreciates the gun?

2. pagj17

pagj17 New Member

Both... It depends on who you sell it to

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Does putting a pro-street hood scoop on a 2006 Mustang add value or depreciate it? It's a wash.

Does putting a pro-street hood scoop on a Bloomington Gold Certified 1967 427/435 Corvette add value or depreciate it? DEVALUE - YES!

I think your Kimber would be more like the Mustang.

4. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

if you are happy with the conversion and feel okay about the money spent, yes it adds value to it for you. if you try to sell it, then it's up to the buyer as to whether it adds value. just don't be suprised if or when you sell it, that you can't recover the costs of the conversion. if you never plan on selling it, then it really doesn't matter.

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I've had my Kimber Pro II for about 9 years now. It's a great shooter and a very nice CCW piece but I would not say that Kimbers are or will be in the realm of collectible firearms.

Please post pics of your bob tail. I think this conversion would help reduce "printing" and is a mod I would consider for mine.

Tack

6. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

What seems to be the average cost of the mod?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

The more you customize an item the more you shrink the pool of potential buyers. If your not planning on selling it then it doesnt matter as others have said.

Personally i skip over custom shop guns when looking at used guns.

8. linuxuser3890

linuxuser3890 New Member

To the insurance company or a perspective buyer? I would say if you mod a newer gun then it is worth what you like about it. If someone doesn't like what you did to it then don't sell it to them. Since you had something done buy a company that makes money doing it, I say it raises value. That means someone else out there likes it the same way and would be willing to purchase it at a higher price.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

9. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

My Modified Kimber Pro CDP II. Bobtailed and Refinished by CCR

Attached Files:

10. Powersportgiant

Powersportgiant New Member

My bobtailed S&W.

Attached Files:

11. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

With the number of bob tails available, I would purchase one before modifying one.

The bob tail is nice for some things. Some people like them while others don't (I like them and have a couple with the bob).

But for my range or competition handguns, I would rather not have the bob.

12. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

After everything was said and done it was $275.00. Included the bobtail, the back strap, refinishing with postage, insurance and handling.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

well all in all, i think it turned out nice. whether it added value is subjective and if you are happy with the results, then for you it will have added value. now if you were wanting to sell it at a future date for whatever reason, then whether the buyer is willing to pony up the the asking price, well it depends. but it does look like they did a good job converting it and i hope you enjoy it.

14. omroi2001

omroi2001 New Member

Thanks Axxe. I love it. As far as selling, nahhh.... I'm keeping this baby. Accuracy is great and it feels comfortable in my hands. Just bought a Springfield Champion Operator .45. Need to see what I might do to it.