Does anyone recognize this .22 rifle?

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by foreclosurefish, Jan 21, 2010.

1. foreclosurefish

foreclosurefish New Member

I am 99% sure this is the rifle I am looking for, but I can not find it anywhere.

If this is the rifle, it is a .22 LR, bolt action.

It had a wood stock, tubular magazine.

If anyone recognizes this gun, please let me know what it is.

I know there is not much to go on here, but this is the only picture I could find that matched the gun as I remember it.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Lets see...Savage, Stevens, Springfield, Mossberg, Ted Williams, Western Field, Remington, Winchester, Marlin, Glenfield, etc. Tube fed .22 bolt action rifles are so numerous such a description is like saying you are looking for a white car with 4 tires.

I don't want to sound rude, but there is no way to get any more specific than that. Wild goose chase would be the understatement of the year.

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

You can scratch newer marlins off the list-they have brass inner mag tubes.

4. foreclosurefish

Updated Information about the .22 I am looking for

Here is everything I can remember about the gun.

Why I want to find it: This was my dads gun and a shell exploded and cracked the stock below the barrel. I had someone try to fix it, but they never returned it. I would like to replace the gun for my dad.

I thought it was a Remington, but couldn't find any matching photos.

The sight at the end of the barrel is exactly like the one in the picture. It is not adjustable and is permanently fixed to the barrel.

There were no patterns or grooves cut in the stock. It was smooth and had a dark cherry finish. There were two attachment points for a sling.

My best guess for the year of the gun would be a 60's or early 70's model.

The butt of the stock was black rubber/plastic with white accent line and was removable with two screws.

The inner tube of the magazine may have been brass, but was only visible after pulling unlocking and extending the "cover?".

The look of the gun was extremely similar to this marlin:
    [​IMG]

But I have not found a picture of this model with the same front sight as the one I had. I also believe the safety was different on my gun, but I do not remember enough to say what it was.

The picture I posted originally was the closest thing I could find that accurately matched the memory I had of the gun. I searched many pics to find who where every aspect of what I saw matched.

Thanks for any help...and I know it's like finding a needle in a haystack, but I've spent hours searching on my own and have been unsuccessful.

5. foreclosurefish

Another update

Also, If I remember correctly, this rifle only shot .22LR.

6. foreclosurefish

Thanks for the response, I know it's going to be tough, and I was hoping someone may recognize the picture. The two main factors in this pic are the length of the tubular mag and the type of front sight. Both were nearly exactly what I remember. No other pic I have seen of .22 rifles have had a (almost) full length magazine under the barrel and a fixed front site like that. I did another post with more info that I could remember and a pic of a marlin that is very similar....in fact, if I could find that marlin with a front site like the one in the pic, I would have thought it was the gun.
    [​IMG]

I believe it was 60's or early 70's model.

Thanks again for any help you can provide.

7. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

That still narrows it down to ?

8. red ryder

red ryder New Member

who did you know that owned the rifle?

maybe they could tell you?

maybe someone you know has some pictures of it?

9. foreclosurefish

I posted more, but I don't think its live yet, because I added a pic. If it doesn't show up soon, I'll post again, but without the pic.

10. foreclosurefish

it was my dads and he doesn't remember the model or manufacturer, unfortunately.

11. hoagy000

hoagy000 New Member

The .22 rifle this picture bove is a Remington 550-1...this gun is very interesting to because a friend of mine gave me one yesterday which was surfaced rusted and light pitting .It shoots shorts, longs, and long rifle, and cashoot the nes subsonic rounds..so I got to know the barrel and tubular magazine very well today as I cleaned it and getting ready to Wonder blue it....it has a walnut stock also..

12. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Is the Rifle in the top of the pic close?
    [​IMG]

13. hoagy000

hoagy000 New Member

no! look up Remington 550-1....underneath the barrel is the ammo tube...look at the knurling of the tube magazine at the end the pic you showed has it...look at the band in your picture also...the tube and the band is the exactly like one I have

14. bside

bside New Member

A couple of things are distinguishing about the rifle you are looking for if it is as the picture of the one leaning on the railing:

The magazine tube is very nearly as long as the barrel but is supported well back from the muzzle with a high quality dovetail bracket. You should be able to scale the muzzle overhang to the distance from the bracket to the end of the magazine tube.

The knurling on the magazine rod is quite pronounced and rather coarse judging be the apparent ease with which it picked up some paint on a fence or something.

The front sight has no provisions for a hood, so you should be able to eliminate quite a few rifles of the carbine variety.

Were you to go to a gun show and do a walk through during a slow afternoon, you just might see something very close if not exactly matching your photo.

I suspect that you're looking for a semi-automatic, which is what you have found as the closest matches to your memory but have the wrong front sight. I believe you specified that 22 LR was the cartridge, which would fit some semi-autos that wouldn't handle shorts or longs.

On those presumptions, I would suggest you look at the Savage, Savage/Stevens line such as the Savage Model 88, the Stevens Model 87 or the Savage/Stevens Model 88. These three semi-autos have magazine tubes very close to the muzzle, support brackets well behind the end of the tube and blade front sights and were widely available.

At the risk of sounding like a smart _ _ _, I might suggest that if neither your dad nor you remember the brand, model or features, you might just buy him something you think he'd like. In any event, I applaud your efforts in finding a match, and I hope you are successful.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  15. .22hustler

.22hustler New Member

Judging from the way the magazine tube is attached to the barrel, I can say it's NOT a later winchester .22, such as a 190, 250, 270, or a 290.I think the clue will be how that mag attaches to the barrel...Also, all the winchester .22's I've mentioned are either semi, pump, or lever action, not bolt.

16. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Guys, the provided photo is not the gun, it's what he thinks the gun was.

Way too many variables here!

17. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Hey I am looking for an old car. It had 2 head lights, was black, had 4 wheels and 1 spare. Oh and it had a windshield as well.

What kind of car is it.

18. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Yugo? With optional windshield!

19. Dr. Marneaus

Dr. Marneaus New Member

Seems to me you arent going to get much help, or find what you're looking for with this information.

Go buy your dad a nice new .22, or a used one that's similar. You cant make up for thesentimental value lost, but atleast you can return a gun.

Or....get it back from the person you gave it to?