Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a full sized 9mm handgun and want to buy American made. I narrowed it down to a fn-p or m&p 9. I have shot both and liked the m&p slightly more. Everything I read (other than the trigger, which I liked) has been two over exaggerated thumbs up across the board. Do any owners have some of the bad points if there are any. Thanks and best regards

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have had the 9c for about two months and I have had front sight issues.

At first the paint used in the front sight came out during the first trip to the range. Then I noticed the whole front sight drifted left when I cleaned it after the first 70 rounds. Tapped it the back with a wooden dowel and it drifted again with the next 85 at the range.

Do Google search, you'll find hits for M&P sight issues. I have since upgraded to Ameriglo night sights... haven't been back to the range yet

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an mp compact. I love mine. It's easy to conceal, 12 rd magazine that I carry with. 3.5 in barrel. Felt recoil is good and is a pleasure to shoot. IMO a full size mp9 would be a little big to carry (at least for me). But the compact or even the shield is a great carry gun. I just like the compact for the extra mag cap.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
My wife loves her M&P .40 and has never had an issue. I have the M&P .40 VTAC and had an issue with the fiber optic piece popping out of the front site. No biggie though, a little Loc-tite blue solved the problem. Between the two of us we have probably shot close to 1,000 shot through each and there have been no feed, fire or ejection problems.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Love my 9C, but like some of the others, the dots fell out of the front and rear sites. Smith offered to repair the gun for free, but I did not want to be without it for a few weeks. I just painted the dots myself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
bige91603 said:
Hate the trigger, travel and reset aren't the best in my opinion
I have an M&P shield 9 and 40c and didn't care for either trigger but replaced them with apex trigger kits and I wouldn't trade them for anything in the word.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thinking about puchasing an M&P 40 and would like to have the pinkie grip for it. Any one know where and how much for one?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Had two FTF's when firing Gold Dots at the range yesterday. All practice ammo fed just fine. Rethinking CC ammo now.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
ch3st3r said:
Thinking about puchasing an M&P 40 and would like to have the pinkie grip for it. Any one know where and how much for one?
If you get the 40c you'll get two mags one with the pinky extension and one without.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks ccrape. Going Wedsday to get it. Seems that our large chain department store has it for 499, and all the gun dealers are asking 525-560 for it.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I have a Shield 9 and a VTAC 9. Both are superb after you put about 1k rounds through them.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I love my m&p9 full size. Only gripe is that it doesn't feed federal HSTs to great. They get stuck in the chamber and hard to eject. Gold dots run perfect though. Been thinking about polishing the feed ramp.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I have all three, the Shield's my EDC. The only issues I've ever had with any of them has been with bad ammo. Otherwise, they're like the Energizer Bunny.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts