Does anyone know where I can get a custom bolt face machined?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by spuddog14, Nov 4, 2010.

1. spuddog14

spuddog14 New Member

Is there a place that will machine you a custom bolt face for a 223 that will accept a 308 cartrage? would the bolt of a ar 15 stand up to the punishment of a 308/40? i realy want to try this it can not be that difficult and i think it will soot me very well as a home defence and hunting rifle

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2010
  2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

With what you will have tied up in machine shop cost and a new barrel why not just get a 308 upper?

3. spuddog14

spuddog14 New Member

true very true

a 5.56 round is 2.26" long and with a 308 cut down and a 40 cal stuffed in it puts the round at like 1.84" so you could still use all your mags you might have to file the ears a little but should still feed ok and the largest 308 mag they make is 20 rds and you can only put 18 in i know ive owned one lol but it is all over the place with 16" barrel

some one elts posted opted for the 450 bushmaster ive all ready considered that and i would have to special order all ammo no one has it around here and they want a arm and leag so would i be better off just having a cupple sets of dies made and eate the initial costs and post my project on here some one elts can consider it i mean realy bye a whole extra gun or just have a recever with a custom barrel made along with a bolt face and spring maby have 1500 invested with every thing and and beable to use stock mags. at over 30$ a box for 20 rounds the price adds up and more avaliblity or resourses around quality brass etc for the 308/40

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  4. 9mmar

9mmar New Member

MGI has alot of custom AR-15 parts in differnt calibers. The also have the 450 bushmaster bolt and barrel for builds.