does anyone know where go get a complete upper these days?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jwalsh66, Jan 22, 2013.

1. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

Do you guys have any ideas? I scoured every source I am familiar with. I'm sure there have to some out there somewhere... right?

2. okdonk

okdonk New Member

What brand u looking for? You can build your custom DD complete upper direct at DD everyday at midnight EST. Once they received 10-15 orders daily, they close it down. So you have to be quick and know what u wanted!
    Indeed i managed to build complete upper 2 hours ago. 16" Middy with 12" Modular rail complete with DD BCG and set sights for $1119 shipped.

3. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

Good lord that's up there in price but I guess ill have to bite the bullet considering the current political climate

4. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Doublestar has complete kits minus stripped lower for $545. Been doing business with them for years and no complaints.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'd go for a BCM or PSA upper. You may have to wait a while for it though.

6. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

What are you looking for? And what's you budget?

7. brettc

brettc New Member

You just missed PSA had a complete upper, minus bcg and CH, for 500. They seem to have had uppers pop up for a couple days now.

8. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

I'm looking for a 5.56 mid length in the $500-$700 price range.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

That very upper (16" 1:7 FN barrel, carbine length gas, plus a $180 MI handguard) has been up for sale several times in the last week or two...at least 4 times that I'm aware of, probably a couple that I didn't see. I've actually bought two of them during two seperate times when they came up for sale. It'll probably be up again. Even if I wanted a middy (I too prefer them), I'd probably (okay...well, in fact I did) jump on it as far as a reasonably priced "bird in the hand" option.

I've also got emails from BCM and AIM Surplus regarding quality uppers that have been available at reasonable prices. AIM had the 16" Spikes with charging handle and M16 bolt for just over $500 I think. Wish I'd have been sitting at my computer when the email came in.

So yes...good upper packages are out there. But you'd best be prepared to jump on them the moment they hit the "virtual" shelves.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  10. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

Yeah I hear that. I've been looking for awhile now and I always seem to miss the ones I can find or do hear about. Or a lot of stuff is back ordered until October or november

11. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I managed to grab that PSA's upper this morning. Yes yesterday BCM and Aim had uppers. I got stucked at the payment page as their server got slammed down by people trying to order. Didnt get any from Aim yesterday. But i got 2 uppers from BCM yesterday and this morning they cancelled my order due to the last issue i had with them. I was like wth wtf? What issue? My last order from BCM was flawless. They are chicken ****! I emailed them few times about it this morning and yet no reply! $&#& BCM!
    Fortunately i grabbed the custom build upper from DD last night. Couple hundreds $ difference but included BCG and CH.

12. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You musta hit it big at the poker table yesterday OK! :D

What happened with BCM again?

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Not really Q. My funds gone into ammo and some parts lately. I have 5 Seekins and 2 New Frontier Alumunium lowers to build. Selling them as rifles are better than the parts alone.

Btw here is one of the email they sent me. Both orders were cancelled. I really dont know why. Too scared to reply me eh?

Attached Files:

14. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Wow! I wonder what went haywire???

15. okdonk

okdonk New Member

If i dont hear anything from them by this week, that's it i'm done with them. Yes their products are ome of the best eventhough pricey. But i still can shop somewhere. Joebob and Aim are still my favs.

16. Alpinet6

Alpinet6 New Member

Craigslist might be a good source if you can't find anything anywhere

17. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Backpage.com too

18. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

The sad thing is Bolt Carriers are even for some manufacturers costing them in the area of $250-$275 to even have them to build uppers and rifles. The demand is so high at the present the manufacturers of the parts can not keep up. With that said you may want to contact Stay Safe of Amarillo TX. 1-806-676-1401 The owner Mike builds uppers, rifles and custom ARs. The other is Hilltop Guns Inc. of Colona IL. 1-309-949-2556 which stocks Rock River Rifles/Uppers and parts. Hilltop has a good contact with RRA being their senior armorer for years. Both can probably help you. !

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  19. okdonk

okdonk New Member

20. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member