Does anyone know what RPG is?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by Maximilian, Mar 6, 2013.

Has anyone shot RPG using night vision?

Poll closed May 5, 2013.
  1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  3. What is RPG?

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. Go to hell !!!

5 vote(s)
    21.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Next 3 months I`m going to be training froshes how to shoot RPGs( I attached my photo with it) Every friday we have night shooting in which the targets were always lightened with burning wood shreddings in a zinc box. Now the question arose about using night vision rifle scopes which is pretty unusual for russian infantry forces. The tender was won by the Armasight Nemesis 6x SD Gen 2 ... either because of the quality or the price I don`t know.. I`ve looked through other similar russian companies and sites..why not buy domestic products? seems like no difference.. What do you guys think about this nv scope? has anyone ever tried it?

Attached Files:

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

We dont have access to most russian optics here in the states. The only good source we have is a company called kalinka optics.

Our glorious leader doesnt think we are trustworthy enough to have access to russian gear.

I do wish i had an rpg with a warehouse full of the little firecrackers for it....

3. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I'm sorry I can't help, but welcome.

4. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

I have no idea as to why they selected the Armasight but I would guess because it has proven to be a very good scope and is readily available off the shelf for about $1,500.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said, here in the States, no access ro Russian optics. HAVE fired enough RPGs to know the strange manner that they are affected by wind- but no NV systems. Sorry....:eek:

6. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Yeah.. for sure.. no rifle scope helps if there`s a wind. it can blow your shell( or how is it more correctly to say?) 10 feet away..

7. c3shooter

Max- was reffering to the rocket turning INTO the wind. Wind blowing left to right, rocket goes LEFT of aim point. Just curious- do you use a training/practice round with an inert warhead, or are you using the live round for training?

8. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Yes. That`s right! Thank you. They are inert if you mean the filling is blank. I dont know how to explain this in English. They are not those used in war.. just training rockets but they blow up an iron simulation tank in pieces. I`ll check on the net if you have any analogs of RPG in US.

9. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Google gives nothing but RPG PC games

10. c3shooter

Max- we use a couple of anti-armor rockets- they are single use/ disposable launcher- the M72 LAW, and the AT-4. Years back we did use a 3.5 inch rocket launcher. Most of our heavy duty anti armor role has gone over to the FGM148 Javelin missle, which replaced the M47 Dragon missle.

The M72 has a subcaliber launcher used for training purposes- instead of a 66 mm rocket with a shaped charge warhead, the subcaliber trainer uses a 30mm rocket, warhead that makes a BANG and puff of smoke on impact.

Unfortunately, when you search the term RPG (Rocket Propelled Grenade) you will also bring up the very popular Role Playing Games (also called RPGs)

11. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

hahah I know what RPG game is... we are not retarded here in Russia. It is a wrong opinion of many eastern countries. Last week I had a few bottles of beer with a german soldier that just recently came to Russia. He said he imagined Russia in a different way. But whats true is that our economy, culture and military organizations are far behind

12. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Sorry western countries... I got these words wrong

13. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Thanks for the info. I heard about single use launcher.. I just didn`t know it was called M-72. I believe we just call it Bazuka if I`m not mistaken.

14. c3shooter

Well, going back to WW 2, we did have the "bazooka"- a lighweight rocket launcher tube- reusable- that fired a 2.36 inch diameter rocket. This was the US version of the German Panzerschreck. That was replaced by a larger launcher, firing a heavier rocket (3.5 inch). THAT was replaced in the late 1960s with the 90mm Recoiless Rifle- and supplemented by the single use M72. The 90mm would be a primary weapon, the M72 could be carried by everyone. It had less range, and lesser warhead. The 90 in turn was replaced by the Dragon, now replaced by the Javelin.

15. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

Ok. I get it... But what`s the point in using a single launch? Here`s how we use RPG: Our rocket launcher operator( haha that`s what I found in the dictionary) in simple words RPG soldier takes 3 rockets with him and a AKCУ which in russian means Ak-74 short convertable and he is assisted by an RPG assistant that carries 5 rockets with him

16. Maximilian

Maximilian New Member

These are RPG and AKCУ

Attached Files:

17. c3shooter

The stored single use launcher is waterproof, very lightweight (fiberglass) and is about the size of one round of ammo for the RPG. When ready for use, the launcher is extended, fired, and stepped on (destroy to prevent being used as a booby trap). Every soldier can carry one round- for close in defense against armor. Also good for bunkers, etc. They do not have the range of the RPG.

m72law-1.jpg

18. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Exactly, what restrictions are there on importing Russian optics?

19. c3shooter

The import and export of certain firearm RELATED items are regulated by the State and Commerce Departments. There have been SOME Russian optics imported into the US, but fairly scarce. Recent generation night vision devices (usually passive infra-red) are scarcer than nuns on a pistol team.

20. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

New night vision must be substantially better at preventing "white out" than the gear I used in the 90's.

I've live fired both the LAW and the Dragon. The Dragon did have 2 sights, a day sight, and a "Heavy as Hell", night sight but it was Thermal, not starlight or IR.

I also used a lot of PVS 4 Starlight scopes on both rifles and the SAW and often wore PVS 2 B Googgles with the PAQ 4 IR laser sight and the one thing I figured out quick was that NOD's became useless once the first shot was fired because the white out delay from muzzle flashes rendered you blind for two to three seconds.

The worked ok in the defensive role for watching your sector and the Nods were great for patrolling "once you figured out the depth perception problem"... But I took to covering the right eye piece with painters tape to so I would not be totally blind upon taking them off.

So... Is the newer stuff any better with the white out problem?

Tack