Does anyone,jnow about the Fn 5-7

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Ultimate_sig, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Im in the process of a trade for a 5-7, but I know very little about them. I know what the shoot, but do thr have stopping power, are the reliable, is this an all around good gun

2. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I've heard good and bad, I seen video of their accuracy and was considering one myself but have no where to shoot it. I like a pistol that can hold 30rds and is basically a hand rifle.

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea but for a pistol those are giant

4. aztman

aztman New Member

I like mine way easier to carry in the woods when hiking, scouting, gold mining than a rifle.

5. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Is ammo real pricey

6. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Yes at least a dollar a bullet last time I saw it

---Shoot To Thrill---

7. USMC_Richey

USMC_Richey New Member

Yeah it is. Most will know this as the "cop killer". Be careful what ammo you buy. ;)

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I would never own one because of this guy;

Attached Files:

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

It depends. If your willing to buy bulk, it's not extremely pricey:
    It can be had for as little as .40 per round.

http://www.ammonow.com/handgun_5.7x28_page_1.html

As for it's utility or stopping power, opinions vary. I can't think of anything I'd want it for. For military use, it might be a viable option. For the average Joe, I can't help thinking that there are plenty of more useful choices. In a long gun, I'd rather have a .223/5.56. In a handgun, I'm at a loss as what I would use it for that couldn't be done with a .22 mag. YMMV.
    Of course if you just want one as a toy, then ignore the above,stock up on ammo and enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  10. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Marshal law

11. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Whos this guy

12. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Fair enough.

Seriously?
    Maj Hasan, the fort hood shooter. I believe it made the news at some point.

13. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I see no use for one. The 5.7 is, to my knowledge, basically a souped up .22 Magnum.

Really small bullet coming really fast BUT still not fast enough to get the terminal effect you achieve with a 5.56 MM out of a carbine.

IMHO it's a solution in search of a problem. Designed for military support troops to give them a sidearm capable of defeating enemy body armor. Our military did not think it was worth adopting and as Civilians, I don't think we can legally buy the military penetrating ammo it was designed for. I would not trust this round for SD, don't like the 1k price tag, and believe only 1 ammo company currently loads for it. No other gun makers have adopted this chambering so ammo is going to stay expensive and probably be dropped from production in the future.

Personally, I'd pass unless your trading for a gun worth half as much and plan to flip the FN

TACK

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Lmao tradinh for a glock

15. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

Did he make it? No! He was just some loon who unfortunately knew how to use one

16. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

I think this pistol has a purpose in the civilian market and it not a good one. Any pistol that can hold 30 rounds and be tucked in the pants is scary to me. Next from what I understand, it is very accurate with very little round drop at 50-100 yards but its not for me.

17. aztman

aztman New Member

.50 a shot here. Around 26 bucks a box of 50.

18. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

You can find it online for about that much too,but the only times I've seen them at a LGS they were about a buck per round. I'm sure some areas are cheaper

---Shoot To Thrill---

19. aztman

aztman New Member

Local here at bass pro when I stocked up recently.

20. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I can't buy ammo at basspro anymore,the one here is getting ridiculous with their ammo prices. Cheapest box of 9mm was $21. Steel cased Russian 7.62x39 was $8-9. Just bought enough 7.62x39 to fill every mag I got for $4.90 a box at wallyworld. Their 9mm was $10 and some change

---Shoot To Thrill---