does anyone have the same problem as me?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by pontiac163, Jan 20, 2012.

1. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

So I bought a .45 for home protection and to carry. Well my wife's not to happy about me carrying it. She says she doesn't understand why and thinks that I'm trying to be "tuff and cool" so annoying... I see alot of people here that say they're never more then an arms reach from there gun. I want to get into that habbit. Espeacally since they're has been alot of break ins and home invasions in my area. What's your take on this?

2. Magnum27

Magnum27 New Member

I think a lot of it is the unknown. I live in Illinois so we don't have CC, however a vast majority of people think that you are paranoid if you have a gun. Just last week I had a long discussion with a friend of my wife's about how she thinks it is unnecessary to have a gun. Though she thinks it is fine for her husband to hunt. The premise from many is that it is so remote that someone will break into you house why bother. I would say the same about having fire insurance.

I think if you have your wife read some gun facts or books the John Lott wrote it would help.

3. vincent

vincent New Member

People also win the lottery, every single day, small odds but it happens. Should I not buy a ticket Because I'll probably never win??? Hells no. Anyone with the "it'll never happen to me" mentality is a victim in waiting...

4. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

That's a great way to explain it

5. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

Same with my wife she bought me a shotgun to hunt but yet I can't carry a pistol

6. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

Your right same as why people wear seat belts or carry a spare tire. The odds are small but if it lands on me I wont be the one in regret

7. vincent

vincent New Member

+1 Good analogy! :cool:

8. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Look what's happened to the world since we gave women the right to vote. Why are you listening to her? :D

9. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

Haha I'm not that's what's making her mad!

10. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

I think there is a mentality that some people have, and I'd never bring it up to them in that way, but some people feel or believe that simply by carrying a weapon you are inviting trouble, like it is a magnet FOR a home invasion or to be robbed. She is possibly slightly afraid of actually confronting the idea of being mugged, robbed or having the house invaded or the car jacked while in it. There could be a ton of denial there and to come to the realization that the world is a pretty crappy place, nothing at all like the iPad commercials show, that can scare even the most intelligent individuals. Just carry, be responsible and try to get her out to learn to use it. Some people will be put off by stats since most people don't trust the 'other side's' math, but just being a responsible gun owner/concealed carrier might just be what it takes to win her over. And there is also the realization that she may never be completely comfortable with the idea, but don't cave, just be patient and responsible. Good luck!

11. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

I am very responsible. We've been out all day and when we get home I put it up and she never knew I had it. She thinks I'm in my teenage mind set. But eventually shell realize I'm not causing any problems. I'm not putting anyone in harms way.

12. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

13. DustyDawg48

DustyDawg48 New Member

Yeah, I figured I shouldn't cut and paste my own response to that situation. I had this with a few friends and relatives, and no matter how you try and give them statistics they just don't want to listen.

14. Chandler51

Chandler51 New Member

I carry a gun for the EXACT same reason a police officer does...because the bad guys have them also.

15. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

Another great point. You can't talk the guys out of a robbery

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Does she have any problem with you carrying a pocket knife? You never know when you may need to clean your nails or open a package, yet I never leave the house with dirty nails or a package under my arm.

17. pontiac163

pontiac163 New Member

Well see to her she thinks you never carried a gun before why start now? I told her better to start now the start after I get robbed to shot. She replied "what you think your tuff with that gun don't you?" That makes me feel great knowing she thinks I'm a sissy without it. You just can't win an arguement with girls

18. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

I've tried all the reasons one can logically think of. Now I ignore her.