does anyone have a walther pps

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by hideit, Oct 15, 2007.

1. hideit

hideit New Member

comments criticisms
    i love the p22 with is same size

2. PRM

PRM New Member

Walther PP

I've owned several over the years in both .380 and .32. I currently have a mid-50s era 7.65 or .32. What is your question? They are a classic guns that shoot well and for the era they were produced in had a lot of features found on current production guns. I do prefer the European/Interarms models over the new current production. Finish seems better on the older pieces. S&W extended the beavertail which is supposed to take care of the Walther bite if you have large hands, but to me it took away from the design. Be careful on buying grips, they won't interchange between the S&W and European/Interarms models. Below are some web sites that have additional info

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2188/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walther_PPK

http://www.carlwalther.com

www.waltheramerica.com

3. Varro

Varro New Member

I believe he's referring to the recent polymer line in Walther....Excellent articles in the leading gun magazines on the PPS. Gun reviews are good like always....:)

4. Seymour

Seymour New Member

My father in law just got one, and its a great gun. The few things i didn't like were the shells eject almost vertical, and it can only hold up to 8 rounds. Otherwise it shoots clean, points great, and is super slim. Great gun once you get used to the mag eject.

5. jacksmatrixxx

jacksmatrixxx New Member

thet are like a very tight fitted 1911,the have a break in period,trigger,action and reliability get better with use at least 100 rnds,and a few mags of sd rounds and its ready to go,i love mine

6. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Nothing sitting on a plastic frame can be built to the same tolerances as a tuned 1911. It's physically impossible to duplicate the tolerance with injection molding that can be done with CNC machining and hand fitting.

7. Bighead

Bighead New Member

My friends father-in-law brought one to the range during a recent shooting session. My friend and I were both very, very impressed.

For being so slim it is very comfortable in the hand, and is a super-easy shooter. Like Seymour said, it doesn't have alot of angle on the eject but it does kick them out pretty high. Casings were going high over my right shoulder, landing behind me. The eject didn't bother me, its just different.

With the quality of my old PPK, and my time shooting this gun I am going to give it a very good recommendation.

Walther PPS in the foreground, with PPK for size comparison.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  8. kdog

kdog Member

Good german craftsmanship (Deutsche Handwerkskunst)

The Walter P99 was meant to be used for the german police to take over instead of the Sig Sauer P220 (I think on dutry it is called P5 or P6).
    It is supposed to be a very nice pistol.

All pistols made by Walther that have the name PP are originally made for the police.
    PP stand for Polizei Pistole
    PPK stands for Polizei Pistole kurz (police pistol short)
    PPS stands for Polizei Pistole Schmal (police pistol slim)
    This is, because the PPS is not as wide, as the P99, what makes it interesting for concealed carry.

Unfortunately the german government didn`t go for the Walther this time and decided to take the HK P30 in 9mm as the new duty pistol.
    The government orderd 40000 HP P30`s.

9. dct

dct New Member

I own a pair of PPS's in 9mm (1 is mine and 1 for my wife).

Very convenient for CCW due to the small size (all around) and light weight. Initially they were a bit tricky to find good CCW holsters for, but now they've become much more plentiful. I like mine well enough, but admit I have a tougher time shooting it with the same degree of accuracy as my other pistols (Sig / Glock) for some reason. It's not the pistol - it's the shooter! My wife loves hers and has no issues .. she can out shoot me with the PPS typically. :-(

You might want to look into the larger 8 round mag (talking 9mm) versus the 6 & 7 they come with. I've read that the 7 round mag can be modified to hold 8 rounds with a kit from Walther .. I bought the 8 round mag's instead. The larger mags help to give you a larger and more comfortable grip as otherwise your little finger has to wrap around underneath the mag .. I think this is part of my problem that I need to work through. Again, not the gun just a shooter that needs more practice time with the gun.

Despite my own shortcomings ... I think it will be my preferred CCW once I get my act together as being smaller and fairly thin ... I don't have a lot of places to hide a gun and the size makes a difference for me.

Hope this helps ...

D

10. Captain38

Captain38 New Member

It IS very much like a slim single stack Glock in many ways and that's GOOD! MINE is accurate, carries well and has a great trigger, but I DO wish they had designed the magazine release differently. I find it awkward and would have much preferred the more conventional button type located where the grip and trigger-guard join.

I just bought night-sights from Earl's Repair Shop (a factory authorized Walther representative) and had them installed locally. I have had a KyTac BraveHeart IWB holster on order about three weeks.

Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page

11. trustkill676

trustkill676 New Member

my experiences with it...

i owned one for about 3 months. picked it up right after they first came out (not the first edition gray ones mind you...) because i fell in love with the size and pointability of it. im not sure what the deal with mine was because i had a lot of FTE's with it. i used a ton of different kinds of ammo, i cleaned it up real nice every time i went to shoot it, tried both of the magazines it came with, etc. mine still had the same problems. it seems almost like the drastic angle of the ejection port was catching the rims of the casings before they had a chance to get fully tossed out to the side. nothing i could do would fix it (in my limited knowledge of cleaning and take-down procedures at the time) and the issues seems to average about once per magazine for me, with no pattern as to where, be it first round, last round, etc...

-i finally ended up trading mine in for a pretty good deal on a kimber SIS ultra (i couldnt pass it up), but i followed a lot of reviews since my early run of the PPS and no one seems to have any real sufficient gripes about them. maybe i just got one that slipped through the QC cracks.

:shrugs:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  12. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

Geeze, it's just like JD said. You're not just here trying to gain brownie points are you?

13. trustkill676

trustkill676 New Member

haha! it just seems to be working out that way, i guess. it is nice to be welcomed warmly, but no... this is just my experience. nothing against any type or model of weapon (i have tried quite a few) but it is just my personal preference to like the more "old school" designs... i was really excited to try the PPS when i first read about it when they were first released, but my personal one was a disappointment. anyone who has one that works better than mine did, thats awesome. they seem to have the POTENTIAL to be really solid, really decent carry pistols. not to mention the lifetime warranty of S&W... it really is an attractive package. i just ran across a deal i couldnt pass up, otherwise i would have probably sent mine off to get fixed...

-please dont set me on fire for liking the 1911 all you plasic pistol fans :p

14. airlink

airlink New Member

Bought the 380 for the wife a few months back to carry when she does not want to carry the 9mm. It's a fashion thing I guess. She can shoot some nice groups with it. I wish I had gotten two of them.

15. trustkill676

trustkill676 New Member

do they make a PPS in .380 nowadays? i didnt know they did. thought it was just 9mm and .40 s&w. :shrugs: maybe you were thinking about the ppk/s instead.

-come to think of it though, a pps in .380 may be the softest shooting .380 ever...

16. girlwithguns

girlwithguns New Member

I have the PPS .40S&W and I love it! I've been shooting the Winchester white box ammo through it. So far, no issues.

I weigh about 106 lbs. and can shoot it pretty accurately. The recoil isn't bad at all.

Great size for CCW carry.

17. BILLYBOB44

BILLYBOB44 Active Member

Be careful girl!

Girl, be careful-JD (Dillinger) is lurking in the shadows watching for 106lb. females to come by. Plus a girl with a gun/that can shoot? Just watch out for him!!;)

18. wolfshead

wolfshead New Member

Most of my girlfriends preferred the PPS over the Glock because it was lighter and the grip felt more secure. They also liked the look better. Not sure if this is all due to the 007 nostalgia!

19. champsruss

champsruss New Member

I've had mine for about 8 months now and love it. No problems and it would be tough to find an easier to conceal .40 cal. I carry in IWB SOB on the Harley and hardly know it's there. No ejection problems at all. Some individual guns just need more rounds through than others so chances are that if you have that problem you just don't shoot enough. Everything needs to be broken in to attain perfection.

20. Gojubrian

Gojubrian New Member

zombie...zombie thread!!!!!!