does anyone have a cure for a cosmoline coated yugo mauser stock?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by surplusaddict, Apr 25, 2013.

1. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Please help me clean off the cosmo mess.

2. orangello

orangello New Member

Heat. Is it hot outside today? Do you have a car? Set stock on foil in shallow box on your dash or the roof of your house, etc.

3. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I have 500W work light. That thing gets HOT in just a few seconds. When I was removing cosmoline from my Mosin, I used that, and a small heater to melt the cosmoline. I just wiped it a few time with a rag while it was heating. It got most of the Cosmoline out. If you do that, just make sure not to get the light too close to the wood. Like I said, that thing gets HOT.
    IIRC, I kept mine at least 8"-12" away from it.

4. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

On the Mosins that frequently come coated in the stuff, I just wipe them down with a rag, dampened in mineral spirits, and it does the job without damaging the finish.

5. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Get some brown paper bags and wrap the stock loosely. Put it in the trunk of you car on a hot day. Clean w/ simple green after wipeing it off. Repeat the next day. Finish w/ BLO.

6. ryguy00

ryguy00 New Member

7. jpattersonnh

Destroys wood. Fine on metal parts, but not wood.

8. Gonzilla

Gonzilla Active Member

I've heard a lot of Cosmo horror stories...WW II folk told stories about using gasoline but I have never tried it.

9. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

The crap is pretty dried on and smugged up, would acetone work like taking off shellac on a RC mauser?

10. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Hot water and elbow grease, oh yeah patience. :)

11. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Jplye let me give that a try, id like to use no chemicals if i can. Thanks.

12. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Strip it down if you can and let the metal parts soak in boiling hot water. Be careful with the stock, too much water can raise the grain. Orange Glo, Simple Green or other degreaser will work once the cosmo gets softened up. It will go from waxy to greasy when heated.

13. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

Appreciate the info guys, try to work on it this weekend. I'll take some before and after pics. :)

14. pmanton

pmanton Member

Easy Off oven cleaner. Works like a charm

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Chainfire got it right, Naphta..........Will not hurt your wood or the stock either.

16. jpattersonnh

Your getting into harsh stuff.
    Are you sure Tom? Can't tell by that post. ;) I might use it on the stock, but using it on your WOOD?? Not sure we have a section for that.

17. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Lazy man's way- with no danger of setting self on fire, or being asked to clean the oven while I'm at it....

Wrap in brown paper grocery bags, or 2-3 layers of newspaper, Place in a black plastic garbage bag, place in direct sun, After 2 hours, turn bag over the heat other side.

Without allowing it to cool, remove from bag, discard papers. Also works for stocks that have a 100 yr supply of lube oil soaked in.

18. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Naphta won`t hurt your skin/hands like oven cleaner & stuff like that will..............

19. jpattersonnh

See, you missed every part of that. Harsh was to acetone.
    Not your post. My response to you was a joke. Just not funny when you have to explain it.

20. surplusaddict

surplusaddict New Member

I used acetone to take the shellac off my RC mauser and it worked great using a couple old socks and elbow grease. Luckily my wife had a huge bottle of nail polish remover which contains acetone.