Does anyone carry a .22 Mag revolver?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by cluznar, Nov 13, 2013.

1. cluznar

cluznar New Member

I have been thinking of buying a Ruger LCR .22 Mag snubby for carry. I have read the .22 mag is a decent round and will do some damage, yet has low recoil. Anyone here carry one?

2. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

I carry a High Standard derringer in .22 mag on occasion, tremendous barrel flash and loud report ....but fairly accurate at 5-7 yards ...22 mag is startng to develop interest again in the firearms industry ..nice defensive cartridge ....

3. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

The 40 grain 22 mag in a 2" barrel is barely 100 fps over a 22 mini mag in a 2" barrel. Just not enough barrel for the cartridge. The flash and noise might scare them though. In a 6" barrel the 22 mag is roughly equivalent to a 22lr in a rifle.

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

little 22mag info. its a rimfire round using slow burning powder designed to be used in a rifle barrel greater than 16inches. when it is stuffed into a very short barreled pistol its an extremely poor performer. out of a 3 inch barrel they barely get to 800ish fps with a 40 grain bullet.

its a slightly worse performer than 25acp which is totally inadequate for self defense.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Trouter- last one of those I had a trigger pull around 12 lbs. Yours any better?

6. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

C3shooter ... Right you are, the trigger is like ten miles of dirt road ...pull the trigger and come back half hour later when it discharges ..seriously tho, I carry it in my fishing pack ..with bird shot in .22 mag up close and personal it's a really good snake gun ... Those derringers are really sought after in .22 mag, couldn't believe the prices they are getting for it on the Internet ....

7. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Hornady makes their Critical defense in 22 Mag…..

8. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

Clr8ter ".....I did not know that .... That's good information ...many thanks, next trip to the gun store I will acquire a box or two ...Wow, that s gotta be nasty with critical defense configuration ...

Paul

9. BK3220

BK3220 Member Lifetime Supporter

Test data I saw, Gun Tests ,I think, showed a big advantage to the critical defense loads in a revolver, Now if I could find some...

10. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Mmmm, good luck finding any. I was at the gunshop an hour ago, and they had another 22 Mag made for revolvers and other short barrels. Ummm, Speer? Crap, I can't remember now. Kinda pricey, $16+ a box.

Ahh, yes, Speer Gold Dots it was.

11. trouter3

trouter3 New Member

Checked a few Internet sites and a few have inventory most out of
    Stock though, going price $15-$17 a box .....22 mag has always been a pricey caliber for its size and popularity ...the .22 mag shot puts out a pretty dense pattern at close range, meaning 5 to 7 yards ...