Does anybody know what this might be??

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by User Name, Oct 19, 2009.

1. User Name

User Name New Member

[​IMG]

My grandfather past away a few years ago and left this to me. I have no idea what it is. Its made in western germany, .22LR, single action. Anybody have any idea what it is and how much its worth? I will never sell it because it was my grandfathers, but id still like to know if its something rare or anything.Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

I doubt is is rare, but if you could show some markings or stamps, it would help. Looks like an old Ruger Vacquero, but without markings....

Looks to be in pretty good condition, too. Does the action work?

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It does look like a Ruger.

There is a member here, he doesn't post much, but the really knows his stuff when it comes to revolvers.

PM Bob Wright - I bet he knows...

JD

4. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

Germany?

Rohm made thousands of SA revolvers in .22LR.

If that's what you have, they're ok, but not really worth much. Shoot it and enjoy it.

5. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Many companys imported these in the 1960's with varying name. The one I can remember off the top of my head is "Buffalo Scout", though I have seen them with different names. Since the gun control act of 1968, importation of these guns was banned so they simple shipped the parts to a company in the US and they were assembled here, this allowed them to stamp "made in the USA" on them thus skirting the GCA of 1968.

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Nice grips if those are real stag!

7. User Name

User Name New Member

Yes I have shot it, everything works good on it. I didn't think it was worth much but its priceless to me. Thanks for the feed back guys I was just curious.

I dont have any other pictures of it. I can get some but it will probably take a few days.

8. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

A serial number would be nice.

9. User Name

User Name New Member

OK to start off I lost my camera...

It says J.P. SAUER & SOHN underneath that it says made in western Germany.

On the other side it says Western Marshal 22.LR

Underneath the cylinder it says HAWES FIREARMS CO Los Angeles California

SO I am assuming it was made by J.P. SAUER AND SOHN (which is just Sig sauer?) and imported by Hawes...

10. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Nope, not Sig-Sauer. These were low priced, decent quality, functional revolvers...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  11. User Name

User Name New Member

Ok thanks, how would I be able to tell how old it was?

12. 1861

1861 New Member

It is a Rohm ( RG ) . Fun lil plinker . Use to buy them new in the 70's for less than 50 bucks .

13. 1919A4

1919A4 New Member

You probably can't. But it's likely not terribly old and it's age won't affect it's value.

The fact that an importer's name is stamped into the gun suggests that it came into the country since the 1968 importation ban was lifted, as that's when import information was required on foreign firearms. It also says made in West Gemany. That's another clue. So probably late 80's to sometime prior to the reunification of Germany would be my guess.

14. User Name

User Name New Member

Cool thanks for all the info guys!

15. crossfire

crossfire New Member

J. P. Sauer & Sohn is the "Sauer" portion of Sig-Sauer Firearms and yes, they did make some Sig Sauer revolvers. The Hawes Western Marshal was made by them as was the Herter's PowerMag.