Firearms Talk banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
The question of horse intelligence made me think of other animals and I brought them into the mix. Being a dog lover and a horse hater I wanted to champion the smarts of pooches. A little digression, if you will please pardon my hat. I am comfortable with a gun and one or two large canine companions in the woods for my sense of personal security. No, I gladly have no experience with bears or other predators face to face in the wilds. The bears just look dumb and oafish in the movies and on TV having watched a lot of Disney outdoors and nature films.

That said, I was still curious about the horseback hunting experience which I have never had and I feel I would be reluctant to ever participate in unless such an all-expenses-paid hunting outing on horseback were to be a free gift or an award as in a contest. I'm not so sure my weary old bones and aching muscles would be up to such days-long rigors in the outdoors. I had American deer and big game hunting in mind, not foxes and hounds.
Obviously you create these threads to provoke others. You surely do not think horses have no intelligence, and bears are dumb.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
I don't think many here do because most fellows hate horses in the first place.

Most men and boys hate horses for a number of reasons. They stink. They have bad breath. They spook. They are hard to control. They bite hands and fingers. They buck off riders. They kick like mule. They step on feet. I've always lost every time I bet on them which was only twice in my lifetime. A young guy at work once told me horses are only good for dog food and glue factories. I don't like horses myself.

hippophobe = man or boy
Horses are the ONLY way to hunt elk in the Rockies. I grew up farming and ranching, which meant spending quit some in the saddle. But even though I knew how to 'rope and ride' I got completely away from it when I 'went off to college'! Horses were WORK when I was growing up.;) Well I married back into horses in the mid 80's, endurance riding and trail riding, and started using horse for hunting. I tell people that horses are 16 times more effective/efficient than hunting on foot becasue you can cover 4 times the ground with 1/4th the effort.;) They are good for getting you to the place to hunt and GREAT to pack out the meat. :) I do not 'shoot' off horse back, but I know some who do. I also know two friends who were permanently disabled when they shot off horse back.:( I still have horse, for pleasure only, and would rather spend time with my horses than most people I know. I am and old cowboy!:cool:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
You’re so annoying
too bad, Jack

nobody is twisting your arm to participate here

I hate horses so what do you have to say about that?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Obviously you create these threads to provoke others. You surely do not think horses have no intelligence, and bears are dumb.
I don't like either animal anyway. Horses make great dog food. Bears make nice rugs.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Hmmmmm...I know in my heart , that there is a Big Hammer sitting in the corner collecting dust . Thought it would have came out in the Woman's only section.

·
Administrator
34,289 Posts
too bad, Jack

nobody is twisting your arm to participate here

I hate horses so what do you have to say about that?
I say you are very strange.
Hmmmmm...I know in my heart , that there is a Big Hammer sitting in the corner collecting dust . Thought it would have came out in the Woman's only section.
It’s never collecting dust. I keep it very clean.

·
Administrator
26,167 Posts
Memory flashback- late friend of mine out of Arizona that was a cowboy and a (part time) hunting guide. We were talking one night, told me about a client he took hunting on horseback. While they were riding, a little spike buck ran out ahead of them. Client pulled rifle out of scabbard, leans forward in the saddle, lays the barrel across the horse's head, laying it between her ears (like sandbags on a benchrest) and fired.

Poor deafened horse bucked the client halfway back to the Phoenix airport.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
The horse, in spite of being smelly, spooky and ornery, is the sexiest non-human animal in our western culture. A lot of human nudity in art and also, romantic poetry and music lyrics are associated with them.

There is something hot about the notion of a couple of young lovers racing toward the sun or the moon up a hillside on a beautiful stallion. Fantasies of winged Pegasuses that fly high.
I've said it before and reiterate, whatever is wrong with you is no small thing.

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
I don't hunt on horses, but I do enjoy a horse steak every now and then.

·
Administrator
34,289 Posts
Memory flashback- late friend of mine out of Arizona that was a cowboy and a (part time) hunting guide. We were talking one night, told me about a client he took hunting on horseback. While they were riding, a little spike buck ran out ahead of them. Client pulled rifle out of scabbard, leans forward in the saddle, lays the barrel across the horse's head, laying it between her ears (like sandbags on a benchrest) and fired.

Poor deafened horse bucked the client halfway back to the Phoenix airport.
I would beat the ever lovin’ poop out of someone who did that to my horse.
I don't hunt on horses, but I do enjoy a horse steak every now and then.
Nooooooo.…

Reactions: BullMoose429

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,117 Posts
41 - 58 of 58 Posts