Firearms Talk banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

Premium Member
I Very negative experience with horses! How can such a large powerful animal be so stupid?
Growing up we always had 4 to 6 horses around and up to 500 head of cattle. The horses got into more trouble on a per capita basis than the cattle.

IMO, horses are quite smart, their curiosity, inquisitiveness is what gets them into trouble.

I have no desire to own one though.

Registered
Reactions: ellis36

Registered
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Please, don't ask my wife this question.
Horses are prey animals. The predators have the foxy cunning.

Horse, like oxen, are big with muscle and have small brains because they are not meat-eaters. The carnivores have the witty brains.

Which carnivores are the cleverest?

The cat family?
The dog family?
The weasel family?

All carnivores have to be so foxy to sneak up on prey.

Registered
I always preferred the throttle cable for speed control rather than the fuzzy logic software connection between the reins and the feet of a horse.

ellis
My brother had horses for years, Out of nowhere one bit his girlfriend. She had work done, was like watching auto body repair LOL... Like replacing skin and wet sand her skin with 2000 grit paper LOL...

Reactions: ellis36

Registered
Horses are prey animals. The predators have the foxy cunning.

Horse, like oxen, are big with muscle and have small brains because they are not meat-eaters. The carnivores have the witty brains.

Which carnivores are the cleverest?

The cat family?
The dog family?
The weasel family?

All carnivores have to be so foxy to sneak up on prey.
The weasel family? I say. Seen them devastate ponds with fish no heads, Chickens etc.... Cat I say second.... ???

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
The weasel family? I say. Seen them devastate ponds with fish no heads, Chickens etc.... Cat I say second.... ???
I'm partial to canines.

The sly fox is a member of the dog family. These Canids, wolves, are pretty damn slick:

I would say bears, are the dumbest and most klutzy of the carnivores.

Premium Member
I'm partial to canines.

The sly fox is a member of the dog family. These Canids, wolves, are pretty damn slick:

So, what does this have to do with hunting on horseback? I am just guessing, but I imagine you have little or no experience with bears do you? Have you ever been in the wild; just you with your provisions in a backpack and your rifle (no horses since you seem to consider them stupid)?

Registered
I'm partial to canines.

Red fox dog like. Gray Fox cat like. Can climb tree bushes fence posts etc.

Supporting Member
Never hunted from one! But did do a little roping, trail riding and enjoying my Palomino Quarter Horse. Raised and broke him from a Colt. Here is what he looked like.
Like Winds he was a great horse and it hurt to let him go! I sold him when I moved to the City for my job on the Metro PD. Buckshot as I called him, ended up having a great life! Ended up on the Indianapolis Shrine Patrol. Living in a great well taken care of stable and wearing his beautiful Silver Tac. to the events. Here is a picture of the 1989 Shrine Parade in Indianapolis that Buckshot as I called him, participated in.
Indianapolis Shrine Patrol.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #35

Registered
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
So, what does this have to do with hunting on horseback? I am just guessing, but I imagine you have little or no experience with bears do you? Have you ever been in the wild; just you with your provisions in a backpack and your rifle (no horses since you seem to consider them stupid)?
The question of horse intelligence made me think of other animals and I brought them into the mix. Being a dog lover and a horse hater I wanted to champion the smarts of pooches. A little digression, if you will please pardon my hat. I am comfortable with a gun and one or two large canine companions in the woods for my sense of personal security. No, I gladly have no experience with bears or other predators face to face in the wilds. The bears just look dumb and oafish in the movies and on TV having watched a lot of Disney outdoors and nature films.

That said, I was still curious about the horseback hunting experience which I have never had and I feel I would be reluctant to ever participate in unless such an all-expenses-paid hunting outing on horseback were to be a free gift or an award as in a contest. I'm not so sure my weary old bones and aching muscles would be up to such days-long rigors in the outdoors. I had American deer and big game hunting in mind, not foxes and hounds.

Premium Member
The question of horse intelligence made me think of other animals and I brought them into the mix. Being a dog lover and a horse hater I wanted to champion the smarts of pooches. A little digression, if you will please pardon my hat. I am comfortable with a gun and one or two large canine companions in the woods for my sense of personal security. No, I gladly have no experience with bears or other predators face to face in the wilds. The bears just look dumb and oafish in the movies and on TV having watched a lot of Disney outdoors and nature films.

That said, I was still curious about the horseback hunting experience which I have never had and I feel I would be reluctant to ever participate in unless such an all-expenses-paid hunting outing on horseback were to be a free gift or an award as in a contest. I'm not so sure my weary old bones and aching muscles would be up to such days-long rigors in the outdoors. I had American deer and big game hunting in mind, not foxes and hounds.
Less movies/TV and more reality might help your perceptions John.

Premium Member
Another adantage to horses is that you can carry quite a bit of survival gear, extra water and snacks in a good pair of saddlebags without having to carry the weight on your shoulders.

Premium Member
Hunting using horses bring me two different impressions that are on the opposite side of the spectrum.

The yuppy brit hunter dressed like a red coat hunting foxes, and the modern American cowboy packing out an elk off of a mountain in 3 feet of snow.

Registered
Discussion Starter #40
Hunting using horses bring me two different impressions that are on the opposite side of the spectrum.

The yuppy brit hunter dressed like a red coat hunting foxes, and the modern American cowboy packing out an elk off of a mountain in 3 feet of snow.
The horse, in spite of being smelly, spooky and ornery, is the sexiest non-human animal in our western culture. A lot of human nudity in art and also, romantic poetry and music lyrics are associated with them.

There is something hot about the notion of a couple of young lovers racing toward the sun or the moon up a hillside on a beautiful stallion. Fantasies of winged Pegasuses that fly high.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts