Does a C&R License make transferring a Mosin easier?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by RichNH, Apr 22, 2013.

1. RichNH

RichNH New Member Supporter

I saw a posting in a For Sale ad on another gun site where the poster was selling a Mosin. And in the ad he mentioned that he only wanted to sell to someone with a C&R License because it was simpler?

Does the buyer having a C&R eliminate some paperwork requirement or background check requirement for the seller? This was for a face-to-face sale in MA (if that makes a difference.)

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Rich- a person without a FFL cannot sell ANY firearm to a person that is not a resident of the same state- EXCEPT they can sell TO or THRU a FFL in another state.

And a C&R is a FFL. It is a Collector's FFL.

Example- I am in NH, you are in mass. I want a rifle you have. We agree on $$, I send to you, along with a copy of my C&R FFL. You may then ship the rifle directly to me, or I can drive over and pick it up.

The "paperwork" was done when the BATFE issued me that license.

3. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Thanks for askin, I've wondered the same.

4. RichNH

RichNH New Member Supporter

Thanks for the answer, understanding the a C&R is a type of FFL makes it make sense.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

You're welcome. There are about 11 different FFLs. A regular Dealer is an 01 FFL, Pawn Shop an 02 FFL, and a Collector of Curio & Relic Firearms, an 03 FFL. Curio & Relic is a 50 year old gun, or a gun on the list published by the BATFE with no regard to age.

6. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Not sure why they guy wold care. Just take the thing to a NH gun shop, pay the $25 let them do the transfer, and that's it. Seems he's limiting his potential customers by requiring an FFL.