does a beretta nano take +p ammo?

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by Krisms, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Krisms

Krisms New Member

my defense ammo is federal hst 9mm 124gr +p. shoots well and fine with my glock 19 gen 4 but i'm also considering the same ammo for my ccw. does anyone know if the beretta nano would be fine firing this hot ammo?

2. K33viper

K33viper New Member

Also interested in knowing since that it's my next piece I am picking up.

3. phildenton

phildenton New Member

I would strongly recommend checking the paperwork that came with it, or looking up the info from Beretta's website. It will be in those places and guaranteed to be reliable and accurate.

4. Krisms

Krisms New Member

thanks. what i did was called beretta. the armorer told me that they do not recommend +p and +p+ ammo on the nano. on the other hand, i asked also if they would not recommend 115 gr ammo. he said all ammo weight should be fine. i find that interesting considering it's been said in reviews so many times that 115 gr causes fte/ftf.

5. K33viper

K33viper New Member

I know I just got 1000 rounds of 115 gr and plan to test that theory out....

6. Krisms

Krisms New Member

let us know how it turns out.

7. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I wouldn't use it.

Then again, I generally hate +P ammunition. Doesn't matter what gun you have, it's going to wear it out much faster for pretty much no benefit.

8. K33viper

K33viper New Member

I only use +P with my self defense ammo. Which I shoot out of my pistols maybe once every 6 months just to get a feeling of the recoil. Other than that it's just regular cheap 115 gr plinkin ammo for the range, lets me work on my mechanics/draw which is more important in my mind than getting used to the recoil of a certain gr of bullet.

I'll let you guys know if I have any FTF or any issues with my 115gr that I run through it, it may be awhile though I put the gun on layaway so I can pay it off at the advertised price ($430) instead of the regular ($520), should be running drills with it by the end of November at the LATEST.

Also plan on taking my little girl to the range for the first time when I pick that up so that she can see the difference in Daddy's guns, show her my PX4 Storm, Ruger LC9, and new Nano. Give her a overview of SA SA/DA and Striker Fire, then let her shoot all 3 showing her the difference in trigger pulls, safeties and just basic feel.

I'm really excited about this trip, not only do I get to take my daughter to a (hopeful) new hobby for us, but I'll be picking up my new Nano.

9. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Wurd to ya mutha! Much agreed here. The standard pressure with a reliably expanding hollowpoint tip is all you need.

10. mdauben

mdauben New Member

I'm really surprised that in this day and age that any manufacturer would make a gun that doesn't handle +P ammo. I would consider this a serious mark against the NANO.

11. forrest225

forrest225 New Member

I don't agree with that. In my eyes, and many others, just about any handgun round is on the weak side for self defense. I'm not saying +P should be all you shoot, but why wouldn't you carry the very best round you can?

12. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

They won't recommend you use +p because it will prematurely wear down the pistol. But if you fire it only on a rare occasion I can't imagine it being a problem.

13. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

I wouldn't at all consider +P better than standard, that was my point. So the very best is subjective. The very Best is what you shoot well, is reliable and saves your life. Premature wear is not the very best. I practice with my ammo and I won't put my guns through that. They're too old for that kind of punishment anyway. Lol

14. BeyondTheBox

BeyondTheBox New Member

Why would you only shot the Ammunition that you're asking to possibly save your life on rare occasion? I don't know man, do as you please. I'll do for me and I always err on the side of caution with my prized belongings.

15. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

That is total and absolute BS. I've fired literally tens of thousands of rounds of 115, 115+p and 115 +P+ with no failures of any kind.

In some newer guns with stiff springs, low pressure loads like White Box, UMC, American Eagle will FTE. But that happens with 124 grain and 147 grain as well as 115. The "cure" for that is to shoot the weapon until it's " well broken in" or switch to higher pressure ammo.

For many years the Federal 9BPLE, 115 +P+ was the "standard" load for LE agencies nationwide.

For your Nano, Federal 9BP, 115 grain standard pressure would be hard to beat.

16. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

I read a review of the Nano in December 2012's Shooting Illustrated, it was on the cover. the reviewer shot +P with it, and it performer flawlessly with it. He did mention that prolonged use of +P will prematurely wear out the pistol. If your SD ammo is +P, then I would shoot 124 or 147 gr and occasionally shoot the +P at the range, and still CC the +P.

I am one of the lucky ones that won in this year's FTF 2012 Big giveaway, and I won the Nano! so I look forward to getting it, as it was on my short list of firearms I want to own...I will also be happy to provide a range report once it put it thru its paces.

17. Krisms

Krisms New Member

i'm pretty much just sharing what i've heard from beretta and from what i've read and seen on user reviews and videos. if it works great on your nano, good for you. i don't think it's fair however for you to call it 'total and absolute BS'. for all you know, there could be someone out there who has that same opinion on your comment.

18. locutus

Contact any manufacturer of 9MM handguns and ask them if they their weapons have ever experienced FTF or FTE because of 115 grain ammo.

The answer is no. Review on the net???? Bubba bought a Glock and limp wristed it, so whatever ammo he happened to be shooting won't work in Glocks.

19. locutus

i asked also if they would not recommend 115 gr ammo. he said all ammo weight should be fine.[Quote}

Will you believe Beretta???:p

20. oli700

oli700 New Member

So what’s the big difference if your train with 124 grain fmj and load +p 124 grain hp for SD ? Nothing to shake a stick at that’s what. As long as you know it functions in your weapon and it hits the spot you point it at you know all you need to know about your carry ammo.It is much more important to actually train more, muscle memory and fundamentals .If you want to burn the spendy ammo for no more reason than to say you do it because that’s what you carry in your gun then more power to you but don’t try to make someone feel stupid for doing the sensible thing