Do you use your safety?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by txpossum, May 20, 2016.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I think safeties on most guns are about as helpful as tits on a boar hog. The ONLY time use a safety is if I'm carrying a 1911 "cocked and locked", but . . . I know, I know, this goes against established doctrine and training -- I carry in condition two. I'm just comfortable thumbing the hammer back. I don't advise it, but I'm too old to worry about changing now.

But back to safeties. I can't tell you the number of times I"ve had a customer NOT want to purchase a gun because it didn't have a frame safety. "It's not safe", they say, " it could go off by accident". How, pray tell, can, say, a S&W Bodyguard .380, with a trigger pull that only a stevedore could like and a travel distance equal to that between Houston and El Paso go off "by accident"? For "safety" concerns (meaning making the manufactuers safe from lawsuits) most small autos have long, heavy trigger pulls. (Give me a 1911, I'll sign the waiver).

IMO, all a safety can do is confuse you when you need the gun in a hurry.

2. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Manual safeties are obsolete on modern weapons.

The only EFFECTIVE safety on any weapon is your booger picker.

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Yep. Keep the finger off the trigger.

4. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

On my fire arms that have safeties I use them, why... idk because they are there. On my long guns I also use my saftey also just because it's there. Do I rely on it to save somthing, no that's why I keep my finger off the trigger.

My opinion on safeties slowing someone down or endangering them because they don't take it off.... if your not smart enough to operate a lever you should not own a deadly weapon. If you are also over come with that much panic you probly ain't gonna hit what you need to anyway.

I prefer a handgun not to have a external safety.

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  5. woodlander

woodlander Member Supporter

Your brain is the only safety that you really need. You can't make up for the lack of a brain with a mechanical device.

6. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Anyone can accidentally drop a loaded firearm. A firing pin locking safety can make a real difference in that case. Otherwise I agree with the responses above.

7. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

And to add to locutus's great comment! That would be to carry it in a safe holster protecting the trigger from snagging on items by accident no matter where one carries their weapon.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Please allow me to chime in.

A safety is an additional piece of hardware that (hopefully) avoids "accidental" discharge. Some designs did not originally have them, but the end user wanted it added (the history of the 1911 is a good reference).

Condition 2 (for those who are not aware) is normally a condition that is not recommended for the 1911. This is a round in the chamber, slide in lock-up, and the hammer down on the firing pin. The only way to do that is to carefully pull the trigger to allow the hammer to move forward. Why is that carry not recommended? One slip of the hammer in the process of lowering can result in a discharge and a banged up thumb. And the chances that one's thumb slips increases with age and practice.

9. Dakota1

Dakota1 Active Member

I agree about manual safeties. I'd only use one if I carried a 1911 (which I don't). My HKUSP 45 has a manual safety that I never use. It has a decocker & a 12-lb. D.A. trigger, so the safety is as useless as it would be on a D.A. revolver. I'm used to keeping my finger outside the trigger guard unless I'm shooting.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Manual safeties for guns in single action for cocked and locked carry make sense. DA/SA guns may have a Decocker to put it into DA mode for safety against accidental discharge. They could also have a manual safety to give an option for cocked and locked carry on SA mode.

Striker fired guns which have a trigger that performs the final cocking don't really need a manual safety

My 1911s and CZ75 may get carried with the hammer cocked and safety on. Sig p220 carried with a loaded chamber and hammer decocked. Glock and M&P loaded chamber and in a good holster with the trigger covered.

11. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

I would {O N L Y} carry a gun with a frame mounted safety, I even had a thumb safety added to my glock !!!

12. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ Well-Known Member

I use a safety if im pausing during shooting, even then pausing while firing Id rather drop the mag and clear chamber locking slide back to converse if required of me, at this time I dont use the safeties on my the handguns, because I dont use them for personal defence, just recreation.

And the handguns If I chose to carry a hand gun for personal defence it'd be a .44mag and .45cal revolvers.
    For serious defence (Alaskan Bush) I carry a pump 12ga stoked w slugs for my back country maintenance work in bear country.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
  13. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

No Safety on my SCCY. Granted it has a 8.5-9lb DAO trigger. This pistol can be dropped 50ft on the rear and still not fire. Plus the way the safety was designed on this little pistol it cuts into the the thumb and index knuckle.

The NAA derringer has a rest half between the chambers so that the hammer does not rest on a live round. Pull the hammer back and it is ready to go. Must also pull the hammer after each shot.

The rest of the rifles and shotguns have the safety used at all times. As mentioned just another mechanism. The only true safety the mass between the ears.

14. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I use the long pull of double action as my safety.

15. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Next question: Do you use the brakes on your car? I've been trained to accelerate only fast enough to

be able to stop safely without them...

16. gunman41mag

gunman41mag Active Member

A safety would cut down on glock leg aka AD

17. SSGN_Doc

Maybe...maybe not... according to Tex Grebner. He has 1911 leg that a manual safety and grip safety didn't prevent.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  18. gator_mike

gator_mike New Member

Latest gun I bought is a Tri Star C100 (CZ75 clone) and it has a safety. I carry it "condition one" like a 1911. The safety location and the fact it does not take a tow truck to release the safety makes it perfect for this type of carry.

19. SSGN_Doc

Actually the prefered way to carry the CZ75 types. Lowering the hammer even to half cocked on the non-decocker models is probably more risky than just engaging the safety of you are carrying with a round in the chamber.

20. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

There is no such thing as an AD. They are an NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES!