Do you use a gun safe?

Discussion in 'Firearm Accessories & Gear' started by as_eye, Apr 9, 2007.

1. as_eye

as_eye New Member

How many of you actually use a gun safe/locker? I know I don't. But, I think if you have one-two you don't need to, but the more you have the more necessity there is.

2. illusion11

illusion11 New Member

We don't use a safe/locker... we just use a locked closet, it works just as well we think.

3. ckbig

ckbig New Member

I have a small gun safe for my handguns. Keep my rifle in the truck.

4. ken p.

ken p. New Member

safes

Now a days 1 good weapon will cost you more than a good safe. Think about it

5. trautert

trautert New Member

Other than the bedside table .45, and the 12 ga. pump in the bed room closet, the rest are kept in the eight 8-gun cabinets or the 16 or 32 gun rifle safes or the handgun cabinets attached to the rifle cabinets.

But then, my kids are all grown, so I suppose I could just leave them all lying around to make it easy for burglars.

Tom

6. bkt

bkt New Member

I keep guns and ammo in a locked room.

7. GZ44

GZ44 New Member

In NJ gun safes are tax-exempt.
    In Montana gun safes are tax-deductible.

Two good pro-gun laws (both which should be nationwide) that make sense.
    This not only promotes safety, protects your firearm, helps keep them out of the wrong hands it also provides an affordable incentive for people to buy one.

What I don't like at all is the key lock feature on new S&W revolvers.
    I already lost the cheap key for mine and won't use it....won't buy another new S&W revolver again because of it.

8. Bear_Down

Bear_Down New Member

I have to much invested in guns not to locked up.Some could be re made but some could never be replaced Like my Savage 99F. And Husqvarna .

9. BLS33

BLS33 New Member Supporter

I keep mine in a safe bolted to the floor and wall.

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

safe

900 # (empty) fire lined safe for anything not under my immediate control. I don't need to bolt it down, You would need a tow truck to move it when loaded down with guns.

11. Luvs2hunt

Luvs2hunt New Member

I don't have no stinking safe.

I have two, ha.

Its still pretty crowded and I keep 3 others quickly available (no kids in the house) for defense.

12. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

I have a safe. I figured it was good insurance.
    I bolted it to the floor and then built a closet around it. I figure if you can't find it then you can't break into it.

13. Tilt

Tilt New Member

The doors are very heavy on those things and there have been people seriously hurt from a safe tipping over ontop of them. Granted it is a rare thing, but Sh@t happens. Plus If you are not home who is to say the thieves won't use one of those moving dollies to wheel it right out the door, guns and all. The guy that delivered ours also bolted it down.

14. mike1952

mike1952 New Member

how to secure it

How did you bolt it to cement? I want to get one and wonder how to secure it to the floor? I am a college grad and dont have much mechanical ability.

15. 1984cj

1984cj New Member

There are holes in the bottom of the safe.
    I bought a concrete rated drill bit, bolts and the concrete anchors for them and washers.
    Drill the hole in the concrete for the anchors (I did this after the safe was in place) place the anchors in the holes and bolt the safe down using the bolts and washers.

16. henryk

henryk New Member

Mine is not bolted down but is in a spare bedroom closet. We have no kiddies running around here that might try and tip it over on themselves so I haven't been in a hurry to do the bolt thing yet. As with all valuables, the guns are best kept in the safe when not in use. All but the few pistols I keep handy for home security.

17. rev-arb

rev-arb New Member

yes. and in a locked room

18. pikeman

pikeman New Member

It is my opinion that the use of a gun safe is most appropriate if such weapons would otherwise be available to young children. In any other case, I do not agree to their use.

Gun safes are ugly and cumbersome. To use any of them, is to know where they will be placed, such that the flooring will accept the weight.

I much prefer to adequately insure my weapons, and then enjoy viewing them; actually living among them. I can't see the ownership of firearms if that ownership must be tempered by fear and hiding.

pikeman

19. jeepejeep

jeepejeep New Member

OK I'll kick your closet door in with one or two kicks even with a solid door. Try that with my steel safe, bolted to a cement wall and floor. No comparison I think.

20. Fastrob

Fastrob New Member

Safe

4, 2 different.