Do You Think This Would Kill One

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Brad C., Mar 21, 2012.

1. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

I shot my Moss 835 this last weekend. Thought I would show you guys the pattern.

[​IMG]

Here's the backside.

[​IMG]

2. Buckethead47

Buckethead47 New Member

the patern looks like it would. its a little low and to the right though.

3. akers06

akers06 New Member

How far was this shot

4. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Target says 40 yards. Is that a 30" circle? 70% of shot in it? Full Choke then I'd guess. Big turkey head maybe.

5. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

40yds tape measured

10" circle

Paper is 8.5" x 11"

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

What kind of choke and shells

7. akers06

akers06 New Member

I've done a lot of research with turkey guns and I have a hard time believing that was shot at 40 yards id have to see it to believe it

8. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

That's what my buddy and his son were saying that saw it.

That gun will shoot with the best of them.

And that was exactly 120 feet from tip of choke to target.

Star Dot .676 choke and the great lot# 300325 of Hevi-13 3.5" 2.25oz #7 shot

That pattern has been repeated with that same load.

I suggest you go to www.oldgobbler.com and do some reading about these shells and the Star Dot choke. Those chokes have been bringing high dollar on ebay.

9. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Well heck, that sure is some tight pattern that I'd concede goes beyond "Super Full"/"Turkey". I would, however, point out that the fact that your center of POI is indeed low and right (albeit only a coupla inches and that is very good rifle shooting with a shotgun), demonstrates why you WANT Turkey choke -- you need a little larger pattern at that range, IMO, and not try to overcome the features and benefit that shotguns offer. If you were shooting at a 60 yard target that'd be different, but then I wouldn't be relying on #7 shot even in/maybe especially in, that shell!

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  10. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

Number 7 is a bit light for turkey.

I'd be more impressed if the pattern was using #4 or 5's.

11. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

I was aiming at the center of the neck at the waddles. Pattern really is only off maybe 1.5" from being deadnut. That turkey target is off centered of the paper anyway. But I did move my dot scope just a hair more up and to the left. It should now be more deadnut.

Those 7's will out penetrate a lead 6 in my opinion from what I have seen.

I shot a 24lb gobbler during the spring season of 2010 at 45yds and the 7's blew completely through his head and neck. That is Hevi-Shot and not lead. They are harder and heavier than lead.

Here's how much one of those Star Dot chokes recently sold for on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Star-Dot-Ch...124?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256e4e6404

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  12. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

Here's the gun.

[​IMG]

13. akers06

akers06 New Member

That's why you have so many shot on the ten inch circle is bc you are using #7 shot in my opinion thats not enough for long range shots....in my STOEGER using 3 1/2 in 2 1/4 oz #4 shot federal mag shok copper plated lead I'm putting about 40 in the head and neck of a turkey at 50 yards and about 65 at 40 yards and remember that's with $18 dollar a box #4s that hevi **** just ain't worth the money in my opinion

14. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

I used to shoot lead # 4's. And the 835 would shoot them a lot better than any gun that I have tried due to the bigger .775 overbored barrel. And it wouldn't shoot nearly as dense of patterns especially not like your stating it would. I can put about 3 and then some #7 pellets for every 1 # 4 pellet you will get for number of lethal hits. And you have stated your negative opinions. So you shoot what you wish and you pay what you want for shells.

15. akers06

akers06 New Member

Well id have to see it to believe it if it shot that good them all of pro still Target shooters would be shooting but u say what u want there is no way an over sized barrel like that is gonna shoot that good

16. akers06

akers06 New Member

And you say you put 3 times as many as I do so your saying you pit around 180 or 190 in the head and neck at 40 yards????? I don't think so bud

17. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Killing zone........

I shoot black birds out in the front yard..... they number in the hundreds, on the ground.......I kill more with the full choke.... That being said, and if you shoot slugs choke really doesn't matter when you shoot to kill.....;)

18. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

I again encourage you to go and spend some time reading at www.oldgobbler.com I used to shoot 4's and again I will tell you that the larger .775 overbored 835 barrel will shoot 4's better than the gun your stating. It's got a 10GA bore barrel. The guys that are at old gobbler know how well the 835 will shoot that own them and especially those that have Star Dot chokes like I have. My pattern I showed you has well over 100 hits in the head and neck. You would be doing super if you could put even get 30 hits with lead 4's at that tape measured same size target I posted.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  19. Brad C.

Brad C. New Member

There's a big difference between shooting blackbirds scattered about than shooting and killing a turkey at 40yds. I want to put a swarm of shot on his head and neck. That's why I shoot the Hevi-Shot #7 loads.