Do You Social Network?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by TheGunLady, Apr 8, 2010.

1. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

You know - FaceBook, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc.

I'm old school. I was always taught, and always taught, never to share personal information on the web.

As much as I hate the social networking sites, they do offer a cornucopia of business opportunities.

I have reluctantly started to participate.

Do you? If so, why? If not, why not?

2. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

One word answer...

Why?

Three word answer...

Why would you?

Two word answer...

Hell no!

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Never. There is no good reason to ever build a page "all about me". I have no blogs and I will have no "IT" page.

Doing a Google search on my real name will lead you in a page click after page click experience of frustration leading you nowhere. I have been working at being "off the grid" for awhile now, and while having a home in your name is the wrong turn on that road, good luck finding much else. :cool:

All those sites are a just a really, really bad idea in the age of EVERYONE being Interwebz savvy.

JD

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

+ 1 to Skullcrusher and J.D. answers

5. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I do. But the info is mostly just bs stuff. I don't really put myself out there in an honest manner they way WAY too many peolpe do

6. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

Answer 1: That's what I'm askin'.
    Answer2: I said in the original post
    Answer 3: K. That's what I was askin'.
    :D

7. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

8. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

I understand.

Personally, I'm not real worried about Google searches on my name. For real, my birth name is Pamela Anderson. Go ahead. Find me. ;)

I do, however, use a "web persona", and that's what I use on the social networking sites. It has it's own name, email address, physical snail mail address, and phone number, and I tie it in to my business sites behind the scenes. I've built this persona since 1987. I'm thinking of revoking it and using my real info.

I really don't care if anyone "finds" me on the web. I have no problem with that, nothing to hide, and all of the defense mechanisms I need in the event that any potential physical finding is hostile.

Mostly I see good things in there. I can meet potential business clients and employees, and regroup with friends gone by.

But I am seriously skeptical of the social networking sites on privacy issues where the government is concerned. I know that this government was not designed as an entity to fear, but here we are.

9. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I do have a facebook page. I am also on linked in. But I am a business man. That is how a lot of hoteliers communicate. I have many business contacts. I also have a large church network that uses facebook. We will put out anouncements of shooting events and stuff like that.

If someone wants to spy on me, let them come looking. They will be sorry if they find me.

10. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ok. I'm glad you feel that way. Good luck with that if the current Admin progresses their agenda. Heck, they will get you on religious extremism before they even knock. You know this to be true and an actual reality these days. :eek:

11. Jeehs

Jeehs New Member

I've also been taught never to give out info over the interweb.
    No, I do not use, Nor Plan to use any site for "social Networking". My Dad does to stay in touch with his Cousin, I use it to talk to a few friends from FL.
    Besides that, This is about the only website I use that requires interacting with other people.
    Reasons I dont use a Social Networking site-
    A- Not enough time.
    B- Think that they're stupid.
    C-Better things to do.
    D- What's the point?
    I understand using it to stay in touch, But generally people take it WAY to seriously. It's like a Frickin Soap Opera sometimes!
    And Anyone else see about the Suicides and Violence that happens due to sites like such? A bit overated much?

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

In a word, no.

13. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

Nope. Don't need 'em nor am I interested in 'em.

14. saviorslegacy

saviorslegacy New Member

I am 17 (18 in 2 months!!!!!!) and I like facebook. I spend about thirty minutes or so a day on it, more if I see an old freind that I haven't seen in a while. What I do is answer all of my PM's, see if anyone has set anything up (like a party), feed my fish (fishville), read other peoples blog and possibly write my own. All of this takes like no time at all. I personally cannot see anyone spending more than an hour on facebook......

15. deth502

deth502 New Member

im on myspace and facebook.

if you search my real name, you will find me on the internet.

but i dont use my real name on ms or fb. at least not my whole real name.

it all comes back to the first rule of the internet.

IF YOU DONT WANT SOMEONE TO KNOW SOMETHING, DONT TALK ABOUT IT!!!!!!

idc if its a private conversation between you and your mother, someone will find it.

16. Bigcountry02

Bigcountry02 Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup Supporter

No, Never, negative on those social sites!

17. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

absolutely no interest. old friends? if they were true friends I would have stayed in touch with them in the first place. no thanks to any of it. like JD said, this is about the only website that I interact with people on, and I'm barely on here!

18. Franciscomv

Franciscomv New Member

I use Facebook quite a bit, I need it for work. The Argentine government already makes my personal information available to anybody who wants to access it, so there's no real loss of privacy by using FB.

I do keep some things out of my profile page, like pictures with my girlfriend and stuff like that. I've got mostly pics from my MMA academy or public events organized by my NGO, as well as parties and such.

19. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Just for the record...I was not talking about the government. I was talking about a stalker. I have nothing to hide from the government. Some of my Facebook contacts are law enforcement.

Many people who shoot together go to church. I don't believe that is a secret. If they wanted to see who is shooting , all they have to do is go to the range. :)

20. NGIB

NGIB New Member

What he said, Skull is wise...