Do you skip cleaning your guns?

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Yunus, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Never! I clean my guns more than I clean myself

16 vote(s)
    42.1%
  2. Occasionally but not intentionally

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Often but I do clean them once in a while

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. I save money by avoiding those expensive cleaning supply costs

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Do you ever go shooting and then not clean your guns afterwards?

For the most part I'm good about cleaning same day but sometimes I do forget and get to them within the next couple days. I do have 1 or 2 guns that I rarely clean though, their only purpose is plinking and I am a lazy person.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012
  2. Commocarl

Commocarl New Member

I have, only because I had a busy day. Cleaned them the very next day though.

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

That was a fast reply, I think you posted faster than I could setup the poll :)

4. vincent

vincent New Member

When I've shot corrosive mil-surp I clean right away but I've been known to wait a day or 3 with the others...

I like to wait 'til I'm in the right frame of mind, more detail oriented. If I'm just trying to get it over with, I won't do as good of a job...

I leave the .22's alone until they start to jam up on me...

5. clem_

clem_ New Member

NOPE! after every range visit.

6. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Every once in a while I will let my 870, win 70 or my .22 ride it out. But my AR and XD are my baby's. But I do need to start cleaning them more. I thank I'm going to invest in a dehumidifier for the gun safe next time I'm home.

7. sdiver35

sdiver35 New Member

Most times it's a full cleaning right after a range trip, at most a day or two after if life gets in the way. With that said it is a thorough, q-tip cleaning every time!

8. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

I've only missed it once when I went to the range. Same day I had to head back to the river. Only shot 100 rounds through two .22's and 50 through a .45.

9. KeysKelly

KeysKelly New Member

My guns are cleaned after every range trip whether I shoot 1 round or 500. My carry guns get cleaned and oiled every two weeks even if I don't touch them.

10. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Our 1911's that we shoot in USPSA competition: Quick clean and lube before
    local matches. Top end strip down and clean every three months or so.
    Complete detail strip and clean twice a year.

Practice and match together they run around 800 rds per month per gun.
    "Dirty gun" related malfunctions in the past 5 years---zero.

11. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

My carry guns I ALWAYS clean immediately. My rifles, though, especially my 22's, I don't always clean them after a range trip. No need, really, if I just fired 20-100 rounds or whatever. If I shot a brick that day, I think I'd be sure to clean 'em.

12. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I never skip while cleanig my guns! You can put an eye out that way!:p Sorry, couldn't resist.....

My dad (a 22 year Marine) always told me, "Son, one day that weapon may be the only thing standing between you and an early death. Take care of it, and it will take care of you." I listened when he said that, and as a result every time I go to the range or I am hunting in less than perfect weather, the gun I use gets a thorough cleaning when I get home. My carry weapons get cleaned and inspected once a week wether I shoot them or not. Murphy's Law: "Whatever can go wrong will at the worst possible time." Keep the things that you can control under your control.

13. okdonk

okdonk New Member

I try not to skip cleaning it on the same day unless i'm really busy. But for sure, damn sure, all my guns are cleaned before next session.

14. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I clean my guns even when they are clean.

15. dks7895

dks7895 New Member

I selected "Often but I do clean them once in a while" and here's why....

I am lucky enough to have a range in my backyard. I shoot my guns frequently, but not like shooters that have to make a trip to the range. Range shooters tend to go through 100s of rounds in a session. I will shoot a mag or cylinder and put it up. After awhile I'll give it a good cleaning. I mostly shoot rimfires do to cost. I will run them until they start to misfeed. Then I blast them with brake cleaner, compressed air, a few passes with a bore snake, and a wipe down with break free clp.

16. Badshot320

Badshot320 New Member

I hardly ever clean the barrels of my .22s, I never clean my shotgun slug barrels. I wipe them down with Kroil or Rem Oil everytime. Now rifles and pistol barrels I clean alot more depending on how many rounds I ran threw them. If its a new barrel I will clean them every 3 - 5 rounds for the first 30 or so to keep an eye on copper fouling, soon as it stops fouling its on!

Badshot

17. billt

billt New Member

When I plan on shooting, I also plan on giving myself enough time afterward to clean and lubricate them. To me it's all part of it. About the only exception is when I would shoot Trap on Saturday, then Sporting clays on Sunday. I would then just relube everything after I finished shooting Saturday, then completely clean after Sundays shooting.

18. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I clean after every range trip.

19. clickbangj

clickbangj New Member

On my Ruger 10 22 I clean the barrel after each use. I clean the slid/bolt every other trip to the range. I disassemble and clean the trigger every 4 trips. CCI mini mags fire very clean. I don't like feeling that gritty feeling when pulling the bolt back.

20. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

My guns never go back in the safe without being cleaned if they've had even a single shot. If not, they at least get a good rub down.