Do You Shop For Price Or Service ?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by JW357, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Lower Price, regardless of quality of service

23.1%
  2. Better service, even with higher price

76.9%
  1. JW357

JW357 New Member

Just curious. This has been talked about by some people in various threads. I'm curious what the overall consensus is.

Do you prefer to go to LGS' which have a slightly lower price, or LGS' which give superior service and have a good attitude?

Me, personally, I only have two gun stores here locally, and one isn't even really a gun store. His main business is gunsmithing, but he sells some used guns. He gives great service and has terriffic prices, so he's the best of both worlds.

But I often have to go to the other store. They have moderate prices, but give pretty decent service. They are a pretty middle of the road store.

Generally, if I had more of a choice, I would prefer to give my money to those who give good service, mostly on principal.

2. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

You know if you change a few words in the paragraph, we could have a very interesting converstion. For example, change LGS to brothel. :p

3. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

I'd prefer lower prices and good service but that isn't an option I'll settle for #2, I like being treated like a human as opposed to being treated like money with two legs.

4. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

LOL! Bad timing on your post.:p

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I take my work auto to the dealer for maintenance.

My normal garage was having trouble getting to the oil drain plug (complete under side has shields.)

Sure it costs more, but I know the work is done correctly.

6. DFlynt

DFlynt New Member

My life story, a day late and a dollar short...:D

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i have the benefit of both pretty much at my LGS. good prices and excellent service. sells below MSRP on most of the firearms. ammo costs are pretty much close to WalMart. very good selection of items in the store.

even if i went to WalMart or Gander Mountain, i still can't the same level of service i get at my LGS. i would rather spend just a little more for personalized service and a friendly environment where i felt my business was appreciated.

8. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Frankonia's merchandise is very expensive as their service. Still, my life is worth it. I only get the best. Still, 10 percent credit back for each purchase. Lifetime warranty. Expert gunsmiths. My gunsmith went to a Austrian gunsmith trade school. Some of the best on the planet. They will go out of their way to locate something if not in their inventory.

9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

another point is, sometimes good service costs a little more, and IMO, many times is worth it. i find the level of service sometimes is lacking in the big chain stores. many times going to Gander Mountain, i feel rushed and herded into making a purchase. i don't like being rushed into a purchase when it comes to guns or trucks. many times i have already done my research before ever entering the store, but many times still want to look around and weigh my options on what i want to buy. at my LGS, this is not a problem and i am never rushed into a purchase. the owner of my LGS is pretty knowledgeable and may point out something that is more suited for my needs as well, but never pushes it upon me.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

I have limited options. I prefer to shop for firearms online and buy at or through a local pawn&gun shop. He provides good information and assistance and has reasonable prices, BUT his selection in the store is limited.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought "price shop on sundries, spring for top-notch service with hookers".

11. FrontierTCB

FrontierTCB Active Member

I prefer to spend my cash at a privately owned LGS rather than a big chain for obvious reasons.

That being said I'm a cheap SOB so I buy where I can get the best deal. By the time I'm ready to purchase I've already done my research and know what I want 95% of the time. I don't need or enjoy being shown features or up-sold on a product. No matter if the guy is very knowledgeable with years of experience or a kid that is just filling in and usually works the fishing dept.

I'm the same way with vehicles now that i think about it. Bought a truck last year. I knew from the website the dealer had the one I wanted (after months of research) . I pulled in found the truck tracked down a salesman and started negotiations LOL.

12. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

It took me a minute to decide! Kept looking for the 3rd choice,

3- Good Service and Good Price,

Thats my requirement generally! I expect that all businesses will provide a decent quality of service no matter what the price is. Given that, I look for a reasonable price to go along with reasonable services rendered. If the service is not acceptable, I will vote with my feet and find someone who will give both! The internet will generally link you to both even if you cant find it locally. Sadly, local isnt always best either even though it should be!

13. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

I search for Reasonable prices, Competent Abilities, Knowledge of Craft, and a personable owners/employees.... Those that fit this; get my business.

14. JW357

JW357 New Member

Well that's pretty much ideal, isn't it?

Its unfortunate that it isn't always the case.

15. tomgodd

tomgodd Active Member

Both are very important to me, but service wins. I have been at stores many times and walked away because the person I was talking to was arrogant or annoyed.

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

I'd like a combo of both service and price but one reason I d a lot of my shopping local is the personalized service I get. I'll pay a few extra bucks to a place that knows who I am and actually is glad for my patronage.

Now I do shop online some and you really don't get service there so to speak. I tend to when feeling a need to Walmart shop use their web site. But that has more ot do with the I"m not real social and crowds bother me.
    Though truth be told I've been using Wayfair more than Walmart for that kind of shopping as they seem to be more focuses on service.

But I do try to keep my money in the local economy as much as I can.

17. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Considering I live within 30 minutes of 20+ gun stores of various sizes I look for price. Competition is good here so they have to take care of you or they will go out of business. Buds, Dick's, Sportmans whorehouse, Gilberts guns, Semper Fi, Antique and modern firearms, Evans Firearms and Archery, Mikes guns, Johns pawn and guns, Classic Arms and Archery, Centerfire systems, Shooters Connection and many, many more, make KY the best gun state in the nation.
    Kentucky Gun Co. is an hour away. Plus Louisville has some great shops within and hour. So I would say price price is the best if you throw in Bass Pro in Louisville and Cincinnati. Total would be 50 gun shops within 1 1/2 hrs of me. Life is good here if you like guns. Of course I left out some gun shops in towns I go to on weekends to fish. That would push it to 60 or better. We have an amazing lack of gun laws here and everybody loves guns. Then we are stupid hillbilly's. I'll take being a hillbilly over the wine drinking idiots any day. At least we are free.

18. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

To put it simply, it depends on the price and it depends on the service. I'm willing to pay a little more for really good service, but am willing to put up with some mediocre service if the price is right.

I try to find places that have both good prices and good service.

19. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I tend to go with low price. The more you know before you buy the less you need service. So why pay for it.

20. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

Fortunately all of my local gun stores offer great customer service. That being said we shop mostly by who has the best prices. Wife and I frequent about 5 stores but check in with all the others every few months just to check pricing. The store closest to our house is the smallest gun shop around and has the absolute best prices on guns. Beats every other store by quite a bit. And they have awesome service. Another gun store near us advertises the best prices in town but they are about $40-60 per gun higher than our local place. The most popular gun store near here is at least $100 more per gun more than what it should be. Lesson learned... buyer beware.