Do you remember?......

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by jps37033, Nov 19, 2009.

1. jps37033

jps37033 New Member

I want to bring back some age old traditions that are no longer in place because we have offended some person that had a politician freind that should have never been here in the first place.

I want to start with the "Pledge of Allegiance"

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I remember doing that every day in school. It was part of our every day life of chasing girls, and being American. I miss it, and I am irate at the fact that my son will not experience it (though we live in the country, and our schools are still very conservative/republican).

It absolutely makes me want to puke at the fact that we can no longer say that in schools because we might offend someone that more than likely will bomb a building or two (or shoot our troops at home on their own base).

What tradition do you remember doing in school, work, at home, or etc; that is no longer in place.......

And I am only 28 years old, so I know ya'll can pipe up!

2. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Well I can't speak for anybody else but I could care less what others think of the traditions that I beleive in and practice. If someone around me is offended they are free to leave my sight/vicinity. ;)

As for traditions we grew up with. I was just at a Rangers/Capitals game on Tuesday night and was appalled at many of the people around me during the National Anthem. I beleive it is disrespectful to speak or continue to wear a cap during the song. I made everyone within ear shot well aware of my disgust. :D

3. jps37033

jps37033 New Member

Good one!

I remember the national anthem at gatherings. Thats why I love a local Nascar Race!!! The last true american sport!

I take my hat off at home on the couch when I see it on TV.

4. jps37033

jps37033 New Member

I got another good one.....

Am I the only person left that still pulls to the side of the road for the entire length, and not a minute less, with my hat off, when a Funeral passes?

The only thing I can think of the people flying by is "Are you actually in That much of a hurry"?

5. WDB

WDB New Member

I remember when trolls where shot on site. I think that was a dream or change rattling in my pocket.

6. jps37033

jps37033 New Member

:confused:

7. zhuk

zhuk New Member

I'm old enough to remember when "God Save the Queen" was our official national anthem, and used to be sung at school on Anzac Day/Australia Day...not that I'm seeking to revive that particular tradition :p

Now updated to "Advance Australia Fair"... which any self-respecting aussie only knows the first verse of anyway lol

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The fight at the end of the school day for your pair of goulashes.

And idiot mittens.

9. suprdave

suprdave New Member

The school I went to would not count absences during deer season. Nowadays there are too many yuppies around for that to happen... My kids suffer because of that...:mad:

10. gunpower

gunpower New Member

I remember the news having actual news about our country, and not about celebrities.

11. michigan0626

michigan0626 New Member

I remember when it was "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays."

Im only 25 and non-religious, but I miss it. Its American, a tradition. It gives me a sense of happiness.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  12. orangello

orangello New Member

I remember the proper procedure for checking your hunting rifle into the Headmaster's office during hunting season (bolt open, unloaded, before school, etc.).

I also remember the designated smoking/dipping area outside the cafeteria. Strangely, the same bunch of goofballs never objected to the Pledge of Allegiance. :rolleyes:

13. lonyaeger

lonyaeger Active Member

Listening to the World Series, with a transistor radio stuck to your ear....didn't matter who was playing, it was the World Series.

14. User Name

User Name New Member

I cant beleive this was not posted yet.

I remeber 09-11-2001!!!!

15. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I remember getting dressed up and riding into town with my brothers in the freezing-*** cold to stand in line outside of the bank to tell Santa what I wanted for Christmas and getting an orange. These days, we call it "Obama-Care".

16. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

I must be really old!

I can remember when being honest and telling the straight truth was the expected norm in society (as opposed to all of the PC BS that prevades life now-a-days)!

I can also remember when if you did not have a job (intentionally), and lived off of hand-outs from others.......you were called a "bum".

17. AcidFlashGordon

AcidFlashGordon New Member

I remember that in junior high and high school, if you acted up, i.e. misbehaved, you were sent to the Vice Principal's office for swats. In elementary school the teacher just took you to her desk and paddled your *** right there. If you weren't that bad, they just stuck you in the corner...facing the wall...for a while.

I remember in high school, that getting detention was a "bad" thing, not something to brag about.

I remember if you didn't do your schoolwork and failed, you repeated that same grade the next year. That was the ultimate insult and was really something you didn't want to happen.

If you weren't good enough to be on the team, you didn't get on the team. Didn't matter if you were disappointed...you weren't good enough and you tried harder next time.

I remember the hoohaa about the "under God" added to the Pledge of Allegiance. Added in 1954, it was never disputed until the left-wing a**holes started whining about the separation of church and state.

18. zhuk

zhuk New Member

Hey well said man^^

I also remember kids used to get the cane for misbehaviour when I was in primary school...our head teacher had a wooden glass-fronted cabinet with varying lengths of cane prominently displayed for intimidating effect every time you went into her office lol. But nowdays criminal charges would apply to the principal if they used one. Think it had a deterrent effect on pretty much most kids except the really hard cases - but then nothing likely would have stopped them anyway.

Probably the ones starting out their long road to eventual jail time etc as adults :rolleyes:

19. jsr104

jsr104 New Member

I remember in my (private) elementary and middle school that we had assembly with the whole school Monday-Wednesday-Friday. Every single time, we started by saying the Pledge of Alleigiance, then singing 'My Country, Tis of Thee.' By my 8th grade year, after a sucession of awful (read, liberal apologists) headmasters, we didn't anymore. At my high school, kids hardly even know the National Anthem, Pledge, or anything like that... I'm 17, and even I remember back that far. :(

20. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I remember when my undiagnosed ADD was re-diagnosed as AWD (*** Whippin Deficient) by the assistant principal in 8th grade. Diagnosis, treatment and cure were taken care of in one 5 minute session.

I remember holding the door for ladies and anyone older than myself, oh wait, that was this morning. I still get a charge out of the unrepentant feminazis not saying thank you and being reminded by a not so subtle "your welcome". Oh wait, that too was this morning.

I remember Saturday morning cartoons that did not have an underlying save the environment agenda and were just for entertainment value. I also remember Schoolhouse Rock. Someone recently asked me what the first line in the Constitution was and I sang the entire Preamble. You know "We the people, in order form a more perfect union, establish justice and insure domestic tranquility..."

I remember molded plastic army men in green and little NAZI soldiers in gray. I remember them all becoming good BB gun targets a few years later. I remember learning that rubber dodge balls are very inappropriate targets for you recurve bow with field tip arrows and the intense pain when one bounced back and hit me in the chin. I have a scar that reminds me to not be stupid every day when I shave.

I remember eating dinner at the table with the entire family. If you were late, you did not eat. There was no such thing as leftovers. A family of 5 including 3 sons will pack away some groceries. When dad whistled (you could hear if 5 blocks away) you hauled *** home or went hungry.