Do you put your Firearm under Lock&Key in your Vehicle?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by sausn2002, Dec 3, 2009.

1. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Hi, everyone. This is a good topic to discuss regarding Concealed Carry, and one that might vary depending on your state and/or local laws.

Do you lock your firearm up in your vehicle? If so, how do you do that (what equipment do you use to do this?). If you don't put your firearm under lock&key within your car, where do you store the firearm inside your car/vehicle?

I personally use a Pistol Bag that I put a lock on within my car (it's fairly inexpensive, doesn't shift around too much within the car, and isn't bulky). I also often put the pistol bag out of view under the passenger side seat (I can reach over that way by simply putting my arm behind the seat, and without shifting my body position)(yes...I know that this is a common spot that a criminal would look for stuff at). If I'm driving my car/are in my car, I have it on my Passenger side seat, sometimes unzipped a little for easier access in the case of me having to defend myself lawfully (this is kind of iffy, because I assume in most states, it's illegal to shoot out of a car <If anyone has insight and/or real world experience with this, you can throw those opinions on here too).

2. Jess

Jess New Member

lock it up while i'm driving? nope
    when i leave it in the vehicle? depends on which one it is. my awesome minivan has a lock box under the front passenger seat. In my truck the glove box locks so I can lock it in there. In MI we are allowed to leave our loaded weapon in the vehicle as long as we lock the doors. I'm pretty sure this aspect of the law varies state to state.

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

As usual Los Angeles sucks most of all. We have to have the gun unloaded and locked away from the driver. The ammunition also has to be locked away from the driver and away from the weapon. . This means no glove box. You also have to have a legitimate reason for having it in the car, i.e. going to or from the range. and you’re not allowed to be making any other stops on the way. Since my car has no trunk I have a three compartment range bag. I can lock the guns in the main compartment, and the ammo in the side compartments. Then I put the bag as far in the back as possible, so I can’t reach it while driving.

4. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

Well, I think California has the worst Firearms laws of them all. In Virginia there is virtually no law that specifies how to have your gun in the car. I could have one loaded in the chamber, and sitting on my passenger seat in the open. No one is stupid enough to do that. Well, I personally have it at least in a holster while I'm in the car, and then because I don't want any theft to happen to me, I will at least put it out of sight before I leave the car (and I usually lock it in a pistol bag I have, then I put that under the passenger seat; and of course I always like my car up as I'm getting out of my seat).

5. Kage0113

Kage0113 New Member

In Wyoming you can carry loaded or unloaded anywhere in your vehicle as long as it is not concealed on your persons (on you).

6. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

In Virginia, you can do that, and also you can keep it concealed on your person.

7. MB44

MB44 New Member

It's the same down here in Chile. You can't have the gun loaded with ammo. And you have to have a transport permit for the gun, which you only can get if you are are member of a gun-club, with the purpose of transporting the gun to the gunclub or to a competition. But I keep mine loaded anyhow. While driving, I usually put it in the sidepocket of my combat pants, or leave it in the holster at 3 o'clock. I never leave the gun in the car, I always take it with me, due to the high risk of the car getting stolen. I just can't imagine the bureaucratic hell I would have go through to report the gun stolen. As for CCW permit - I tried, not possible. I was informed that they only had issued 7 permit in the whole of Chile in 2009....:mad: But I still carry.....

8. ccr203

ccr203 New Member

Again as stated, it varies state to state, or country for that matter.

I have a secure lock box in my vehicles for when I have to leave my weapon in the vehicle. It is secured to the vehicle and out of sight. I am not required to do this, but gives me some piece of mind that I have made an effort to secure it. Thieves love finding loose firearms in vehicles. If I am driving, I carry the weapon on my person, as that is the best place to have it. California laws are absolutely horrible and I pity all gun owners in that state! :(

I suggest if you are going to leave a weapon in a vehicle, secure it as best you can, preferred would be locked in a secured gun lock box. They are around $40.00 and a good investment.

Stay safe,

Chris

9. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

If you don't have a CWP in Virginia, the only way you CAN carry a loaded weapon in a car is in plain sight. "Back-in-the-day", it wasn't uncommon to see handguns on dashboards.

10. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

I remember hearing about the dashboard thing. Does not seem very good to do that at all.

11. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

In NJ all firearms must be secured out of reach of the driver. Since no one but retired LEO get CCW anything else is out of the question. In NJ, adding insult to injury, open carry is considered concealed carry as is carrying in a vehicle. So the short of it is, if it's in the car it needs to be locked up, separate from the ammo; in other words a paperweight.

12. N.D.

N.D. New Member

I have a CPL which is the only legal way for a reg. citizen to legally transport a loaded firearm in a pass. veh. in Mi. at least as far as I know unless we get into the open carry subject which I'm not all that up on.
    But anywhoo . . If I cant find a way around leaving my weapon behind, I use a steel lock box. $40.00 and "I really mean it when I say I try to avoid it"!

13. Franchise

Franchise New Member

I live in Arkansas and have a CCL. I cary mine in a console that I bought for cds and stuff. It is in the floorboard right under the stereo. It rides with the barrel down and grip up in the holster. I can reach it while driving. I keep a ball cap over it so its not in plain sight but it is in reach.

14. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I think it cut down on Road Rage a good bit. Then again, there used to be a roller coaster on Ocean View, Mount Trashmore was a dump, and the Peppermint Beach Club was really on the beach!

15. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

When in my car i keep it in the glove box. If i get out of the car and leave it in their say, to go into some banks or GOV office or what not i just leave it in my glove box buried under a mountian of boring papers im sure a thief wouldnt waste their time digging though and just lock my doors of course, my glovebox dont lock so im kinda screwed their. i live in WA and have a CCW so 99% of the time i just take it outa the car. last year i was out in the mountains and came home for a few hours and was going to leave agin so i was about to leave my glock in the glove box of my civic while i went inside to shower, came back outside and my car was gone so its a good thing i took it inside with me to change from FMJ to hollow points,how ever i did leave my wallet in the car with my CC permit in it and about a month later the smart ass kids parrents found it and mailed it back to me with a return address of their house which turned out to be his chop shop.:D

16. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

That is an awesome story! I bet you got them! :cool:

17. Glock30Owner

Glock30Owner New Member

I keep my gun on my hip (in a holster) while driving. I keep it on my hip when I get out of the car, too.

18. sausn2002

sausn2002 New Member

And a .45 Cal too. Good choice.

19. RED

RED New Member

Never carry your gun on the seat

In MO you can legally carry a locked and loaded pistol any where in the car. personally, I would never carry mine laying loose anywhere, on the seat, dashboard, floor, ...anywhere. In case of a crash, there is no telling where it might wind up. I have a thumb break holster zip tied in my Caravan to the side of the driver's seat. Normally I will remove the pistol it and put it in my IWB holster if I leave the car. If that is not possible, then I lock it in the glove box.

Eventually I will by one of those little metal boxes that comes with a steel cable that locks it to the seat frame. Not that this will any way reduce the possibility of theft but if the bad guy steals my gun and uses it, then it MAY lessen my legal liabilities when I get sued.

"It doesn't have to make sense, it is just the law." K. Jamison

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  20. fprefect

fprefect New Member

Locked personal defense weapon

If your situation dictates that your personal defense firearm be locked and or unloaded,(such as the case where children could possibly gain access) it's usefulness becomes so severely compromised that your chances of being shot by an intruder will probably actually increase. IMO, an intruder with a gun is far more likely to use it if he feels threatened by seeing his "victim" attempted to load or unlock their weapon that their chances of being killed or injured actually increase by brandishing an unload weapon.

The laws in my state are rather vague regarding carrying a loaded weapon in a car, unconcealed. Under state law it is legal but with a provision that allows individual counties or communities to override the state law! So it kind of depends upon where you happen to be driving at the time. I've carried a loaded handgun in my vehicle for nearly 30 years (semi-unconcealed ;-) and of course unlocked and plan to continue. In my home, the same. I have not come close to ever needing to use the weapons in either location, but enough people have, that I have concluded it is the most prudent course of action to take.

F. Prefect