Do you prefer the rifles of today or of yesteryear?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by 7mmstw, Mar 12, 2012.

1. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Call me crazy but I'm kind of partial to older rifles. I own quite a few from the 40's to the late 60's and just adore them. Actions seem so much smoother(not because of being over or well used) , the stocks have a warmth and feel to them unlike the guns of today. It just seems like when they were made the craftsmen cared more. Just my 2 cents

2. theropinfool

theropinfool New Member

I hear ya. I'm only 28, but, my 2 favorite are older than me. Got a Ithaca 25-06 built in 70 and a model 70 30-06 built in 1957. Both shoot sub moa. The lines are beautiful and the actions are silky smooth. I wish I could have lived before rifles had to be "politically correct" with short actions and composite stocks and performance robbing "lite" rifle features. I don't trust plastic. I want blued chrom-moly steel and walnut stock. Carbon barrels and composite stocks can kiss my &$@.

3. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

I love all guns but the pre 64's an the old,94's just have that feel to them. I guess its the history behind them ,where they have been, the game they have taken, I sure love lookin at them an thinking about that stuff

4. bigdaddy573

bigdaddy573 New Member

I would take my 1984 Belgium made browning bar 30-06 over a new one any day and the same with my grandpas old model 70 in 308 he passed down to me

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH ;)

5. cottontop

cottontop Guest

I'm old and I prefer the older guns, though many of them are out of sight price wise. As a result, I have some modern ones mixed in with my older ones. One example is my Remington model 722 in .244 Remington w/ the 1 in 12 inch rifling twist. A true classic.
    cottontop

6. big_blue79

big_blue79 New Member

Yesteryear, especially Milsurp guns like Enfields, I like any old gun with a history to it.

7. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

Very nice! Something to be proud of

8. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

I like the way you think Sir

9. 30-30remchester

30-30remchester New Member

Have spent 45 years collecting, researching, and shooting guns built before 1960. So one vote for early guns. I dont shoot plastic guns.

10. orangello

orangello New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm gonna have to go with the yesteryears rifles.

11. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Lets see, I have a few. 90% are older then I am. I'll be 50 this year. Don't get me wrong, the 2 newer bolt rifles I own are incredable peices of machinery. I also like Semi autos, which are newer military types. For pure shooting, fit, finish, anything before 1962. My oldest, modern cartridge bolt gun is from 1907.

12. Silvertip 44

Silvertip 44 New Member

Frankly, I like them all. I have my Garands, M1As, M1903s, Savage 99, Win 94, Marlin .444, old and new .22s and various others. Then there are the newer ones such as my M700 SS Milspec 5Rs, .22 match rifle and handguns, .45s, .44s, and .22s. Shucks, I just like em all. I don't believe there is a gun that I wouldnt like.
    I do plan to hunt a good bit this fall with one of my WWII Garands. I would like to take one deer with an old warhorse before I get too old to hunt.

13. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

I like them all as well but when I want to place multiple accurate shots in quick succession nothing beats my Daniel Defense, LWRC or BCMs. Two of them have lightweight profile barrels one w/ a stainless barrel and one a medium contour barrel.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I may be old but I am not living in days gone bye. Yes there are some beautiful old guns out there but there are still some good ones being made today. I noticed:rolleyes:that everyone on this forum is using a computer. I have a couple of CZ rifles that are as good as any of the old rifles and while the walnut stocks are nice to look at and feel the laminate and synthetics are more stable. I had to sell my "old" rifles so I moved on. I dont mind the "plastics" and I dont mind the "plastic hand guns either. There are some fantastic firearms being produced today and I for one will take advantage of them.

15. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I like the older guns. There is just something so special about the old lever guns like the Win 94. This will always be my favorite rifle

16. JonM

JonM Moderator

my 1903A3 springfield made by remington is just smooth as buttered silk. the workmanship on even mass cranked out guns like the m1 garand and m1 carbine are still better made than most of the modern stuff.

hells ill take a mosin 91/30 over any remington rifle and most of the stuff winchester is producing currently

17. 7mmstw

7mmstw New Member

I would not own a new remington, try one of their bolts, terrible. Look in any gun rag and they have 3-5 product recall notices. A Winchester now is a FN, I do like FN but let's call a spade a spade. And in turn their superX rifle is a FN AR is a browning short track. A bushmaster is a Remington R15. A bps is an Ithaca. It goes on and on. Yet the quality and asthetics are nothing compared to 40+ years ago.

18. RaySendero

RaySendero Member

They say a pic is...Well y'all know the rest.

M95 Mauser (1895)
    Sporterized some where in mid-life but still with the original barrel chambered for 7x57:
    [​IMG]

And a 1941 M70 Winchester that still shoots like this:
    [​IMG]

and looks like this:
    [​IMG]

My son and I are still trying to wear them out.
    If we can't, then we'll leave it to grandkids.

If they can succeed - They can buy the plastic stock rifles w/ the SS barrels!

19. The_Kid

The_Kid New Member

I like all my rifles, half of them are older than I am. But if I was going to be in a SHTF situation, I'd rather have a rifle of today.
    M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle

But for regular old target shooting, I have a lot of enjoyment shooting my US Remington Model 1903.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYc5AV-GAc4"]Springfield 03[/ame]

20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Pre-1970 is yesteryear, eh? LOL