Do you prefer a safety on your gun or not

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by akm47nagiont, Jan 15, 2014.

1. akm47nagiont

akm47nagiont New Member

A friend of mine said something that made me think.
    what he said was. he thinks the only reason people prefer a safety on there firearms was because the person who trained them preferred a safety.

Anyways I'm just curious do you prefer a safety on your firearms. why/why not?.

I personally do like to have a external safety because I like light trigger pulls off around 3 pounds and with very little length of pull

2. saputoarms

saputoarms New Member

My preference is no. That's why my CCW is a revolver. That said, I like it on my 1911 pistols since I was trained to use it on my 1911s. If I had a DA pistol that had a safety, I'd probably never use it.

3. austin92

austin92 New Member

I had zero training when I bought my first handgun. It went from a target pistol to a carry piece and it had no safety. For something that I would carry in an owb or iwb holster covering the trigger and being DAO I like not having a safety. One less step. My bodyguard goes n the front right pocket, chambered, safety on. A 1911 should be carried condition one and a 226 should b carried hammer down while I have no issue carrying my m&p chambered with no safety. IMHO it 110% depends on the gun, holster, and experience carrying

4. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Im a lefty with slugs and a righty with scatterguns. Safes have been created for the masses not the exceptions to the norm. I like a safety on my weapon but treat them all like they dont have one. Even my namesake, WF38 was designed with a safety but it was removed and tossed away by my dad in the 50's cause he was a lefty also, it was in the way of a natural grip! I do believe its most important to train newbies that the finger is the greatest possible cause of accidents, not the safety or trigger, keep your damn finger away from the trigger unless your ready to squeeze one off! .

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I was trained on the 1911 before a lot of our people were a glint in their daddy's eyes.

Now when I pick up any semi-auto, I look for a safety (even Glock has a form of safety).

I know I should not rely on a mechanical device for safety purposes (in firearms), I still have this peace of mind that there is something in additional to my brain.

DA Revolvers of today also have a form of safety with firing blocks that do not allow the hammer to hit the primer unintended.

And I still load SA revolvers to have the hammer rest on an empty chamber.

Do I like safeties? Not those where a key is needed to activate of defeat it. Others, yeah.

6. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer a manual safety but I

7. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Sorry,, hit the wrong key,, I prefer a manual safety but own DAO pistols and feel comfortable with them,,, the most important safety is the person using the firearm.

8. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Safety first is literal and figurative. The person holding the gun is the ultimate and first safety. The weapon may be judged defective but the human behind it will always be the one that does the hard time in jail or their mind.

9. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

My P226 has no safety. I feel comfortable with it.
    My USP has a decocker/safety. I never used the safety.

So, I prefer no safety.

10. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I prefer to have an external safety. I grew up hunting and I am used to having to flick off a safety prior to shooting.

11. Donn

Donn Active Member

Yeah, me too. This is a well worn path. My $0.02, carry what you're comfortable with and get proficient with it.

12. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

Oh, for longguns I use a safety until needed. It is actually expected on our hunts. This includes semi-autos, shotguns and bolt action.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Depends on the gun.

14. G30USMC

G30USMC Well-Known Member Supporter

Preference.... No safety, only safety I need is between my ears

15. cotex

cotex New Member

My finger control his safe enough.

16. Doc3402

Doc3402 New Member

My safety on a 1911 is a quality thumb break holster with the strap under the hammer and leather covering the trigger. I trained with a revolver and I carried a revolver for many years. I have this fear in the back of my mind that if I ever need to use my 1911 I will forget the safety due to my past experience with revolvers. Yeah, I know it may seem irrational to some of you, but that's the way I feel about it. Nothing else I own has a manual safety.

17. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

It depends entirely on the trigger. Short and light? Yes. Long and heavy? No.

18. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I learned to handle a firearm in the same manner. Flipping the safety to fire is something I do without a thought when I raise my gun. Handguns are different. I prefer a handgun without a safety. That is why I never cared about 1911's or any SA only pistol. If some guy has me down trying to cave my face in the last thing I need is a safety.

19. therewolf

therewolf New Member

First of OP, not to parse terms too tightly, but "length of pull"

doesn't mean what you think it does. It has more to do with

stock length on rifles.

OTOH, as far as the topic, my training was USN, learned on

a Colt 1911, and I prefer safeties.

They don't take a lot to get used to, but IMHO, manual external

safeties have saved a lot of people from the worst enemy many

people have; themselves.

20. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member