Do you live in a dangerous city?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Ranger-6, May 16, 2012.

1. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

The 5 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S.
    FBI data suggests that these destinations struggle with safety — but hope is on the rise

1. Flint, Michigan
    2. Detroit, Michigan
    3. St. Louis, Missouri
    4. New Haven, Connecticut
    5. Memphis, Tennessee

Even though economic woes are up, crime (particularly violent crime) is down in the United States, and it’s been trending downward for the last five years.

http://www.aarp.org/travel/destinations/info-02-2012/five-most-dangerous-cities.1.html

2. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

I'm in Memphis

---Shoot To Thrill---

3. orangello

orangello New Member

I LOVED living in midtown Memphis, TN for about a decade (mostly at Clark Place & Poplar, down near Cleveland, then over by UofM).

4. 01hugo

01hugo New Member

I'm from the big bad #1! Flint, MI. Once I grew up and realized there's nothing cool about that, I got my butt out of there.

BANG

5. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Been lost in the wrong part of Memphis before. Never again will that happen.

6. 2ndAmendmentFreedom

2ndAmendmentFreedom New Member

Glad you're not one of those who think it's cool and manly to live in a ****ty place. I'm from Chicago and I live in a mostly safe neighborhood, stuff happens a few blocks from where I live though once in a while (drugs, hostage situations etc). I feel pretty safe and my house is well guarded, I wish I could carry though. When I walk at night by myself I always tell myself that I'd feel really stupid if I got jumped (having guns at home but not on me).

7. Fathead00

Fathead00 New Member

I live by Gary, Indiana!!! You talk about a s**t hole!!:(

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

How in the hell is Camden,NJ not on that list?

9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

10. fmj

fmj Active Member

How in the hell did Chitcago and i second the Chitcago suburb of Gary not make this list...i can see flint!

11. Jstrong

Jstrong New Member

Yup

if your lost in memphis and the streets are starting to be named after states,turn back. That probably one of the worst parts of town. Where did you get lost at?

Thankfully when I was younger and first started driving and exploring this city I had enough intuition and situational awareness to know to NOT to yield to pedestrians in the street in certain parts of town and to keep my door locked and windows at least halfway rolled up even in the summer. I also have always tried to make hard eye contact with any shady characters and hold their gaze for a couple seconds before looking away,that and walking straight up,head up,good posture,and walk with meaning and assertiveness. The key is to not LOOK like someone who is scared or feels out of place and not be seen as a potential victim. It's always worked for me,My First line of defense when in bad parts of Memphis is my appearance and deamenor, (looking like a stout white boy who ain't gonna let you take his wallet without making you earn every last dollar in it first) and since im not 21 yet ny last line of defense is having to prove it. Thankfully I haven't yet.

---Shoot To Thrill---

12. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member

Guy in Flint on a local forum had a gun brandished at him, by his story for no reason at all. He called 911, and they had no one available to respond. Called him several hours later to ask if he still needed an officer to respond.

13. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Yep, Baltimore, MD, 8th on the list and am packin' - Bring it.

14. 94browninghunt

94browninghunt New Member

Lived in chi city for a few months...have seen enough crap :)

15. Zombiegirl

Zombiegirl New Member

Hey Mister! It's better than living by snooty ritzy neighbors. Plus, our love will keep us safe. I love our house. ;)

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Don't know what to say- I feel SO left out. I have to admit, I live in a rural county, with one zip code for the whole county. 4 stoplights, no Starbucks, no 7-11s. One high school with a damned good football team, an active ROTC program, and kids that take their date to the prom in a pickup truck.

Roughly half of the adult population owns a gun, a quarter have a permit to carry concealed. We DID have a murder last year- drug deal. He is in prison now. Rifle/shotgun rack in a truck is standard equipment. People pick up hitchhikers (well, they pick up Butch. Everyone knows Butch- no drivers license. Give him a lift- he's going to Bobby's for lunch)

Just walked out on the back deck- warm evening. Can smell the honeysuckle and the lilacs. Know what I could hear? Other than the frogs down at the pond, and a whipoorwill- NOTHING.

:D

17. primer1

primer1 Well-Known Member Supporter

I would rather be in a nursing home than in a bad part of a city. My rural area has 8-10 houses per mile, lots of loud trucks, tractors going to prom and homecoming, deer, turkeys, and regular echoes of gunfire on weekends. That's how it should be- redneck paradise. :D

18. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

New Haven Ct ... seriously? :rolleyes: Just about any city near a college campus or military base has high crime statistically

as bad as these cities are I doubt they can hold a candle when compared to 1970' Bronx NY :cool: Anybody remember when entire blocks were left to burn? or entire blocks were avoided by the NYPD?

that's right, imagine an entire city block, burning and avoided by police at all costs :eek:

19. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Yall aint got nuthin on my lil city, we have lil green fellers runnin around bet you dont.