Do you keep a round chambered?

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by Billygoat, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Billygoat

Billygoat New Member

Is it ok to keep a round chambered in the M&P ? I'm not sure how the striker actually works. Does the trigger fully "cock" and release the mechanism or does the act of chambering a round partially "cock" it? My concern is that if it is cocked all of the time, month after month for years on end the spring(s?)will fatigue and fail.

2. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

Keeping a spring compressed will not hurt it. Compressing and decompressing is what wears out springs. If you don't keep a round in the chamber you are carrying an unloaded gun and that won't help you much.

3. G30USMC

G30USMC Active Member Supporter

Only way you should be carrying, IMHO

If you are carrying differently, your carrying a paper weight, just my .02

4. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

I did not used to because I know how long it takes me to make my weapon ready. Now, I do not leave the house without one in the chamber.

5. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

Without a round chambered a pistol makes a great paper weight to throw at someone.

6. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

I would carry it with a round in the chamber, could we please come up with something different than the predictable its a paper weight. A firearm with out a round in the chamber is still a firearm not a ( paper weight or club etc ) that needs a round to be chambered to make it fire.

7. AmPaTerry

AmPaTerry Forum Chaplain Lifetime Supporter

The IDF has quit carrying with a round chambered.
    I do carry that way, however, with my 1911.
    And my Glock 17.
    Of course my Smith .38 has EVERY chamber with a round in it.
    And my Ruger .357.
    My Ruger LCP is carried with one chambered, and in a pocket holster that covers the trigger.

Oh -
    And my Cobra .22 has one round in EACH chamber.

Well, that pretty well says it -
    Everything I own and/or carry has one in the chamber all the time.

Why did the IDF stop doing it this way?
    Maybe because they started letting girls in the IDF -
    [ducking, running for cover]

8. rjd3282

rjd3282 New Member

You're right, these plastic pistols aren't much of a paperweight and even less of a club. :D

9. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

When you have a few minutes here are a couple of articles that will give you some insight into carrying in condition 1.

link
    http://www.usacarry.com/safe-carry-round-chamber/

link2
    http://www.usacarry.com/always-carry-round-chamber/

10. Threetango

Threetango Audentes Fortuna Iuvat Supporter

About the striker fired weapon, here's a fairly simple explanation.

Striker firing seems somewhat complex, but, in fact, it involves fewer parts than the older hammer fired system. There are a couple of benefits to striker fired pistols in the area of concealed carry. Firstly, there is no external hammer, allowing for a more snag-free design. It also ensures that each trigger pull, from the first through the final round of the magazine, has the same weight of pull. Some consider the lack of external safety on striker fired guns to be an advantage in self defense situations because it allows the operator to fire upon their assailant(s) with fewer steps (no need to disengage a manual safety before firing). But, there are others who feel that it presents a safety risk to carry a pistol without external safeties. The preference for the more traditional hammer fired or the more efficient striker fired systems is still a subject of much debate.

11. microadventure

microadventure Active Member

racking the slide requires two hands, assuming you don't have a claw on the outside of your thigh. you may not have the use of both hands when you need the gun.

ergo, locked and loaded

12. wknight40

wknight40 New Member

Good explanation. I have never checked into the difference between a striker fired and a hammer fired pistol. Myself I have a SCCY CPX-2, no manual safety. It is hammer fired with an 8.5-9lb trigger pull. Right before the hammer falls the tip is only about 2mm outside the back of the pistol. Looked at the manual and if I counted the parts properly there is about 10 parts for the trigger, and hammer system. This is not counting the firing pin or the slide assy. A lot more than I was picturing in my head. Hoping to get a striker fired pistol in the near future.

As I do not have my permit yet, when I do carry I always have a round in the chamber and a spare magazine in my pocket.

13. dsrteagle357

dsrteagle357 New Member

14. Donn

Donn Active Member

And, here we go again. :beatingdeadhorse:

15. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

in the time it takes to chamber a round, could mean the difference in life or death. so yes, every gun i own that would be used for self-defense purposes is loaded and chambered.

16. bobski

bobski Well-Known Member Sponsor

if one in the chamber means ready to fire....yes. i keep 6 in my cyl! dont have to worry about rack, cocked and locked. ahhh the simplicity of a revolver. timeless function. pull the trigger and bang.

17. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

Would you keep an automobile with an empty gas tank, but two full Gerrie cans in the trunk in case you really needed to drive it???

A weapon with an unloaded chamber makes about as much sense.

If you can't safely carry a fully loaded weapon, perhaps you shouldn't carry a weapon at all.

18. Minorcan

Minorcan Member

I like Threetango's reply. It was well thought out and provided some links with convincing video documentation.

I always carry with a round chambered and recommend that to all who ask but I must admit it can be intimidating for first time carriers. Guns are much better designed today than in the past and as manufacturers learned about accidental/negligent discharges they designed safety features like firing pin blocks, DAO triggers etc. You have to do a self evaluation and decide for your self. If after your self evaluation you are not comfortable carrying a chambered round I recommend you seek training to become confident enough to do so safely.

19. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

20. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Absolutely carried with a round in the chamber! If the weapon is safe to carry that way. Referring to firing pin blocks and safeties until the trigger is pulled. Other wise also drop safe! Also a proper holster is very important! One that covers the trigger and trigger guard until the weapon is pulled and securely holds the weapon in place. First of all, I would not carry a weapon that would not comply with the above in the first place.
    To do so is gambling with a possible disaster. "Murphy is alive and well"!;)