Do you insure your firearms--if so-separately?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Musket, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Musket

Musket New Member

Does anyone here insure their firearms, and if so, is it a separate policy for scheduled items (IE--a policy just for those guns)?

If you do, what company do you use, and what did they require you to provide? (IE serial #s?).

Does anyone just note coverage on their homeowners by declaring the guns?

Good pricing and coverage?

Anyone use the NRA coverage?

Does anyone know of a good certified appraiser?

yes--I'm looking :) And no, I don;t have those 6 figure guns either hahaha.:D

2. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

It's included as part of the Home Owners Policy... I just keep serial numbers and photos in a safe place.

3. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

NRA members automatically get $1000 coverage at no charge. MOST homeowner's polcies will provide a limited dollar amount of coverage- see your policy. I have a floater above that- no SNs or listing required.

4. bkt

bkt New Member

That's what I do, too. Is it generally considered smart to provide your insurance company with photos and serial numbers?

5. Musket

Musket New Member

This is one of the reasons I ask. The NRA policy does not require serial #s(the separate personal articles floater they offer through an insurance company at discounted rates for members--not to be confused with their 1,000 coverage that comes with membership).

Now, as a matter of course, insurance companies do not release sensitive info like this to others.........however...they are subject to government intrusion. For example, if the dept of insurance asks for documents, an insurance company must provide them. It is not inconceivable that down the road (especially if we get the Obama ticket in office) that a federal agency might decide they need to have access to this info. Therefore I am not keen on providing the info--unless I actually have a claim. Photos are okay--numbers I do not feel comfortable with. Not that I have anything to hide--but history shows us that gun registration makes it awfully easy for local zealots to find and seize your firearms.

Don't believe it? Lets think Hurricane Katrina aftermath when law abiding gunowners were subject to warrantless seizure of their firearms.

But, I digress.

I am curious to know if anyone insures separately and if so, with which company??

6. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In GENERAL (your mileage may vary) an insurance company will NOT be seeking serial numbers or photos UNLESS (a) you have a loss, and are filing a claim- your policy requires you to provide PROOF that you DID own such a thing- receipts, photos, etc, or (b) You are SCHEDULING a particular gun on a floater. Normally reserved for a VERY high dollar item. Your Winchester Mdl 70 probably would not be scheduled, but a custom built Holland & Holland .600 Nitro Express WOULD be specifically insured (had a friend that owned a drilling that was documented to have been owned by the Red Baron- that kind of gun gets its own insurance policy) And remember theft is not the only hazard- fire, water damage, etc all affect guns.

I work for an insurance company, but don't sell insurance, and don't work in personal lines (homeowner's insurance, etc) Your BEST bet is to call and talk with your insurance agent. Very few insurance carriers will be seeking photos, serial numbers, etc on run-of-the-mill guns, but likely will have dollar limits on what they cover- just like there are dollar limits on jewelry. Find out what you have coverage for, and what is available- at what price.

AND- go take photos of the interior of your home- at least 2 pics of each room (opposite corners). Take pics of guns, special jewelry, etc. Get two sets of prints. AND THEN PUT THE SECOND SET OF PICTURES SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN IN YOUR HOUSE. Keep them in an envelope in your desk at work. Or send them to Mom & Dad or Junior to keep at their house (and offer to do the same for them) In 1989, we had a homeowner's loss- tornado tossed a 115 ft red oak all the way thru our house. You would not believe how hard it is to find a sofa in a jumbled mess like that- much less a jewelry box. We had mahagony furniture we had bought 20 years prior- receipts LONG gone- but we had pictures. All we needed.

7. Musket

Musket New Member

C3, who is your insurance company?

I was recently quoted by my insurance company, and have spent the last two days arguing with them--they require serial numbers. Its company policy.

Given that we could have a seriously anti gun crowd being elected this year, I am reluctant to share this info for obvious reasons. My guns are legal and have been entered into the system needed. However I do not see the reason the insurance company would need the numbers up front. They gave me weak reasons--like they would need the numbers just in case there is a claim. I told them I keep the numbers secure in multiple places (including a safe deposit) and I would be happy to provide them at the time of any claim. They were not wiling to budge and demanded the serials up front "for identification purposes".

I am disappointed, up until now I have been very happy with my carrier.

So, I am now shopping around.

As far as the homeowners coverage, there are limits to the policy--a specific total dollar amount (which is not very high I might add).

8. Mark F

I didn't provide anything to my Insurance Co. regarding my guns. The photos & serial numbers are for my personal proof of ownership if ever needed. I have a $15,000.00 policy on my guns. It costs about 10 dollars a year.

9. Musket

Musket New Member

what company? I would like to get some quotes. :)

10. Mark F

Farmers Insurance.

11. Musket

Musket New Member

Thanks a bunch :D

I will probably move all my policies (I prefer to keep everything together--its easy and usually results in a multi line discount).

The initial CSR I spoke to went round with me, and simply could NOT understand why this was such an important issue to me. She was polite, but freely admitted that she was unclear why this was such a problem.

I have to admit, even when working through the food chain of people who clearly could not give me a really good answer as to why they require the numbers, they were all at least professional and respectful.

However, this does not change the situation that they are adament about requiring numbers, and I am adament in my refusal to provide them.....

Thanks again, I am going to go make some calls.....

Oh, and when I explained I would be moving everything, they were surprised, because in all likelyhood, I won't find rates as good as what I am getting now (I have done some random comparisons in the past, and this is true), and yet I would still move my policies over this issue.

I explained that I was willing to pay more for something this important. Just like I am willing to pay a little more for products & services from companies that employ Americans. Its a matter of principal.

I dont want to move from this company, but feel I am correct in my position about who exactly I give my serial numbers to--much like I don't freely hand out my ssn either......

sigh, nothing is easy anymore. :(

12. marysdad

marysdad Member

I opted not to go with my homeowner's carrier and insure my firearms and (200+ piece) bayonet collection with Collectibles Insurance Agency http://www.collectinsure.com/index.html.

They have been around for many years and have a good reputation in the collecting community. You have to tell them what firearms you are insuring and what you value each one at. However, no serial number reporting, except on single firearms valued in excess of $5,000.

For me, one concern with the homeowner's policies is that employees and contractors in the local broker's office potentially have access to information that you have guns. Honestly, I'm waaay more concerned about a local taking my guns than I am the government. Another concern is that, if I have a firearms loss, the homeowner's carrier will raise my entire policy rate, not just the premium for firearms coverage. Collectibles Insurance Agency is cheaper than most homeowner's carriers and also provides coverage at almost any location (at shows, in the car, in transit to a buyer, new gun in transit from a seller, etc.).

Generally, I would say go with your homeowner's policy if the amount of coverage doesn't require a firearms rider (most carriers will let you cover up to $5,000 without a special firearms rider). If you are a serious collector or otherwise need a substantial amount of coverage, go with a separate policy from an insurer that specializes in insuring collectibles.

13. Musket

Musket New Member

Thanks for this great info :)

Yes, I do have concerns about who knows I have guns, but since I dont have a local agent, its less of a worry. The home office is in TX and I am in New England.

Although, that does not mean I am absolutely protected. However, anyone that can make it past the dragon dogs (my massive 100+ lb hounds that go insane if anyone even comes near the house), and the 6'5 husband and then into the 700lb fireproof safe---well then they can have them :)

I will try this collectors insurance for a quote though.

14. Mark F

As I had mentioned earlier, I didn't have to provide photos OR serial numbers to my Agent, just an "estimated" net value. If I had to provide that info, I would have walked away.