Do you have to have a choke to hunt turkey

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by applesauce69, Nov 14, 2011.

1. applesauce69

applesauce69 New Member

do you have to have a choke to hunt turkey or can you hunt without one

2. TLuker

TLuker New Member

No you do not, but it helps.

3. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

No, but ya might want to pattern your shot to see how far it will reach out.

4. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

No you don't, just pattern your gun and stay within it's ranges. You also don't need a 3 1/2" magnum or a 3" for that matter...don't believe the hype.

5. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

you can hunt turky without a gun if you can throw rocks good enough

6. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Damn thats the truth I have killed turkeys every year for over 30 yrs all with a winchester model 12 16 guage ,not one of those birds went anywhere after the shot I use 2 1/2 inch regular shoty shells. They are birds not bears leave the high dollar **** on the shelf

7. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

ROTHFLMAO!!!:D
    Use an old blunderbuss and you can throw a lot of rocks at once!:eek:
    How about a sling shot?

8. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i agree, you don't need the 3 or 3.5 magnums for turkey. all they do is give you a little more range. people hunted and killed turkey's for years before the longer shells came out.

9. natman

natman Member

I'm going to guess that you mean do you need a special turkey choke. No, you don't. You don't need 3 or 3.5 inch magnums either, in the sense that you will certainly be able to kill a turkey with 2 3/4" shells.

The turkey chokes and longer shells do give you more range. How important that is depends on where and how you hunt.

What do you have now?

10. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i'm not for sure if you were asking whether you need a turkey choke or shooting without a choke in the gun. if asking if you need a turkey choke, no you don't need a special choke to hunt turkey, just go to a larger shot in your shells. if asking about shoooting a shotgun without the choke installed, no, because it will ruin the threads where the choke screws into the barrel.