Do You Have a Truck Gun?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by SGWGunsmith, Feb 10, 2018.

1. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Up here in the northwoods, we don't have a whole lot of people, but what we do have is quite a few "toothy critters", including black bear, coyotes and wolves. I have come upon a few collisions whereas some driver "schmucked" a deer with his "hybrid". The hybrid was killed but the deer only crippled. Can't stand to see that sort of thing, about the poor deer, I mean. So, in those events and because I'd really like to keep my hide intact, along with a first aide kit, I have a truck gun, along with #000 buckshot and sabot slugs.
    [​IMG]

AZdave likes this.
  2. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

I love me some truck guns so I keep 4-5 inside. A ruger sp101 .357, a stag 15 5.56, a Mossberg 500 12 gauge, a winchester model 70 3006 and a Marlin model 60. I'll post some pics later.

3. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

i have several that are rotated as truck guns, rifles, shotguns and pistols.

CloverLeaf likes this.
  4. Ghost1958

Ghost1958 Well-Known Member

SKS behind the seat.

5. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

My dedicated truck gun is an SKS. It's behind the seat and it's loaded.

6. PaBushMan

PaBushMan Well-Known Member

Car gun here lol. It is what ever im carrying that day.

ifithitu, Danoobie, JimRau and 2 others like this.
  7. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

I’m with PaBushMan. It’s typically whatever I grab on the way out the door. I’m currently in the process of moving though so it’s 4 AR’s and 13 different handguns for the time being.

JimRau and PaBushMan like this.
  8. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

Just a 1911. Still take the grandkids to school.
    Biggest thing around here is a coyote. Altough black bear and llama have been seen.
    Of course the police shoot the occasional wandering bovine now and then.

towboater likes this.
  9. Judah_BenHur

Judah_BenHur Member

Maybe I don't understand...but I think I do, and I'm guessing it's which gun do you leave in the truck.
    I always have a gun, so I guess when I'm in the truck it's a truck gun. I do have specific ones I prefer to carry depending on where I might be going or doing, but nothing really outside of the usual CC rotation.

I'm in the woods all the time and there yes, I will usually pack something more persuasive of the long variety.

But I never..ever..leave a gun in any vehicle. The occasions that I have to, courthouse, post office, etc..I park in a location that would be mighty brazen for even the bravest thug to attempt a break in, and I use a lock box.
    I got it from Al Gore since he never used it.

Those days of casually leaving a gun in your vehicle as a matter of practice are, imo, long gone.

kfox75 likes this.
  10. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

While it is legal in this state to have a loaded firearm in the vehicle, at all times, as long as you have a LTCF, you arelimited to handguns or Class 3 items, non long guns (Loaded, concealable only. So my own answer is it depends, on what me or my passengers have on them, or place in the glove box or console\door pockets.

And given where I live, if we are not in the car\truck, the guns ain't in it either.

See, the criminals here know that you can legally store a handgun, SBS, SBR, silencer, ect. in your vehicle here, so, if they see it come out once, and not go back in, they will come over and investigate at a safer time. More than one handgun has been stolen out of someone's car here in the city. So no, we don't have a dedicated "Truck Gun."

Now, I am starting to see the new Mossberg\Remington 26 inch "Firearms" showing up on used shelves locally, for far less than they were new, with low round counts (Wonder why? :rolleyes:), so I may pick up a 20 ga one at some point, as a In with me, out with me, type truck gun in the next few months. However, it will never be left in the vehicle if at all possible, as a few on here have had both the vehicle, and the firearm grow a new driver and take off (Gunman 41 Mag was one of those people, to the tune of a shotgun and a handgun, along with his less than 5 YO F 250.)

And I really don't want that knock on my door, telling me they found my ______, along with a couple dead bodies, when someone tried to hold up a local C Store, or decided to pull a drive by on the wrong house. Especially a long gun, as most "savy" criminals tend to illegally modify them to shorter than the legal length at some point, turning them into cash you just threw out.

had that happen to a buddy of mine back in NY, when he left his target model 10/22 in the trunk of his car, and the car was taken. LE found his "SBR" that looked like a butchered Charger Pistol, and destroyed it, rather than returning, it.

And no, even in a firearms friendly state, I don't trust LE to be gun savy enough to know that you can remove two screws, replace the stock and barrel, and have it back to legal again.

Dallas53 and PaBushMan like this.
  11. AZdave

AZdave Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine is in a clamshell steel box.
    I have to give some thought on securing a shotgun inside a truck.

12. RaySendero

RaySendero Active Member

My truck rifle in 303B:

[​IMG]

Was given to me FREE.
    JIC - I keep clip with me in my pocket.
    so...If truck or rifle is stolen they get a rifle w/o clip or bullets.
    But vehicle thief or break-ins aren't a problem around here.

13. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

Id be worried someone would break a window if I kept that many in my truck.

Dallas53 likes this.
  14. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

It varies depending on hunting seasons but I generally keep a AR pistol in the truck with a few loaded mags. It has accounted for three deer, five coyotes and a stack of smaller vermin. It is dead nuts reliable if for some reason the Antifers have an uprising my town of 500. Best part is I dont have to worry about dinging it up--I think the only thing I had to buy was the brace and barrel. The rest came from my spare parts box/stack of stripped lowers seem to have accumulated so cost was minimal.

15. Danoobie

Danoobie Well-Known Member

Side window on truck: 160$(ask me how I know)
    Getting your day ruined, as well as a pet rifle stolen: The bloody awful end of "priceless"...

JimRau likes this.
  16. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The only time I have a 'truck gun' is when I am on a road trip. Then I have my 336 Marlin with a 1 3/4 X 6 Leopold on it and I DO NOT leave it in the truck over night. ;)

17. FAS1

FAS1 Member

I can understand a "Truck Gun" if living in remote area like the OP, but I'm a city boy so no truck gun... but when I'm in my truck I have a gun.

JimRau likes this.
  18. Dallas53

Dallas53 Well-Known Member

it doesn't take but a few seconds to bust a side window on a vehicle, and a minute or so to steal some guns from it.

buddy of mine years ago, parked in front of the hardware store, right on the main drag in town, broad daylight, got out, locked his truck, and was in the store for maybe five minutes. came back out, found broken glass on the ground, and both his gun that were in the gun rack in the back window were gone. that happened in small town with a population of about 1000 people at the time.

and a thief doesn't care how much damage he does to your vehicle trying to get something he wants from it either. so this doesn't just apply to having a gun or guns in the vehicle, but anything that could be considered valuable by a thief. there are many instances where vehicle robberies are a crime of random opportunity. thief walks by, sees something he thinks might be worth a few bucks, looks around, sees an easy score, and poof it's gone. out of sight, out of mind.

schnuffleupagus and kfox75 like this.
  19. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Keep em out of sight.

schnuffleupagus likes this.
  20. SRK97

SRK97 Well-Known Member Supporter

20180210_193627.jpg

Mine are in a bin

towboater likes this.