Do you have a least favorite cartridge?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Shopfox, Nov 13, 2018.

1. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

My papa used to tell a story about a guy named Jack that was a scrapper in the 1950-s 60s and he was in a fight the guy shot him with a 25Auto and Jack beat his a$$ six ways from Sunday...walked out to his pick up, sat on the tailgate and then died.

Whether it was true or apocryphal...i never even considered owning one.

dwmiller likes this.
  2. Shopfox

Shopfox Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm going with 22 birdshot. My dad bought me a box for shooting birds off the barn roof and tv antenna. I cursed it's ineffectiveness as a kid. It was bad enough to make me put the rifle back down and grab a BB gun. Only some years later when fixing his antenna, did I notice a 22 caliber hole in one of the antenna beams. I don't think I ever mentioned that to dad.

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

If .25 ACP is so horrible, why is it still a pretty common cartridge? It just seems pretty strange for a old and outdated cartridge that everybody hates you can still buy it almost anywhere...

my answer to the thread is 8mm Nambu.. Only one company makes it anymore and its not loaded to the original spec. Its under powered with a lighter bullet so it really doesnt work on a majority of Nambus...

4. Maser

Maser Well-Known Member

First cartridge that comes to mind is the .44-40 Win. When I was younger, a friend of mine left his lever gun with me while he went out of the country and of course I wanted to fire it and I had a hell of a time trying to find .44-40 ammo.

dwmiller likes this.
  5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Well-Known Member

People bought the Pontiac Aztek too. No accounting for taste.

30-40 Krag. I inherited a pretty nice Krag Jorgenson Rifle. Ammo is rare, expensive and usually out of stock. I finally accumulated the stuff I need to reload it, so once I find the time...

6. 1911NUT

1911NUT Well-Known Member

I've got a 1916 Colt army in 32-20. I can find rounds, but your options are fairly limited.

dwmiller and EclecticShooter like this.
  7. sheriffjohn

sheriffjohn Well-Known Member Supporter

Early pyrodex pellets. not exactly "cartridges", but the most unreliable ammo I ever used (my favorite guns don't use cartridges). I bought a half-dozen packages when they first came out, still have two. The other were some combustible paper cartridges from Dixie Gunworks for revolvers.

dwmiller likes this.
  8. EclecticShooter

EclecticShooter Well-Known Member

Once you do, you'll like it. At least I do. I shoot and 1898 Krag and an 1895 Winchester. Both very pleasant and highly capable.

dwmiller likes this.
  9. hairbear1

hairbear1 Well-Known Member

243...........................has to be 1 of the most over rated cartridges ever. It's somewhere between a hot .22(22/250AI/.220 Swift) and something like a .308.

It's a parody of a cartridge that I'll admit has done some good things as a varmint round but is just on the cusp of being a serious hunting round but everybody gets a hard on for it..

10. tac foley

tac foley Well-Known Member

Me, I'm just way too grateful to be able to shoot ANY cartridge, let alone be picky about how they function or not. Here in yUK you really HAVE to want to shoot anything to make it worthwhile, so being disappointed with your choice is a highly unlikely event.

11. formerCav

formerCav Well-Known Member

Over the years, I've done the .22, 25ACP, 32, 38SPCL, 357, 41Mag, 44SPCL, 44Mag, 45ACP and 45Colt.
    .223, .243, .270 win, 7.62 x 39, .308/7.62 x 51 Nato, 30-06, 6.5 x .284
    53 years worth. different "genre's" .... NRA Highpower, 300 meter international match, NRA long distance (600 yard belly gun), Palma ..800, 900, 1000 yards iron sights,
    prairie dogging, deer hunting, and just plain "plinking" and or practice.
    handguns I've done the IPSC, bowling pins, plinking and or practice and CCW qualifications.
    I've FINALLY come to the same conclusion that I had in 1968 in Vietnam. there are 2 cartridges worth having.
    45ACP and 7.62 NATO.
    The rest is all FLUFF....exceptions... if you have over 100K to go to Africa on a "BIG 3" hunt, well then you need that minimum of 375H&H!!
    OH, and BTW.... 175 grain sierra match king in .308 with 45.0 grains of Varget and standard winchester large rifle primer in a R/P nickel case ( easy to find in the grass) stays SUPERSONIC at 1000 yards!! YMMV.....REDUCE LOADS 10% and work up.... All DISCLAIMERS apply!!

OOPS... guess I should READ.... LEAST favorite. well that would be 25ACP

dwmiller, Shopfox and schnuffleupagus like this.
  12. Shopfox

My first rifle purchase was a .308. At the time, I had no mentor or knowledge that it wasn't "the right gun" for groundhogs. My farthest shot was 160 yards. I was walking, saw it, and dropped to one knee. I agree, it's a caliber worth owning.

dwmiller likes this.
  13. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

There were two versions made. Model 610 is a single shot and Model 611 was a magazine fed version. The 610 I have a picture of is serial number 1 and the barrel dating is not present. The 611 is not serial numbered, but the barrel date code denotes January of 1964.
    The actions appear to be very similar to the Model 510 and 511 style, but the cartridge pressure was bit overwhelming for these actions, so the project was dropped.

dwmiller likes this.
  14. SGWGunsmith

SGWGunsmith Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, we are indeed very lucky to live where we do, and able to own the weaponry that we have. And, we are entitled to vent our opinions when asked "Do you have a LEAST favorite cartridge?". I haven't read where anyone said the .25 ACP cartridge was "horrible", it's just a least favorite of some here, including myself.
    I had one customer back when I had my gunshop down in southeastern Wisconsin who still has a .25 ACP slug imbedded in his shoulder from an irate husband who caught him in his bedroom back when.
    I've shot several .25 ACP pistols and they are the most notorious bullets for ricocheting that I've ever seen, so for those of you who adore that cartridge, I hope you wear armour underwear. There is some very vulnerable flesh in that area. :p

15. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

dwmiller likes this.
  16. Balota

Balota ... but I used to play keyboards. Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

My least favorite cartridge (among those I own guns for) is 357mag. I guess I'm just recoil sensitive or something. I managed to make Sharpshooter in both IDPA Revolver divisions before they changed to the new rule book. But I mostly pull down (anticipate) on 357 even though I've broken that habit with all my other guns including 38spl, 9mm and 45ACP.

For long guns, I went to my roommate's home for Thanksgiving my first year in college. Never shot a gun before that day. My roommate gave me a shotgun his little brother had just finished cleaning up and loading for me. Unbeknownst to him, his little brother had reloaded a couple "special" 12 gauge shells. They were badly overcharged. They were put in a side-by-side shotgun with 2 triggers. When I fired one shell, the recoil was so severe my finger slipped back to the 2nd trigger. Boom-boom. Nearly broke my collarbone. Took a pretty big chunk out of a pine tree. I'd have to say those two shells were my least favorite shells ever!

dwmiller likes this.
  17. gwpercle

gwpercle Active Member

Since I like to cast my own bullets and use them in reloads ....at the moment the 9 mm Luger is my least favorite.
    The 9 mm , cast lead bullets and semi-auto pistols with little or no throat in them all conspire to give you problems. These new compact 9 mm's gave me so much trouble I actually cursed the infernal things.
    I kept working on solving all the little glitches and finally got it all worked out but I came close to throwing in the towel a couple times.
    And I've been loading cast bullets for 50 years .... I tell you the 9 mm Luger is just a little stinker !
    Gary

dwmiller, Overkill0084 and Shopfox like this.
  18. Shopfox

I was just reading up on casting. I have a 444 Marlin and 44 Mag, and was looking at the cost of lead vs. buying lead bullets (No great sources of lead). I figure it saves about $0.06 per bullet. About how much would a basic setup cost?

dwmiller likes this.
  19. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

But not very many people bought the Aztec.. it was only made 4 years and I dont think Ive even seen one in real life.... :p
    .25 ACP is over 100 years old and common enough I can still buy it pretty much anywhere that sells ammo... I just find it kinda odd for a caliber with such a bad reputation has lasted so long without becoming obsolete...

dwmiller likes this.
  20. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Well, the .25 ACP was a creation of.... wait for it....Jon M. Browning. It was intended to duplicate the ballistics of a .22 LR fired from a 2 inch barrel- but be more reliable in feeding (semi-rimmed vs. rimmed) and in firing (center fire vs rim fire)

Not my favorite- but not my least liked either.

dwmiller, 303tom and Shopfox like this.