Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally I've been eyeballing that one Taurus 856 ultra lite 3 incher. I've carried a few handguns in the past and I always come back to the gosh darn revolver. I used to practice new york reloads a lot. Though it's likely I wont need more than the capacity of a revolver I used to love carrying a little .32 ACP mouse gun for backup.

·
Registered
288 Posts
There has been an old saying going around for a while- something like- " If you need more than 2 or 3 rounds- then you don't need to be carrying a gun".
I can promise you - that is pure 'Baloney Sausage'.
Not all self defense situations are the same. Some have only one attacker, some have three or more. In some situations you have good daylight and your "target" stands still right in front of you. In other situations it may be dark and you may be in a "run- dodge- jump" scenario. It is very difficult to hit a target under those conditions. You never know- and you can not plan it out. In some situations a 6 shot revolver may do just fine. In other situations you may need 15 or 20 rounds? You just never know what will happen and how.
Around here locally (country) I'll carry a pistol with a 7/8 round mag. If I go into town (city)- I usually carry a gun with a 13-17 round mag...and a spare mag!
Nothing wrong with a revolver- some of them shoot awfully good. BUT if you carry one- you should have some extra ammo- and pray you have a good opportunity to reload if necessary.

·
Premium Member
15,272 Posts
Yes.

Reactions: Bigcat

·
Premium Member
6,291 Posts
Do you feel Revolvers still have a place a primary means for concealed carry or home defense?
Sure.

Of course, in order for a person to be effective in an ugly situation then one has to be competent and capable with the chosen gun. Personally, I prefer having a greater number of rounds, but there's no denying the suitability of typical revolver calibers for defensive use. Every gun has pros and cons. Revolvers can be quite effective.

Have had a S&W 442 Airweight .38, some years ago. Much prefer a gun to have some heft, and the Airweight line-up are quite light so can be a handful for many people to fire accurately. My all-time favorite revolver is the Ruger Redhawk KRH-444 (or 5044) .44mag revolver in 4" barrel, for its balance and heft, though it's fairly stout for arrying all day every day. But, everyone's different.

If considering a specific handgun for purchase, definitely check your local FFL gun shop along with the list of certified/approved handguns at the state AG's website (in your other thread 'New to California'). Lots of handguns you'll find and drool over won't be on California's list. Bummer, but that's the way it is in the state.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
What ever turns your crank. Better to have a small revolver handy than a big gun you have to leave somewhere else. What ever the choice, practice with it to the point you know for a fact you can out shoot any potential adversary. Folks unwilling to master their weapon of choice have no business carrying anything. Known master class pistol shooters use revolvers with awe-inspiring results and semi-auto shooters do likewise. Fast is fun, accuracy's final.

·
Retired
13,842 Posts
If you have to be in a gun fight, have a gun.

Revolvers do have a place in SD.
My sweetheart does not get to the range as often as I do, so she likes the idea of picking it up and shooting a revolver more than a semi auto.

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
I think a revolver is ideal for some people.. like my Mom. She is not a gun nut like the rest of my family. We get her out shooting with us maybe a couple times a year. So the simplicity of "pick it up and squeeze" is best for her. No..is there one in the pipe..is the safety on/off..will i limp wrist and have a jam..etc. While your heart rate / breathing / adrenaline are thru the roof..For those of us that interact with our CC gun on a daily basis, and practice with it on a regular basis.. those things are less of a concern. So YES.. revolvers still have a place. Or if your just old school like my Dad, his duty weapon was a G17, or G22, depending on what they were issued at the time. But now he prefers to carry his Ruger Alaskan..that is on him all the time..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, revolvers are still valuable home defense, self defense tools. Just carry a speed loader and extra ammo with you.
I carry a semiauto 99% of the time, but feel well protected when I carry a revolver with me (fishing and woods carry).

·
Premium Member
15,272 Posts
My LCR is loaded with 38 spl 148 grain hollow base wadcutters. Easy to shoot and cuts it's way through.

Reactions: j102

·
Supporting Member
14,207 Posts
Resident,

My answer yes revolvers still have a place for self-defense IMO. And the compactness of the Taurus 85 series revolvers is very easy to conceal which makes the ideal in most incidents. In most incidents outside the home you are only dealing most of the time one individuals and two at the most rarely! 6 good self-defense rounds in a revolver should be enough if the victim is proficient with the revolver.
However, I have a slightly different view when it comes to home invasions. Because vary rarely is one person brave enough to do a home invasion when residents are in the home. So they are usually crimes that happen immediately and without warning as they kick a door in and charge into the home. They also do not seem to want to come alone to accomplish a home invasion. So IMO a good Semi Auto Pistol is a better consideration over revolver. Not that revolvers are bad but I feel better having a large caliber higher capacity pistol close at hand at the office, in my living room and bedroom in the home, all within arms length. By the time they started breaking in I would have something waiting for them. Oh did I mention the Double Barrel 12 ga over the Fireplace Mantel by my Recliner? :p

Reactions: j102 and ellis36

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Threads like this always bring out the "what if" brigade in full effect. It's not the gun, it's the guy/girl behind it. If you're well drilled enough with your EDC of choice to successfully engage, you don't need to fill the sky with 15-20 rounds.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There has been an old saying going around for a while- something like- " If you need more than 2 or 3 rounds- then you don't need to be carrying a gun".
I can promise you - that is pure 'Baloney Sausage'.
Not all self defense situations are the same. Some have only one attacker, some have three or more. In some situations you have good daylight and your "target" stands still right in front of you. In other situations it may be dark and you may be in a "run- dodge- jump" scenario. It is very difficult to hit a target under those conditions. You never know- and you can not plan it out. In some situations a 6 shot revolver may do just fine. In other situations you may need 15 or 20 rounds? You just never know what will happen and how.
Around here locally (country) I'll carry a pistol with a 7/8 round mag. If I go into town (city)- I usually carry a gun with a 13-17 round mag...and a spare mag!
Nothing wrong with a revolver- some of them shoot awfully good. BUT if you carry one- you should have some extra ammo- and pray you have a good opportunity to reload if necessary.
i was thinking of carrying a little beretta tomcat as a back up on my weak side. I'm actually a lefty shooter myself.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
For years I carried a Mdl 36 as a backup gun. Still keep a Model 40 as a bedside gun. While revolvers are fatter than most autos, they do not go out of battery and fail to fire if you are flat on your back, and just stuck it in the ribs of the bad guy on top of you.
the other great thing is if you need to fire and you cant get the gun out in time, You can shoot through your pants or jacket without getting the shirt sucked in to cause a failure to eject or to chamber the next round.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sure.

Of course, in order for a person to be effective in an ugly situation then one has to be competent and capable with the chosen gun. Personally, I prefer having a greater number of rounds, but there's no denying the suitability of typical revolver calibers for defensive use. Every gun has pros and cons. Revolvers can be quite effective.

Have had a S&W 442 Airweight .38, some years ago. Much prefer a gun to have some heft, and the Airweight line-up are quite light so can be a handful for many people to fire accurately. My all-time favorite revolver is the Ruger Redhawk KRH-444 (or 5044) .44mag revolver in 4" barrel, for its balance and heft, though it's fairly stout for arrying all day every day. But, everyone's different.

If considering a specific handgun for purchase, definitely check your local FFL gun shop along with the list of certified/approved handguns at the state AG's website (in your other thread 'New to California'). Lots of handguns you'll find and drool over won't be on California's list. Bummer, but that's the way it is in the state.

i did so ahead of time. Happy to say the Taurus 856 is legal (as it should be). Meets all the requirements. The high vis front site is a nice touch and that extra +1 round of .38 +P goodness at the ready. I know for a lot of people 1-2 rounds doesnt mean much. But when we are talking 5, 6, or 7 rounds? Big game changer. Was thinking of a little Tomcat 8 round .32 as deep concealment back up.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts