Do You Ever Put Your Gun Away...DIRTY....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by LONGHAIR, Nov 25, 2011.

1. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Anybody here put there guns away Dirty...I clean mine after every shooting...My Friend says you don't have to clean your gun every time you shoot-it...I'm still going to clean mine,but whats your take on leaving them Dirty for a couple of shooting before you clean them ???...:confused:......

2. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I may leave them if I only shot them a couple of times. Any more than that and I break out the cleaning kit.

3. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

Don't that stuff-in the barrel of the gun build-up,and it's harder to clean next time???....

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

if i fired less than 50 rounds ill store em dirty. 22's i clean when they start getting too filthy to function or i feel like it.

my self defense guns get cleaned after shooting. i dont carry them if they are dirty from range time.

5. paulbrower

paulbrower New Member

Walther PK380, S&W BodyGuard 380, Luger LCP: YES
    Gen4 Glock 17 and 27 ... NO. Can easily shoot a few thousand rounds between cleaning. (This is why I wish Glock would make a pocket pistol ... Or at least a slim sub-compact)

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

6. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

I'm not sure. If I only shoot them a couple (1-10) of times, there is virtually no or very little powder residue in the barrel. (Depending on the type of gun)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  7. subie-jeep

subie-jeep New Member

i clean my .22s every 1k rounds or so,everything else gets cleaned right when i get home from the range.if i just fire a few rounds to check zero for another day i just wait.a lot of people i know have never cleaned there 10+ year old hunting bolt actions and .44 wheelguns.unless you are shooting corrosive ammo or it is so dirty it is affecting performance i don't think it will really hurt anything,but i just like keeping all of my stuff clean and in good condition anyway.

8. gutz47

gutz47 New Member

I clean my guns everytime after shooting. Hell, sometimes I clean them again just for the hell of it when I'm bored. I practice putting them back together and loading them as fast as I can.

9. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I have, but I usually clean them the next day. And I do find it kind of relaxing cleaning my guns.

10. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I clean my firearms after everytime I shoot them and wipe them down a tad after I handle them daily.

11. vincent

vincent New Member

Relaxing it is, I'll take 2 or 3 hours on one gun sometimes, soak, rinse, scrub, repeat. Get downright anal at times, good therapy.

.22 when it gets gummed up...not too often, never makes it more than 1K before things get sticky

12 ga maybe once or twice a year, all depends how much I shoot it

Revolvers when I can't stand to look at them filthy anymore

Semis I do keep track of how many shots, never more than 500 or so before a bath

Corrosive ammo...RIGHT AWAY!!!

EDC every 2 weeks w/o shooting, immediately after range trip when I do

I'll wipe 'em down before they hit the safe, the felt is light gray and grime shows up easily

So to answer the question...sometimes

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

They never get put away dirty. Plain and simple, fouling fouls and can reduce reliability, and rust is just plain ugly at least until it gets so bad as to weaken the critical areas.

I don't clean after every shot, and I carry a revolver which is much more forgiving than some autos, but it gets cleaned after every session, even if it's only to use one shot to kill a snake or something. Granted a single shot to a snake only really warrants a wipe down, it still qualifies as cleaning.

13. MrWray

MrWray New Member

I never put my guns away dirty,except my ruger 10/22..she likes it, cause she told me so. I kinda have OCD about gun cleaning.even if i havent shot my guns in a while " say a few weeks at a time" i will clean them and rub them down. I have a paranoia that dust will settle inside the barrels and actions and it just bugs me

14. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

Dirty all the time.

Deer rifles stay fouled for obvious reasons.

Glocks don't need cleaned

22s only need cleaned when they start to run amuck

Shotguns only need a wipedown.

I do clean my 308 everytime. That's about the only one.

15. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I do the same thing. I have a little Phoenix Arms HP25 that hasn't been fired in well over a year but ive cleaned it about 7-8 times anyway. Whenever I pull a gun out of the safe I always look at the barrel and see some dust or lint there and give it a good scrubbing.

Before I go to the range ill do a quick patch down the barrel and oil everything up, after the range I do a full strip on everything fired.. and back to the safe they go until I have that random itch to just take everything out and clean them again.

16. Muliemaster

Muliemaster New Member

Good to see most have common sense about proper gun care. Clean them an enjoy them or dont an wonder why huh

17. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR New Member

How do you get (water) out of a Scope,with-out taking-it all apart????.....

18. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Aim in another direction? :D

19. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I clean range guns after shooting.
    I shoot a couple of rounds through HD and SD firearms after cleaning.

IMO, if I have a brain-fade when cleaning, I know the HD / SD are working while the range firearms can go back in the box if they don't work correctly.

(I've seen where recoil spring rods have not be put back correctly after cleaning)

20. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

What is the "obvious reason" deer rifles stay fouled? I can't figure out why that would be?

My guns..........I clean my revolver every time I shoot it. It's very easy to clean and she is just so purty when she's all cleaned up. And a revolver gets dirty around the cylinder and it doesn't look nice. The Mark II, I don't clean as often because JonM and Stalkingbear said it's okay to not clean it after every shooting and that's good enough for me. :D