Do you cheap out on knives?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by txpossum, Aug 11, 2013.

1. txpossum

txpossum New Member

I'm bored, and haven't seen a thread that approaches name calling on here for a while. Lets see if I can get a discussion up here.

How many of y'all cheap out on knives? Buy the internet of WalMart specials. Don't know, or care, what steel you knife made of, and, hey, if it ever gets dull, just go down and buy $10.

Now, by "cheap out", I'm talking about those who don't, or won't spend more than $50.00 for a knife. And don't care whether or not it will shave your arm hair.

I think a lot of reason that people will accept inferior knives is that they have never used a quality blade.

2. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

I have a Klein hawk bill, bout $30 when bought it several years ago.. Does anything I ask of it..

3. txpossum

txpossum New Member

What do you ask it to do?

4. spack762

spack762 New Member

Oh Im game! Indeed I bought a coldsteel 'leatherneck sf' off of wally.com, for, you guest it! 50.00$ lol

I research all I can about the knife i wish to get. Hate buying without seeing and holding one first. Truth is ive never spent more then 120$ for a knife. Id pay more if I found the right one.

5. Steel_Talon

Steel_Talon New Member

The BEST cheap fixed blade knives that I like, are the "Mora" blades, high carbon steel, with the "Scandi-grind" easy to sharpen to a scary wicked edge, cheap enough and rugged enough to abuse and replace if needed.

Cheap enough to buy several and stash them away in tool boxes, bug bags, etc. I buy them from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Amora%20knife

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  6. deadsp0t

deadsp0t New Member

Just average stuff in my daily life.. Cut plastic film, cardboard etc.. Open blister pack type packages, dig grease from under my finger nails.. Nothing to major.. It's made for splitting the sheathing on large size electrical wire.
    It has a plastic handle so its fairly light and after several years its still tight as the day I bought it.

I did break the tip trying to pry a burnt electrical connector apart, but that's my fault.

7. jigs-n-fixture

jigs-n-fixture Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I have a few custom knives, one that I designed, too cut diaphragms out, and had a shirttail cousin make off a wax pattern. Several of them were made out of shot out mini-gun barrels, hammer forged into a steel that resembles Damascus steel, but is harder.

That said: My daily carry is a pre WWII, Schrade Walden, Improved Muskrat. The brothers, both of whom collect knives, just about messed their panties when they realized how old it is. I search eBay for them about every three weeks, and have managed to get three NOS, all told.

8. Werminator

Werminator Member

I personally use a lot of cheaper knives. Infact, the only knife I own over $100 is a Silver Stagg hunting knife my best friend bought me as a gift to say thanks for being his best man... I have been very pleased with most of the knives I have bought and have not been let down yet. I am not really thrashing the hell out of them but I do use them a lot and I can do so without the nagging fear of damaging anything costly. I will admit that I am aware of the blade steels I use though. I have a number of them in 8cr13mov which is very inexpensive but has done well for my purposes. I have an older benchmade pika in 154cm and I don't like it at all. The steel must have seen some unusual heat treat or something because I can't get it sharp to save my life. I thought maybe I was the problem so I let a buddy take a shot at it. He has been making knives of his own and he is a sharp tools enthusiast. He brought the knife back to me a few weeks later and said he had done the best he could but that he didn't feel he had done any better than I had. My favorite blade so far has been my kershaw skyline in 14c28n Sandvik steel. I have used it a ton and without touching it up managed to SLICE my finger.... It was way sharper than I expected it would be after everything i put it through. I like that I can toss it in my pocket and if I somehow lose it I am only out 30 bucks or so. I will admit, expensive blades are not without merit, some are beautiful and in many cases the blade steels and handle materials are much better, but I don't do enough with most of mine to be wanting for more.

9. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

If you are in the "High Country" during elk season and you see a seasoned hunter skinning an elk? His old worn Carharts are blooded and his saddle most likely will be cracked and patched. His Savage 99 .300 will show a life of snow storms and scabbard wear. His knife an "Old Hickory" butcher knife. They can be sharpened very fast and no one knife will finish an elk without honing.;)

10. bigjim

bigjim New Member

tx, you really must be bored to want to start this thread. (fight).

But i don't really see a need for any knife over $10.00 (except the one to carve the turkey on thanksgiving). I do have a Kershaw that my wife bought me 30 years ago for my birthday before we were married. And a Buck (45 yrs old) that I have taken all over the US with me backpacking, camping, white water rafting and hunting. (I also have it's twin brother I bought 10 years ago, for around $30.00).

The only thing I carry around with me every day is a pink (yes I said pink) Kershaw 2 1/2 inch that CDNN sent me free of charge with a order some 1 or 2 years ago. (really sharp knife for opening on-line orders.)

So let the fight begin, just don't use any of my blades for it. (LOL)

Jim

These are just some that I have purchased over the years, there is another 10 or 15 not shown.

[​IMG]

11. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm a believer in you get what you pay for, as long as its not just name recognition. Cold Steel were what I started with for daily work, but I have found good Schrade, Böker and MicroTech blades that are strong, sharp and do what is asked of them. It is helpful to understand knife steel types and what each is good for to buy what you need. You can find a simplified primer here.

My wife never believed in spending money on a knife, then she used one supplied by a friend. She was amazed at how sharp and how well she could control and use it. She's been sold on buying quality ever since.

12. readygirl

readygirl New Member

I have a few nice knives (over $50)LOL....But they just sit in the safe, never used. My Cold Steel Hunter stays in the door pocket of my truck. I really dont have much day to day use for a knife...I use a box cutter quite a bit at the shop. What i would really like to have is a nice set of kitchen knives. All i have now is a mish-mosh of junk wallyworld, etc. Any suggestions....? A set for under $300...?

13. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Anybody try the ceramic kitchen knives..? What did you think..? How do you sharpen them..?

14. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Yes, I cheap out on knives. My knives are never worn out from being sharpened to many times. Most of the time my knives are broken by using them for a pry bar or a chisel. I buy $11 cold steel knives or a $30 schrade. To me a knife is a tool that will be sacrificed to finish a job or get a days work started. I have a Schrade sharpfinger I keep in good condition for skinning. I also have a couple filet knives that were inexpensive I use for cleaning fish and deboning large game. I do have a couple old hickory knives for general kitchen work.

15. KingGlamis

KingGlamis New Member

I only buy cheap knives. Don't need them for self defense so one that will cut a box open works just fine. The most expensive knife I have is a Swiss Army knife the wife bought me many years ago. All my pocket and "Rambo" knives are cheapos. I respect a quality knife like I respect a Ferrari. Just can't afford either.l

16. TekGreg

Look into a starter set from J.A. Henckels with the wood block that includes a sharpening steel - and learn to use it! I have had mine for 25 years and it has served daily in my kitchen. For the price point you mention, this should fit nicely.

They are fantastic knives! You never sharpen them. The only thing that can happen is that the blade chips, in which case it is ruined. However, this only happens if you try to cut bone or chop on a hard surface with it. Use a cutting mat or block and they go through everything quite efficiently.

17. txpossum

txpossum New Member

Why does everybody think that Cold Steel knives are so great. Got, have they got a propaganda department.

I used to have about 20 Cold Steel knives. This was about 15 years ago, back when they were made from their Carbon V steel, which had a performance similar to O-1, not the current AUS 8 they use for most of their knives. I had the Trailmaster, the SRK (which I still keep in one of my "get home bags", the Recon Tanto, the Mini Tanto, the Hai Hancho (the original, with the deep cut serrations), two Outdoorsman, two mini Outdoorsman; California Drop Point; two of their double edged push daggers, which I think were called the Defenders, and several of their San Mai folding knives in various sizes and shapes. The old knives were better than what they have out today. And you know what? They are medicore. At best, they are middle of the road. Sure, you can buy worse, but to listen to their hype you would think they were the greatest blades since Excaliber, when they are just decent knives. Really. They just piss the hell out of me. How many people here have tried the old Effingham Blackjacks, Bark River, Fallniven, Chris Reeve; Zero Tolerance -- to name a few. Not to mention Benchmade and Spyderco.

18. JW357

JW357 New Member

I'm gonna be honest I don't know the first thing about knife steel. My current knife is a ridiculously low quality thing that would prolly make you cry, Possum. I paid $11 at a gun show for it. I believe it says "WarTech" on the blade, right above "Made in China." The guy was asking $12 for it. I guess I got about a 9% discount.

I can think of precisely no reason why I would care if a knife can shave my arm hair. A knife is a knife, even in self defense, if you stab a man with a knife with a broken tip it'll still cause a world of pain.

Some knives are works of art, and I respect them for their beauty. I would never use them for a practical purpose. Just like I would never own one unless its a gift.

Maybe. So I'm not a hunter, not a fisher, don't carry a knife for self defense, am no champion knife thrower, and don't put swords down my throat in my spare time. Can you please explain to me why me using a quality blade would make me want to shell out the money for one? What application do I have in my life that an $11 knife simply isn't good enough?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not knocking quality knives. I want you to sell me on it right now. Convince me.

19. AR10

AR10 New Member

I buy higher dollar knives, because I like quality. First thing I do with a new knife is try to cut a piece of steel with it. I have no use for a knife that is razor sharp, in my hands or, in my pockets. Not a big fan of injury or healing wounds. A semi sharp knife, is most always sharp enough.

I prefer spring assist knives. I keep a sog multi tool with two spring assist blades in one pocket, and a custom Kershaw spring assist with two blades, I made from two knives. One blade I keep in pretty good condition, while the other one is my abuse blade. A single Kershaw can be had at Wal-Mart for about sixty dollars. Have four of them I rotate through different pants pockets. Fun having a knife, no one else has. Sog is from Amazon, about the same price.

ForumRunner_20130812_030347.jpg

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  20. TekGreg

TX, you'll note in my post I said "started out with" Cold Steel. That was back in 1980 when the company was founded, and they were very good. I make no statement of their quality now as I have none of the current models. I have been told their quality is only median at this point, but have no first-hand knowledge, so I hope you weren't referring to me when you said, "greatest thing since Excalibur." Several knife dealers have tried to buy the Cold Steel knives I still own, but I have not been tempted to sell them. I believe there are many custom knife makers and manufacturers now that make a higher quality product than Cold Steel.